“Perfect food perfect wine”
Review of Onyx Restaurant

Onyx Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 3,154 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Please note that for Friday and Saturday evenings we require a credit card guarantee to secure your reservation. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 00 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Mosonmagyarovar, Hungary
“Perfect food perfect wine”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Let me start with something bad. Their webpage says that they have a semi-formal dress code for dinner. To be honest I was way overdressed compared to every other guest there. After this I can only write positive things.
We ordered the tasting menu recommended by the chefs. I really liked the food, but I liked the wines even more. The whole selection was a perfect match. And also found one of my favorites there: Malatinsky Chardonnay Noblese 2007.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
“Fabulous place!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This place is more than a meal, it's an experience!!!
We took the full menu with full winemenu, and it was great!!
The staff is also very nice, and have good knowledge of the food and wine they serve.

Den Bosch, The Netherlands
“Fabulous Easter lunch”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went for "Easter lunch" the Saturday before Easter and enjoyed the set menu. It was exquisitely put together and we enjoyed every course more than the one before. The service was perfect- very attentive without being intrusive, and the sommelier had perfectly matched the wines to the food.

We started out not going for the wine pairing, thinking we didn't need to drink that much at lunch (probably true), but after the first course we changed our minds! Most of the wine pairing were from boutique-style Hungarian wineries and it was a pleasure ego enjoy them with the food.

All of the courses incorporated seasonal foods (spring onion, spring carrot, white aubergine) and the lamb we enjoyed as the main course was the best I've ever had. The courses were imaginative and creative without being unapproachable, and all dishes were ones I would order again.

This restaurant, as expected, was expensive, though to us it was worth every penny.

All in all, I would highly recommend this restaurant for a top-end dining experience.

Sandnes, Norway
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The Onyx is an amazing restaurant. Ofcourse the prices compared to other restaurants in Budapest are higher. BUT if you're looking for excellent service, amazing presentation and taste and world class hungarian wines. This is your choice! We loved it!

Visited April 2014
Oslo, Norway
“Standard 1-star Michelin restaurant”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I've been to my fair share of Michelin restaurants in my time and this ranks pretty much right in the middle. It's "average". Top service, top food and top wine like you'd expect. What it doesn't have is that WOW! factor i'm always hoping for, except for their breads which were insane. It's less than a week since I went there and I can't remember a single dish, just that it was all very good.

The service was also top-notch, but again to stiff. Not light and loose, warm and friendly like Costes.

The wine though still lingers a abit on my tounge. Special praise to the wines, especially some of the reds to the tasting menu.

The prices are also reasonable for this type of restaurant. Ordered alot more than I did in Costes, and still the bill was less.

If I ever go back to Budapest I will try this restaurant again.