“Excellent, small, quiet hotel”

Lion's Garden Hotel
Ranked #78 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Perfect for business stay. Good wi-fi, although had to pay extra for decent speed in room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food good quality and reasonable prices and they were willing to bring meals to room if ordered in restaurant. Spa looked tempting but no time to try it out. A non-smoking hotel, but some rooms have balconies on which smoking is permitted.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor have balconies
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AlyGNorthWales

Reviewed October 15, 2012

A very good, but quiet location, within 15 minutes walk to the Heroes square and metro, but buses only 2 minutes away. Newish hotel to high standard with very good food. Could do with ironing boards and better internet. Very good price.

Room Tip: All rooms good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I spent the weekend in Budapest, which may i say is an amazingggggggg place, and i stayed at this hotel. I really like the hotel, was worth my money, I like modern looking places and this was it. The only thing that annoyed me was yo have to pay for the pool area which was only like 1400huf a day but really you shouldnt need to, and then i asked for a triple room an i was lead to believe it was 2 singles and a double, but it was just two singles pushed togethr and a sofa bed. other than this i really did enjoy my stay here. The staff were very helpful and showed us how to get around.

Room Tip: Its a in a quite area and all the rooms are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natalie A
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel in the heart of Budapest. Train and Metro stations are in walking distance. City Park is a five minute walk along a tree lined avenue. The area is safe for day and night time walking. We dined in the hotel for a few nights and had breakfast each morning. Please arrive early for breakfast as foodstuffs are not replenished - when they are gone they are gone. The staff on the reception were very helpful as was the lady who cleaned our room each day. Staff in the restaurant were not as friendly. Perhaps it was on account of not speaking English or us not being able to speak Hungarian, however we did find it off-putting and on the verge of rude. We were told we had wifi in our room but could not access it and the spa was an extra €5 each a day.
All this being said, do not let this put you off staying here as all the other exceptional qualities of this hotel out weigh the negative. Would we go back to it.... Yes we would.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed there for just 1 night and were discouraged as soon as we got there. i attempted to connect my iPad to the "free" WiFI and it didn't work. I went down stairs and was told quite abruptly that there was nothing that they could do. I was angry about this because at just about every hotel I have stayed at, if the WiFI doesn't work, they will restart the modem for you. The staff at the lions didn't. They also told us that it must be our device that had the problem... "Um, excuse me but... Everywhere else I go the wifi seems to work" I had to use it because I had to book another hotel in Austria for the next leg of my trip, but they wouldn't listen. I later heard another couple complaining at reception about the same problem and they got exactly same response.
My room was in a disgusting condition. The toilet seat was broken when I got there and the shower gel bottles were empty. The bathroom had the most awkward set up and it had pee on the seat and smelt strongly of pee, which wafted into our room. all in all the room was absolutely FILTHY. In the morning I went down for breakfast and I went for the toast. But, of course, the toaster wasn't working. When this was discussed with staff it was just brushed off with a shrug of their shoulders. The staff all in all were the worst, they didn't smile and they couldn't be bothered with your opinion, or even bothered with your needs. This place is not a hotel. Well, not a 4 star hotel at the least. It is more like a 1 star hotel. And to be frank, DO NOT STAY HERE. It is also in a rather run down part of the city... Which is worse than you think.

Room Tip: Don't even bother booking it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Asha W
Arudinszky, Front Office Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear valued Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you that you have honored our hotel with your registration in Tripadvisor.com and shared your experineces. We are very sorry to learn from your comments that not every department were up to your expectations, your experience is most certainly not representative of the usually standards of Lion's Garden Hotel. In case we get to know your problem with the room we could have been able to solve it immediately. We really don't know why your Ipad was not able to connect to the free WI FI network although many other guests used the same system without any disruption. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused.
We are very sorry about your bed experinces.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our hotel and we can prove you the quality of Lion's Garden Hotel.

Front Office Manager - Lion's Garden Hotel Budapest

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here recently on a three centre holiday and this hotel was very disappointing from the moment we walked in the front door. No tea/coffee making facilities, no iron/ironing board and when I asked at reception I was told only staff can iron at a five euro charge! To use the pool there's a 5 euro charge per person per session (pool is tiny). Wifi available in rooms but only for one gadget and you've guessed it - there's a charge of 10 euro per day for more than one laptop. The bedrooms have laminate floors - very cold under foot and noisy. We had no hot water when we checked in - reported to reception and had tepid water after 2 hours. There was always a shortage of hot water particularly in the evenings, never enough to have a bath.Most of the dining room chairs are in dire need to be thrown into a skip - the joints are loose, twice the skin on my arm was pinched and caught in the arm of chairs, when I reported this the staff just shrugged their shoulders. Breakfasts were appalling -day 1 there was fresh fruit salad but thereafter none - when we asked we were told to make our own!! Hot buffet was "different" - boiled beef with vegetables and hot potatoes and another morning some other strange hot meat and potatoes. There were cereals, cold meats breads etc. The location is outside the city centre and in a quiet area, the bus service is excellent and bus stop is on the corner. Hero's Sq is within walking distance and Szechenyi Mineral Baths are also within walking distance (worth a visit). There's a church across the road and the bells chime every hour on the hour but thankfully only during the day. I wonder how this hotel was awarded 4*s, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Quiet location near Varosliget city park and Szechenyi-bath.Well equipped modern rooms with excellent beds ( a bit small).Varied breakfast.(tip:take coffee from the little automat).Busstop at the corner of the street.Only one 'minus': room cleaning can be better.No bedsheets change by 7 nights stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple