“Lovely restaurant with dedicated staff”
Review of Onyx Restaurant

Onyx Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 3,234 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Please note that for Friday and Saturday evenings we require a credit card guarantee to secure your reservation. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 00 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Stockholm, Sweden
“Lovely restaurant with dedicated staff”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The best food experience during our one week long stay in Budapest. The service was great and everyone working at the restaurant were dedicated and informative. We felt really welcomed, the food was delicious and we will definitely come back.

• Visited December 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
“Amazing”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

One word - amazing! The best meal I have ever eaten. We ate here for my birthday - we had the 7 course tasting menu and the food, wine, service and atmosphere was faultless. Not cheap but worth every penny. Note the restaurant closes for part of August (we had tried to book earlier in the year).

• Visited November 2013
Muscat, Oman
“Extremely disappointed by the food”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I had invited eight of my friends to dinner (during my bachelor party) to this restaurant... Mainly to thank them for travelling from all over the world to celebrate with me. I don't think this meals reflected my gratitude!

I like to think that i'm fair when reviewing restaurants....Having eaten through at least 70 michelin stars in my short but happy lifetime! For those travelling to Budapest and in search of a really good meal, please avoid at all costs.

The service was Excellent, the Idea of fusion hungarian food is good, but the execution was hopeless.... The only dish that i can vaguely remember was a beef dish (cheek, i think), and even this was just about okay.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Muscatore
Hexham
“Special dinner”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This Michelin star restaurant as you would expect offers a choice of great menus, with a choice of Set, Taster and Al la Carte menus. The restaurant was the most formal we went to in Budapest which is perhaps not to everybody's taste. If you like bread with your dinner you will be amazed to be offered over twenty different types of bread to choose from. All the dishes were of a very high standard, and dinner was finished off with a lovely choice of Petits Fours. A nice touch was as we were leaving we were presented with two complimentary boxes of chocolate and cakes. The restaurant is expensive but nice for a special occasion.

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“SHOCKINGLY DISAPPOINTING”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I never write food reviews but was so disappointed in this restaurant that it was important to share my experience with others.

My wife is Hungarian and I've been visiting Budapest for many years without having yet tried this restaurant (and walked by it many times in Vorosmarty square in the past). Last week we made a decision to go here to try the lunch tasting menu.

In short, the food was awful, borderline disgusting. I had the fois gras appetizer and the pork for my main. My wife had the root soup and the cod. These are all dishes that I would have otherwise ordered from another restaurant by the way, not unique to our palates.

The presentation of the food was good and the service was reasonable, but the food, terrible. I hope no one makes the same mistake as us, especially tourists who are directed here thinking that they are getting a tasting of the best of Hungary. I love Hungarian food, and it is an absolute robbery to go here.

I'm still baffled that this restaurant has a Michelin star - this is a disgrace. I'd like to know if this can be taken away or if someone from the Michelin evaluation committee can pay the restaurant another visit.

Not much more I can say. Bad tasting food is huge vice for me, and I'm sorry to have to had this experience at Onyx

• Visited December 2013