“Great food, lovely surroundings and atmosphere”

Kheiron Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #555 of 3,092 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: The Kheiron Restaurant is located in the heart of the city, in 2 minutes walking distance from the famous St. Stephen's Basilica. Our air conditioned property provides an excellent atmospehere for every guests. Our gipsy musicians play excellent traditional music every day, which independently creates the exquisitive atmosphere. Our dear Chef provides excellence in mainly Hungarian, and partly International dishes. Our sommeliers are ready to advise you from our unique wine selection, in order to make your dining experience absolutely an unforgettable event! Join us in the Kheiron Restaurant, and experience the taste of Hungarian hospitality!
Manchester
“Great food, lovely surroundings and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We picked this restaurant simply because we were walking past and the outside looked nice, so we took a look at the menu and liked the sound of it and the prices were very reasonable. It was just down the road from our hotel on Oktober 6 utca in Lipotvaros area, not too far from Liberty Square.

When we arrived in the evening at 8pm, there were already a few people seated and there was a live gypsy violin band playing. I play the violin myself, so for me, it was a lovely treat. The music was just perfect, not too overpowering for the smallish surroundings. Throughout the evening, the violinist would play several songs with the band in the corner, and then would also wander round, playing for each table individually, if desired, and playing any requests. A lovely touch.

Food wise, me and my partner shared a Hungarian meat tapas plate, which was definitely enough for two, I think I would have been overfaced if this was for one! a nice selection of meats and pates, served with bread.

Our main courses were beautifully presented, and the food was delicious. My boyfriend had steak cooked with foie gras, asparagus and fried potato dumplings - the only one down side was that they did not ask him how he would like his steak cooked, so it was slightly overdone for his liking, but it was still tasty. I ordered some Mangalica pork which came with some sort of noodle/pasta. Seasoned to perfection, and again, very well presented.

No room left for pudding, but the pancakes looked very yummy - I saw a young girl having them at the table next to us!

The waiters were very attentive and pleasant to deal with. As our Hungarian is limited to Thank you!, they were very obliging and made us feel very welcome. We tried some of the local fruit liquor (brandy? Possibly called Palinka?) - Beware - this blows your mind - literally! Very very strong and not for the faint hearted!!

Lovely restaurants, I will definitely go back when we return to Budapest one day.

Visited February 2013
ORM2014, Manager at Kheiron Cafe Restaurant, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the nice comment. We are really happy that you enjoyed your time in our Restaurant and were very satisfied with the meal you had. Our Chef and his entire team always pay special attention on the quality and presentation of the dishes they prepare. It is our hope that you will return and have more of their delicious creations.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Authentic and Tasty Hungarian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic meal here. It was off-season so fairly quiet but soon started to fill up. I would avoid the starter of the Hungarian tapas plate if you aren't a fan of meat! For the mains, I chose the chicken with pearl onions and mushrooms which came with dumplings - delicious! My husband went for the duck - again delicious. A couple of musicians were playing in the restaurant which was a little weird at first and not really our cup of tea, but that wouldn't put me off recommending Kheiron if you are in the vicinity.

Visited February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comment. We are really happy that you enjoyed the time spent here with us. Quality is our top priority, and I am glad that we could meet your expectations. We look forward to welcome you on another occasion in our restaurant!

London
“First night dining in Budapest.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We came to Budapest in jan 2013 and on our first night the hotel recommended this restaurant. As it was out of season we were treated like a king and queen!! Service was excellent and the waiters/Owner were all very attentive. Very quiet and not busy so we were able to ask about the food and wine and had a very relaxing evening without feeling rushed to leave.At about 7.45 a live band arrived to perform and they were surprisingly very good, and even took requests but watch out they will try to sell you their cd.
The restaurant had more customers after about 8pm, we went in at 6.30 and finally left at 9.30pm!! Great night out and would go back again.

• Visited January 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed the services that we could provide for you. Your satisfaction is our greatest reward, and I can’t thank you enough for you enough for your recent visit. It is our hope, that we can host you again, when you can experience the same perfection.

Switzerland
“Excellent New Years Eve Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was hesitant to go due to some reviews here, but honestly whatever you might think of the service, the food here is excellent. We took the new years menu and it was a treat: 5 courses of Hungarian inspired dishes, refined and updated to delicous modern variation - honestly superbe. The service and music was great (the Gypsy band went around and asked everybody what they liked and played accordingly), and the price very reasonable, seen that all the drinks were included in the price of the menu. A great dinner experience the I can sincerely recommend.

• Visited December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time, and sharing your honorific review here! I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us. My team will be more than happy to know, that their work has been so much appreciated. It would be great if we could host you again in the Kheiron Étterem!

London, United Kingdom
“Tasty, good atmosphere, reasonable prices but a little pushy at times”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stumbled in here after seeing the prices on some of the neighbouring restaurants menus. Unfortunately it is down one of the tourist restaurant streets so prices are
hiked a little but the food is great.
Had the Budapest steak with ratatouille (thick chunk of juicy steak with potatoes and stuff underneath and a little oddly some cold tomatoes on the side), had the grilled cheese for starter which was tasty too.
Wine is expensive in here is the biggest downside.
They had a live band playing who were good, not too loud and didn't go on too long.
Service was fast.
At the end when we came to pay we were told the cc machine wasn't working and we had to walk to a nearby cashpoint which was a bit annoying but they did give us free schnapps to apologise.
Staff are generly friendly- coats are taken at the door and hung up which is nice but they refused to let my husband bring his camera bag in and he had to leave that by the door too which meant me having to constantly check it was ok. They were also a little pushy with us to take our order (the second we sat down and before we had opened the menu). Be careful of the upsizing too- they kept offering larger portions but didn't mention the extra cost unless we asked.
Would recommend for a nice, reasonable meal in the area, but a ten minute walk into the Jewish district and away for the touristy area will get you more quality an quantity for you cash.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your praising words! It is very good to hear that you had a great time with us! I will certainly pass your appreciation to our chef, who will be definitely delighted about it!
I look forward to another occasion, when we can provide you the same quality!