“Impeccable dining”

Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Please note that for Friday and Saturday evenings we require a credit card guarantee to secure your reservation. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 00 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
London, United Kingdom
“Impeccable dining”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The dining experience at Onyx in Budapest was very good; from the originality of food ingredients and presentation, to the quality and flavour combination of ingredients.

The satisfaction of the courses from the tasting menu in combination with the fine Hungarian wine matching has been one of the best dining experiences I have had.

Also the quality and variety of the bread served with the meal has been unbeaten by any other restaurants and artisanal or gourmet bakeries I have ever visited.

A very well deserved Michelin star indeed.

• Visited February 2012

• Turkish first
Savannah, Georgia
“Spectacular”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is one of two Michelin star restaurants in Budapest. It is in the city center. To experience a Michelin restaurant at this low price (I spent approx 55 euros for three courses wine and a drink including service) makes it a definite must if your into spectacular. This is not a fast food experience. You will spend a minimum of two or three hours enjoying the ambiance and the food. Business casual should be your minimum dress code. It may appear pretentious but that to me was part of the experience. Fine dining like the 50's. In Paris I have paid more than this for a simple lunch. The other Michelin restaurant Costes is also spectacular and gives you a much different take on fine dining - dark wood and simple floral arrangements. Onyx is stunning floral arrangements and much brighter. Try it and like Mikey you will like it.

• Visited May 2012
“WOW! ”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I have never been to a michelin star restaurant before so i didn't really know what to expect. But WOW, it was beyond anything i could imagine. It was quite pricey, but well worth it. The food was superb, unlike anything I've tasted. The waiters were really good, they even shaved our table with a knife/scoop to get rid of crumbs. Never seen anything like it! If you want a evening where you are treated like royalty this is the place to go.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best Fine Dining in Budapest”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I made lunch reservations here approximately 1 month before visiting. This wasn't really necessary but we were (beyond) excited to try this place out. Due to being, somewhat, concerned about our budget, we opted for the lunch menu. I can honestly say that this is the best bargain going. We both chose the 3-course menu for appox. $22, however, my husband did opt to order up on each course (usually 1 or 2 out of the three choices are maked up about a $1-$2 more since the ingredient is a little more expensive). I know my husband enjoyed every bite of his and felt the extra money was well worth it. I, on the other hand, stayed with what was included in the $22 price. I did not feel as though I lost out on anything. I still crave the beet soup I had as a starter which I did not think I would enjoy all that much. What a surprise.

Dessert was beyond our wildest imagination. My husbands choice consisted of chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate all drizzled with more chocolate goodness on top. It came out of the kitchen looking like an artist's dream. I can honestly say it was the most beautiful chocolate dessert I had, and have, ever seen. My choice was Mango three ways. It was divine. I know I stated earlier that I still crave the beet soup but this mango dessert is something I still dream of today. I was completely full from the previous two courses but I downed every last drop of each of three variations. I don't have adequate words to tell you how much I enjoyed it. It is hands down the best dessert I have ever had.

Service was great and professional. In the beginning, our server was a little stiff but I believe it was due to the language barrier more than anything. He was always friendly but reserved. However, when he brought our coffees, I found a way to loosen him up. He asked me if I wanted one or two cubes of sugar. When I told him I wanted four in a hesitant manner (I like my coffee sweeeeet), he got a big grin on his face and we both started laughing. After that point, he lightened up and seemed to be enjoying himself. I made sure to thank him in his native tongue and, I believe, he appreciated the effort.

All in all, I think out meal came out to under $100. My husband had all the up-marked items, mine was $22, we purchased 2 big bottles of water and 2 coffees. In my opinion, for a Michelan starred restuarant, we got a great deal. I've spent more and received less here in the States so I was pleased. I advise everyone to give this place a try, especially at lunch when it seemed quieter and you can dine a little cheaper.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Peper81
“A higher dimension of dining, our top experience so far”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We are lovers of excellent food and restaurants, following the news on Hungarian dining culture. We chose Onyx because we wanted to try a Michelin starred restaurant, and traveled to Budapest just to go there. We made a reservation, selected a Hungarian Evolution Menu with a matching wine package, having a 3-hour culinary orgasm in an exquisite environment, all dressed up, celebrating a birthday. The waiters were knowledgeable, very attentive, and very polite. Going there for such a night is like one at the opera.

• Visited July 2012