“Very good evening”

Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Please note that for Friday and Saturday evenings we require a credit card guarantee to secure your reservation. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 00 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is our second time visiting Budapest. We knew there were two Michelin one star restaurant in Budapest and Onyx is one of them. We made a reservation before we arrived in Budapest and got confirmation by e-mail. The restaurant also called me a few hours before dinner to confirm. Overall, our experience there was quite positive. We had the tasting menu and each dish was well prepared, although the foie gras was a bit too much. My girlfriend got quite full after that dish.
We went on a Saturday so it was quite occupied. The service was very good. But we could feel the difference comparing to Costes.

1  Thank USCHRU
There are newer reviews for Onyx Restaurant

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had dinner at Onyx after reading very favourable reviews. The restaurant is beautifully designed and the service very knowledgeable and formal. The ambience was formal and I sensed a 'hushed atmosphere'. This is a very serious eating experience - breads excellent (have not seen such a bread trolley before!); Hungarian sparkling wine and white wine excellent and chosen with the help of the sommelier; menu interesting; petit fours excellent (again on a trolley) and everything was prepared and presented brilliantly. Clearly a huge amount of effort goes into every dish and every aspect of the experience. However, the dishes we chose just lacked the extra special flavour that I expected. It was almost perfection but in our opinion the most important aspect of any eating experience - flavour - was lacking. I am writing especially of the red mullet 'fish soup' dish - the fish soup part being slightly bland and my starter of the bean soup - gain lacked punch. I hate to criticise such passion and hardwork and maybe the dishes were too just too delicate for my taste?

2  Thank WiltshireAnon
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I won't go into too much detail but I will say that if you are able to attend the lunch deal (under $20) then you may just find it the best michelin dining experience of your life.
They do however have surcharges on a few dishes (the ones you came to try) which are about the same price as the whole deal, mainly there well renowned dishes such as the Fois Gras starter and the rabbit main. If you are also a fan of wine pairing then expect your bill to easily triple. Still worth every penny.

Location excellent
Decor excellent
Staff excellent
Wine by the glass list is superb and very well priced, the Sommelier is also on hand and very helpful.
They even went as far to give me a doggy bag (box) of the bread I pointed out my wife would love to take home to her.

Food is superb and I would be surprised if they didn't acquire a second star next year. It challenges your taste buds and at times seems a little off but then you laugh at doubting the chef as he pulls you back in with what always turned out to be a very clever and well rounded dish.

3  Thank aaron c
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I ate here with my Wife, whilst on a surprise birthday trip for her in March.

The food was exquisite. The service excellent. The waiters wore white gloves and explained each dish very clearly. They showed great passion for the food they were serving. The breads were excellent and were not charged as an extra.

Definitively recommend eating here!

1  Thank garyhounsome
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Went to try the much hyped Onyx.
The place is located right in the centre of Budapest and thus within walking distance of most hotels (ours included).
Reservations are definitely warranted. Despite the prices and the economic slump there is still an audience for this kind of place.
The decor is very eastern european noveau-riche-chic -in my opinion rather awful actually with too much of everything: Modern mirrors and crystal chandeliers against thick patterened velvet wallpaper. Lots of gold and other rather superfluous details have been added. But the essentials are in place: Nice large tables with crisp linen and crystal glasses and great silverware - and most important of all a great staff which provides service that you really feel is genuine. The are relaxed and make small jokes with the customers making them feel at ease, and at the same time providing to the point succinct service, with unfaltering precision.

We tried the hungarian evolution menu, which was truely lovely.
The wine menu was mostly whites, so we went with a nice bottle of pinot noit in stead after having had champagne by the glass to start with.
The kitchen is really innovative and provides a modern context to traditional hungarian flavours. Only miss was the fish which tasted a bit too 'fishy' according to my tastes.
The desserts are a must. Onyx has taken over the grand old dame of Budapest's cake scene: The Gerbeaud. This was previously a somewhat run-down and a little industrial place when it came to the contents of their cake making. But this has all changed now. Brilliant and delicious cakes and desserts are now being made there and they really know their craft. SO the modernized version of the Somlo cake was a real delicacy.
All in all an expensive evening, but well worth the money.