“Wow, amazing food and service.”
Review of Onyx Restaurant

Onyx Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Please note that for Friday and Saturday evenings we require a credit card guarantee to secure your reservation. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 00 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My partner and I have dined in good few Michelin star places and I can tell you this place deserves more than just one star! From start to finish, we couldn't fault the service. I have to highlight one particular thing that most restaurants have difficulty to handle, but not this one. I mentioned when booking about my gluten intolerance. Boy, were they prepared! I had a selection of home-made gluten free breads prepared. I have barely seen this anywhere before! I was very impressed.
We let the sommelier suggest the wines, he was absolutely spot on. Two Hungarian bottles, a white (from Demeter Zoltan) and a red (Grof Buttler Kadarka). Both amazing. My boyfriend is a french sommelier and I was a little bit sceptical that we will find a red wine to impress him, I was so wrong. He loved it!
We had the Chef's tasting menu. All courses are quite light so you don't feel too full afterwards. It is really hard just to pick out one or two courses however my favourite was probably the carrot, it's fun and creative, and the pan fried duck foie gras. The desserts are to die for! And the petit fours trolley... you just really want to try everything :)
On departure you get a little box of a macaroon and a little chocolate. Quite thoughtful, nice to wake up the next morning and have it with your coffee, remember the good time you had the night before! :)

2  Thank Kahuna_surf
There are newer reviews for Onyx Restaurant

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I've tried most of the restaurants in Stockholm with Michelain stars, and seeing as a had eaten at Franzen (2 star restaurant) the week before, I thought that Onyx would have a hard time impressing me.

Boy was I wrong. Not only did they deliver, they knocked my socks off!

Me and my girldfriend took the Hungarian tasting menu, and from the moment we went into the restaurant to the moment we left, we felt like king and queen. The service was amazing.

But what impressed the most, was the food. I will make it easy for you all. If you don't visit Onyx when you're in Budapest, you are a bloody fool! :)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had our heart set on the tasting menu, there were 4 of us, however were told that if everyone did not order the same tasting menu, then no one could have it. Found that a bit odd as only 2 of us wanted to try it but couldn't? So had to order a la carte. Food was good anyways, however would have been nice to try out the tasting menu. Had some great Czech wine! Power went out for a considerable time while we were there, so we drank our wine by candlelight. Would have been nice if the owner offered a drink or dessert on the house in consideration of the power outage? But it was not to be. Food and wine was great! Servers were hard to understand.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a once in a life time food experience! Be hungry, and go for the 8 course menu! It is absolutely worth it! Great service, they don´t rush and you really have time to enjoy your meal. Be sure to book a table in advance. Enjoy!

1  Thank MissyNorway
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked a table 7 Sep 2013. Excellent service, incredible food and just an amazing experience.. We did not manage to eat all of the 10 dishes (2 were complimantery of the chef) however it was a gastronomical night to remember.