“Brilliant Base in Budapest”

Promenade City Hotel
Ranked #77 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Base in Budapest”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

According to the publicity this hotel is a three star superior and none of the best in Budapest.

Easy to see why. Clean rooms and bedding. Good buffet breakfast, although the breakfast room got a little crowded at times, especially 8.30 to 9.30. Lift to all 6 floors. Friendly English speaking reception. Mini bar. LCD TV and air con. Free wi-fi

I had a single room, which was really for a disabled person so had lots of room and the bathroom was a wet room, which meant I didn't need a shower curtain !! I stayed for 4 nights and could easily have stayed longer as the hotel ticked all the boxes for me, bering close to bars, restaurants (within 10 metres) and good quality shopping (for the ladies!)

Highly recommended for value cleaniness and location.

Room Tip: Avoid being too close to the lift as it was constantly in use. OK if you go into a deep sleep.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ray2311

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Custer, South Dakota
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed at the Promenade Hotel for two night before we boarded our river cruise ship at the Marriot. The hotel is very clean, air conditioned, has wifi, nice shower and decent tv coverage--a few English channels including CNN. The pillows are way too big. Took the decorative pillow and put that in the pillowcase. Nice bathroom but no shower curtain. We took a shower sitting down and using the hand shower head which worked fine, rather than chancing getting the floor all wet. Step outside the door and there are many shops and eateries. The pizza shop right next store has something for everyone. A block away is a McDonald's for a cup of coffee or tea. Can't say enough about the location. We changed rooms because it was next to the elevator and wanted to take naps in the afternoon, so they very nicely found us a nice room. A breakfast is served from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. It's a typical Hungarian breakfast but they have cereal, yogurt, fruit, and tea. The concierges at the front desk speak fluent English.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator shaft.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I was recommended this hotel by a friend from Hungary. I am glad I booked this hotel.
Promenade City offers a great location in the middle of Vaci city. It takes some minutes to the metro, you can walk the whole vaci street and you will find everything you want: pubs, restaurants, boutiques, cofees, souvenirs, etc.

Since I traveled alone, I decided to take the shuttle service taxi from the airport to the hotel. This service has nice prices and different hours of departures. It is very important to know that the shuttle driver won´t be able to stop exact in front of the hotel since the vaci street is just for pedestrians. You will have to walk some blocks to the hotel, and that is the same on your way back to the airport!!

The personal is nice and friendly, receptionists talk english without a problem, they will help you book tours or tickets to the shuttle taxi, or tickets to the hungarian baths.

My room was little and cosy. My services: Tv, telephone, dush cabine, security box, single bed, minibar. You can buy water, wine, champagne, snacks and candies (nice prices), wireless internet. My view was not that exotic tough, my window faced towards the inside of the building, but honestly, I was out the big part of the day, so that was not a big issue for me.

Breakfast is served floor 6th, I guess the best time to be there is between 8-9 am. I had never problem with finding a place to sit. They have all from coffee, té, cereal, eggs, sallads, bread, ham, sausages, juice, water, yoghurt, everything you need!

I really enjoyed to stay at this hotel and would really recommend you to stay here if you want a nice location!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Aragonsson
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I found this hotel shortly before coming to Budapest for a long weekend. We booked a twin room for thursday and Friday knowing that we might extend the stay but unfortunately by the time we got here the hotel was fully booked for Saturday night. We would definitely have stayed here longer if we could have done so.

The twin room was pretty small and the 2 beds (singles) were both fixed together in the middle of the room so it didn't really feel like a twin. There was also no shower curtain in the bathroom. These were only minor issues though. The room was clean and comfortable most importantly. There is an atrium in the middle of the hotel that a lot of rooms overlook. Be warned though, we were on the first floor and the hotel employees woke me up several times during the night talking on the ground floor and banging boxes and crates around. The noise echoes up the atrium so make sure the window is closed and the AC is on.

The only other minor grumble I had was with the moody woman that worked in the breakfast room on the 6th floor. We got there 10 minutes after the breakfast service was over and asked if we could have a coffee. The look of disgust on her face was quite funny to be honest but you could tell she wasn't happy about us being there. It's a shame because everyone else that works here can at least manage a smile when you talk to them.

Overall I think the hotel is great value considering the location. It's in district 5 where there are a lot of bars and shops etc and it's very close to the river. I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank TimTam79
Weymouth
Reviewed March 24, 2012

The position of this hotel could not really be much better. It is right in the heart of the main town of Pest.
Situated in the pedestrian area.
Therefore it is perfect for exploring the town on foot. Although it is only a 3 star, the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and all spoke perfect English.
The breakfast room is on the 6th floor and is small and quaint, however the food selection is fine.
There are lots of Bars and restaurants within 2 mins walk of the hotel.
My bedroom was quite big with a nice desk area and very fast free internet access.
I was there with a colleague and we paid about €50 each per night. We each had a large double room.
For a city centre hotel that is really good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor. The views are better and there is no street noise
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Gerard O
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We were in Budapest for 4 days and 3 nights for a Stag Party (Bachelor Party). We didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the hotel. Therefore we booked the promenade. Decent size of a room for the money you pay, and a really nice bathroom, and yes no shower curtain. But the main issue we had was that our bedroom air conditioner was not a good one, the room was quite warm, and we didn't complain, because the amount of time we spent in the room was quite minimal (if you know what I mean).

The breakfast is adequate, eggs, sausages, bread, corn flakes, 3 different types of juices, NO TOASTER.

Stay there if you want to spend minimal money for adequate clean accommodation and the location is very central. Its on Vaci Street, which is kind of London's Carnaby Street. No vehicles on it, only foot traffic.

Room Tip: Request that your room is not near the lift, nor that your window faces the lift, because the annoyi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellbuzz_11
Rugby
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We have just come back from a lovely break away in this beautiful city. The location of this hotel is second to none. It is surrounded by restaurants and shops. Some of which are traditional hungarian and some are international....like Zara, H&M and Hard Rock Cafe etc. So something for everyone. I liked the way that there was no hard sell when you went for a walk. The area feels very safe (we were 2 women on our own) and even when we came home at 2am, we didn't feel at risk.

The hotel is easy to find on Vaci Utca which is the trafiic free shopping area, even though it is a small doorway. The buildings are all numbered, so finding number 22 was easy.

Within in a gentle 5 minute walk you can get to Dunube...which is amazing at night. It is the same distance to the number 1 metro line and the tram on the watre front. At the other end on the road (about 15 minute walk) is the grand market, which is good for cheap lunch time food with the locals. The gifts are cheaper here too. The location is a safe, clean, attactive area to base your sightseeing stay in Budapest.

Check in was quick and easy and the staff spoke good English.

The room was modern and clean. There was only a view into an internal covered area, but we spent the day light hours out and about, so this didn't bother us. The room was made up and clean towels and toiletries (soap and shower gel) supplied when we put the sign on our door. There was a flat screen TV and we managed to find a music channel with 80% English music, which was fine to get ready to. There is a free safe. The bath had a shower over it, but no screen/curtain, so the floor got a bit wet, but not realy an issue. There were no tea or coffee making facilities, but neither of us drank hot drinks :-). My only "complaint" is that the huge pillows, which looked cosy, were rock hard and not very good to sleep on.

Breakfast is on the 6th floor from 7-10am. It seemed to be busiest from 9-10am and there maybe a slight wait to get a table if you don't want to share, but tables were cleared quickly. The food was buffet style and typical of anywhere in Europe...bread, cakes, cheeses, cold meats, cereals and eggs and sausages...so quite a choice. Hot and cold drinks were also availlable.

We paid 132 euros (including all the taxes) for 3 nights in a twin room from Thur-Sun at the start of March. I think this is a very good price and was booked directly with the hotel, as it was the same price as the comparision sites.

The staff were very helpful and gave us a 2am wake up call, as requested and arranged a good priced taxi for us at 3am to get back to the airport (5800HUF)...which was about £17 between us and the taxi driver (who walked to our hotel to collect us) said it was about a 27km journey. So a bargain in my eyes!

I hope to be able to return to Budapest one day, and this is where I will be staying!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends