“WOW! ”

Onyx Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 3,108 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Central European, Hungarian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Please note that for Friday and Saturday evenings we require a credit card guarantee to secure your reservation. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 00 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
“WOW! ”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I have never been to a michelin star restaurant before so i didn't really know what to expect. But WOW, it was beyond anything i could imagine. It was quite pricey, but well worth it. The food was superb, unlike anything I've tasted. The waiters were really good, they even shaved our table with a knife/scoop to get rid of crumbs. Never seen anything like it! If you want a evening where you are treated like royalty this is the place to go.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best Fine Dining in Budapest”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I made lunch reservations here approximately 1 month before visiting. This wasn't really necessary but we were (beyond) excited to try this place out. Due to being, somewhat, concerned about our budget, we opted for the lunch menu. I can honestly say that this is the best bargain going. We both chose the 3-course menu for appox. $22, however, my husband did opt to order up on each course (usually 1 or 2 out of the three choices are maked up about a $1-$2 more since the ingredient is a little more expensive). I know my husband enjoyed every bite of his and felt the extra money was well worth it. I, on the other hand, stayed with what was included in the $22 price. I did not feel as though I lost out on anything. I still crave the beet soup I had as a starter which I did not think I would enjoy all that much. What a surprise.

Dessert was beyond our wildest imagination. My husbands choice consisted of chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate all drizzled with more chocolate goodness on top. It came out of the kitchen looking like an artist's dream. I can honestly say it was the most beautiful chocolate dessert I had, and have, ever seen. My choice was Mango three ways. It was divine. I know I stated earlier that I still crave the beet soup but this mango dessert is something I still dream of today. I was completely full from the previous two courses but I downed every last drop of each of three variations. I don't have adequate words to tell you how much I enjoyed it. It is hands down the best dessert I have ever had.

Service was great and professional. In the beginning, our server was a little stiff but I believe it was due to the language barrier more than anything. He was always friendly but reserved. However, when he brought our coffees, I found a way to loosen him up. He asked me if I wanted one or two cubes of sugar. When I told him I wanted four in a hesitant manner (I like my coffee sweeeeet), he got a big grin on his face and we both started laughing. After that point, he lightened up and seemed to be enjoying himself. I made sure to thank him in his native tongue and, I believe, he appreciated the effort.

All in all, I think out meal came out to under $100. My husband had all the up-marked items, mine was $22, we purchased 2 big bottles of water and 2 coffees. In my opinion, for a Michelan starred restuarant, we got a great deal. I've spent more and received less here in the States so I was pleased. I advise everyone to give this place a try, especially at lunch when it seemed quieter and you can dine a little cheaper.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Peper81
“A higher dimension of dining, our top experience so far”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We are lovers of excellent food and restaurants, following the news on Hungarian dining culture. We chose Onyx because we wanted to try a Michelin starred restaurant, and traveled to Budapest just to go there. We made a reservation, selected a Hungarian Evolution Menu with a matching wine package, having a 3-hour culinary orgasm in an exquisite environment, all dressed up, celebrating a birthday. The waiters were knowledgeable, very attentive, and very polite. Going there for such a night is like one at the opera.

• Visited July 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
“SunnyGlen”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We chose this restaurant for its looks, as we walked by one day. We arrived a bit early, but they handled us without issue. The service was superb, and the wine steward (we stuck with Hungarian wines) was most helpful. The food was very good, with portions appropriate to a reasonable person's appetite without wastage. A bit pricy, but well worth the cost for a most enjoyable evening.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Robert W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great lunch value for a superb dining experience”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I read some other reviews about lunch menu and decided to give it a try. We made a reservation online, which was easy and quick. All staffs were very attentive and polite (probably too polite that we kinda hoped they relaxed a bit more). I ordered a $22 3-course menu while my husband got himself a $20 2-course meal. We both loved everything we ate and it was the absolute best meal we had in Budapest. Would totally go back.

• Visited November 2012