“Excellent for City Break”
Review of Goat Hostel

Goat Hostel
Ranked #155 of 666 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed July 6, 2012

After doing plenty of research, we decided to stay at the Goat Hostel. We stayed in the private double room with shared bathroom and overall were very happy with it. The room was basic and clean with a view out onto the street and the shared bathroom caused no problems at all, though I can see how it may get a bit congested during busy periods.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful showing us where to see and go, and made us a nice cup of coffee every morning. The location is also excellent within walking distance of the city center, But there is also a metro station at the top of the road if your legs are a bit tired. The market at the bottom of the road is a great place to visit and there is also a street at the top of the road with loads of quality restaurants.

Goat Hostel highly recommended for backpackers and young couples on a sight seeing weekend!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Goat Hostel

Reviewed June 28, 2012

The staff was friendly and so helpful with navigating this confusing, foreign city.
The accommodations were excellently clean and invitingly colorful.
Breakfast provided was a delightful surprise!
Wifi was strong and consistent and available throughout.
An awesome Lounge is available with computers and inviting relaxing space.
Overall, this place is such a great find in such an overwhelming city, can't wait to come back!
One warning: get clear instructions on how to find the place, it isn't marked.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hostel seems to be converted from a large apartment. You have to ring a buzzer to get in, as though buzzing into someone's flat. I was immediately in love with the place before we even made it in, as there is a beautiful winding staircase leading you up to the Hostel. My boyfriend and I shared a private room with the shared bathroom and found it to be really charming and decorated a lot like our apartment at home! A sort of relaxed, neat bohemian kind feel. We felt at home immediately and were given lots of information, hints and tips about the area surrounding the hostel and also about the city. The location is really great. It's very close to one of the bridges and so easy to find again and also quite near many of the places we wanted to see. It's only a block away from the subway as well. The only thing that was a little underwhelming was the breakfast. Toasted white bread or cold cornflakes? It was sufficient but nothing special. The coffees were quite delicious though! And our hosts even made fun little pictures on top of them for us. We DEFINITELY stay here again. More than I would expect to get for having payed so little.. quite like the rest of Budapest!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Good hostel in Budapest, with clean and bright rooms. I stayed there just one night but I really apreciate the amability of the owners. An english couple who made us feel like we were at home. For me, the best thing of this hostel, the attention and the enviroment that you can feel, even if being far from home, they make you feel as if it is your home.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank igoezan
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights. The hostel was nice. Quite cozy. Showers were okay, they had warm water. General cleanless was okay. There was a free internet access and wifi as well. The hostel was located in a good place and was easy to get there from trainstation. The staff was nice and beds were okay. No complains! Free breakfast (containing bread and corn flakes) was included. It wasn't so great but it was free and next to the hostel there was a market hall ;) The staff prepared free lattes in the morning as well :) I would stay in this hostel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Minskis
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This is the kind of hostel you imagine before you start travelling before you get the harsh reality. I was sick and it was raining most of the time, but I loved Budapest and I especially loved the goat. I was so worried when I showed up and walked up the omnous spiral staircase, but what I found was a well managed, clean, cosy and super spacious hostel. They could have got so many more bunks in the dorms, but have decided on space which is refreshing. If you're going to Budapest, stay at the goat, it's right near Raday street and the staff are always happy to recommend their fav (which was great, thanks Agnes) and advise on where to go/see/how to get there. Thanks team! I had a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Erin F
Reviewed January 6, 2011

After two weeks of traveling from Switzerland to Budapest, this place felt like home. It's clean, uncrowded, and has a homey, relaxed atmosphere that can't be beat. Steve is the funniest and most-helpful staff person I've ever met, and he and Gabriel always had great recommendations on places to go and things to do while we were in the City. When we arrived on New Year's Eve, Steve wasted no time in handing us a bottle of champagne for the road and a map of places to go party. We were always served breakfast and fresh coffee in the little kitchen area, and when it came time to catch our too-early flight back home he booked us a taxi that didn't rip us off.

The rooms are spacious and tidy, and there's no need to bring linens or towels. Lots of wall outlets and surge protectors in every room, and there's laundry available onsite for 4 Euro. The common room has huge comfy couches and an extensive movie collection that you can watch on a projector, and working computers with free internet access and the strongest WiFi signal I've encountered in a hostel. If you forget your toiletries, there's a grocery store around the corner and a 24 hour convenience store across the street, and ATMs, a drugstore, and a subway stop on the next block. Also within walking distance is the Liberty Bridge to the Buda side, bookstores, cafes, and a plethora of awesome eateries with reasonably priced meals and bars.

Our stay in Budapest wouldn't have been as good without this place. My only regret is that I didn't leave a note to tack to their wall of letters from past guests. We will definitely be back, however, so we'll have another chance!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends