Promenade City Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
La Prima Fashion Hotel(Budapest)
  • Breakfast included
Apartment Vaci(Budapest)
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
All reviewsbreakfast roomexcellent locationlift shaftlack of shower curtainmini barstreet viewvaci streetrecommend this hotelpedestrian areavery clean hotelair conlovely bathroommain shoppingwithin walking distancehop on hop off busairport shuttletop floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We have just returned from a fantastic trip to Budapest and had booked this hotel through Malev's package offers on a very great deal. The hotel is not accessible by a vehicle as it’s on the pedestrian street of Vaci Utca and you would probably need to walk for about 5-7 mins to get there from another nearby street. But what I didn't at all like was its entrance - was not indicating at all a proper hotel entrance. You walk through a path way to reach Reception, which is actually a desk next to some stairs.

Upon check in we were offered a room at the 6th floor and was advised from the Reception guy that we would have to use the staff's elevator till the 5th floor and then walk the stairs to the 6th floor as their main elevator was out of order. As he could make out from our reaction we weren't quite happy about this, he then said he could offer us another room on the 5th or the 4th floor - why did he have to initially offer a room on a floor we would have to walk to if there were other rooms available - I would have understood this if the hotel was full on the other floors.

Finally, we got room # 503 with a view to Vaci Utca, which was one of the largest rooms on the floor as per the floor map behind our door. The room was spacious and clean with a minimal decoration, but we noticed a serious sewage smell coming from the bathroom. As the bathroom had no window, we opened all windows of the room and tried to make the smell go away. We also closed the toilet room and was a bit better - we reported the same to the Reception guy and said would get the smell fixed.

Next morning our water stopper (lid) of our sink was pushed down - something that had made the sewage smell gone - but we were left with no sink as you couldn't push the lid up - so we were actually left with no sink and had to wash our hands and brush our teeth in the bathtub. We again reported the same to the Reception guy and said would get this fixed next morning when the maintenance people would return back to the hotel. They did pushed it up again and the problem with the smell returned - the problem then was we couldn't push it back down to stop the smell - that was our story with our smelly toilet which nobody tried to fix after all.

I personally found the beds hard (for my liking) and the towels small. The cleaning ladies did a very good job and kept our room made up every day. The breakfast room was a disaster - too small & hot and too crowded at rush hours (9-10am). Too many cold cuts and less fresh products. In general the staff were not that efficient in English but always very polite to reply to any questions. During our 4 day stay there the main elevator of the hotel was never fixed and the telephones were not working in our floor.

Location wise it was perfect – exactly on Vaci Utca and within walking distance to everything – he only used the metro once. Plenty of food choices around, safe area and close by to most of the attractions. The WiFi did not disappointed as - was not that fast but did work whenever we used it. If you are looking for a prestigious property this hotel is not for you – if you are up for a clean and basic option without services you can opt for it. If I had to go back to Budapest I would most likely opt for this hotel again mainly cause of its location.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
TorokAgoston, Reservation Manager at Promenade City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Dear Mr/Mrs. DimsPappy!

Thank you very much for your review, it’s really important to us!

I’m happy to read that you had a great stay in Budapest even though you had bad experiences at our hotel, but I hope we can welcome you again as a guest!

Let me answer on some of your suggestions!

As you have mentioned, our hotel is on a pedestrian street, and of course, it’s not accessible by cars, it’s true. In my opinion, staying at a hotel in the city centre is always a risk because of the smog, and I think our hotel gives a really good alternative with it’s location. Regarding to your remark about our entrance, unfortunately it comes from our hotel’s facility, we are trying to make it more visible, with more or less success.

I spoke with our receptionist, and checked our system showed that first you would had a room on the 6th floor also on the street side. Let me tell you that we only have 12 rooms with this specification (street view) and only two rooms were free at your check in – #603 and #503. When you were offered #603, it was only a kindliness from our receptionist’s side and I absolutely understand that you didn’t accept this option. The elevator now is fixed.

Regarding to your complaint about our breakfast room, we know that it’s smaller than our capacity, but I can only repeat myself that it comes from the hotel building characteristic. It’s true that it’s crowded between 9 and 10, but usually our waitresses handle this situation well, and trying to reduce inconveniences. About our food’s quality, we are always trying to serve most of our guest’s taste, and broaden our offer with salads, small meatballs, french toast, etc. I’m really sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our breakfast, we had minimal negative reviews since we opened our hotel, I’m ensure it was a single case.

Nevertheless, your review was really-really useful for us, and you highlighted our weaknesses we have to correct. Please be sure that during your next visit (if you will), these deficiencies will be solved.

Best regards from Budapest,

Geza Molnar
Promenade City Hotel

Reviewed March 8, 2011

The Promenade City Hotel is centrally located in Budapest. Initially we thought noise from the street may be a problem but not so. The welcome and check in was friendly and the room modern and tasteful. The location is close to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neville B
Reviewed March 7, 2011

It is a very good hotel. It is in the center of the city. The breakfast is well. I will surely visit it again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

This hotel was a real treat. Situated in the very center of the city, it's really close to all major attractions and shops. The hotel staff were great, helping us with directions and even translating some info into English for us. They offer complimentary wi-fi and breakfast, which is really good with a lot of food to choose from.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank kathiejmie
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I have absolutely no hesitation in giving this hotel top marks. Everything across the board was just excellent.
With regards to the location I actually thought it was pretty perfect, just a short walk from everything!
Just think it's located at the beginning of Vaci Utca, the most important pedestrian street of the city!

We had a triple room and it was very confortable. Also the bathroom was well-appointed.

Staff was extremely helpfull in giving us informations about the city attractions and at night for the restaurants!

Just 2 little flaws: its unprepossessing entrance and breakfast room... :-/

Would definitely return and recommend for value and money!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends