All reviewscity centrenice hotelspa area isswimming poolheroes squarebus stopkeleti stationbusiness triphot and cold foodquiet areanice roomcomfortable roomsnice breakfasthotel is situatedpublic transporthotel stafffour nights
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed there for just 1 night and were discouraged as soon as we got there. i attempted to connect my iPad to the "free" WiFI and it didn't work. I went down stairs and was told quite abruptly that there was nothing that they could do. I was angry about this because at just about every hotel I have stayed at, if the WiFI doesn't work, they will restart the modem for you. The staff at the lions didn't. They also told us that it must be our device that had the problem... "Um, excuse me but... Everywhere else I go the wifi seems to work" I had to use it because I had to book another hotel in Austria for the next leg of my trip, but they wouldn't listen. I later heard another couple complaining at reception about the same problem and they got exactly same response.
My room was in a disgusting condition. The toilet seat was broken when I got there and the shower gel bottles were empty. The bathroom had the most awkward set up and it had pee on the seat and smelt strongly of pee, which wafted into our room. all in all the room was absolutely FILTHY. In the morning I went down for breakfast and I went for the toast. But, of course, the toaster wasn't working. When this was discussed with staff it was just brushed off with a shrug of their shoulders. The staff all in all were the worst, they didn't smile and they couldn't be bothered with your opinion, or even bothered with your needs. This place is not a hotel. Well, not a 4 star hotel at the least. It is more like a 1 star hotel. And to be frank, DO NOT STAY HERE. It is also in a rather run down part of the city... Which is worse than you think.

Room Tip: Don't even bother booking it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Asha W
Arudinszky, Front Office Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear valued Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you that you have honored our hotel with your registration in Tripadvisor.com and shared your experineces. We are very sorry to learn from your comments that not every department were up to your expectations, your experience is most certainly not representative of the usually standards of Lion's Garden Hotel. In case we get to know your problem with the room we could have been able to solve it immediately. We really don't know why your Ipad was not able to connect to the free WI FI network although many other guests used the same system without any disruption. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused.
We are very sorry about your bed experinces.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our hotel and we can prove you the quality of Lion's Garden Hotel.

Front Office Manager - Lion's Garden Hotel Budapest

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here recently on a three centre holiday and this hotel was very disappointing from the moment we walked in the front door. No tea/coffee making facilities, no iron/ironing board and when I asked at reception I was told only staff can iron at a five euro charge! To use the pool there's a 5 euro charge per person per session (pool is tiny). Wifi available in rooms but only for one gadget and you've guessed it - there's a charge of 10 euro per day for more than one laptop. The bedrooms have laminate floors - very cold under foot and noisy. We had no hot water when we checked in - reported to reception and had tepid water after 2 hours. There was always a shortage of hot water particularly in the evenings, never enough to have a bath.Most of the dining room chairs are in dire need to be thrown into a skip - the joints are loose, twice the skin on my arm was pinched and caught in the arm of chairs, when I reported this the staff just shrugged their shoulders. Breakfasts were appalling -day 1 there was fresh fruit salad but thereafter none - when we asked we were told to make our own!! Hot buffet was "different" - boiled beef with vegetables and hot potatoes and another morning some other strange hot meat and potatoes. There were cereals, cold meats breads etc. The location is outside the city centre and in a quiet area, the bus service is excellent and bus stop is on the corner. Hero's Sq is within walking distance and Szechenyi Mineral Baths are also within walking distance (worth a visit). There's a church across the road and the bells chime every hour on the hour but thankfully only during the day. I wonder how this hotel was awarded 4*s, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Quiet location near Varosliget city park and Szechenyi-bath.Well equipped modern rooms with excellent beds ( a bit small).Varied breakfast.(tip:take coffee from the little automat).Busstop at the corner of the street.Only one 'minus': room cleaning can be better.No bedsheets change by 7 nights stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Myself and my cousin stayed in the Lions Garden for 12 days. Its a bit out of the city center but its easily accessible by the bus which runs 24-7. The benefit of being outside the main commercial district is that there are much better prices in the local bars, cafes and restaurants so the Lions Garden was a perfect classy hotel to stay in for that area. Its a stones throw from a really nice cafe, 3 mins walk from the Budapest city park, which is a great spot, and the bus is practically right outside the front door.
The hotel was noticeably clean and hygienic, inside and out. The wellness area is well equipped for the €5 you pay. This includes the gym, pool, sauna and jacuzzi and once you pay you have the facilities for the entire day. Heated & spacious pool also. The wellness staff are very friendly and professional and always ready with a smile and salute.
One element that did bug me was that even though the restaurant and bar had good food and service, the bar staff were not as friendly as I would have liked. I did read some reviews on the bar staff before I arrived and they were more or less correct.
That said, the consierge staff and management were very helpful and friendly. They made us feel very welcome and gave assistance whenever it was required.
The cleaning staff were also very friendly and trustworthy, which gave great piece of mind.
I'd stay in the Lions Garden again for sure!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rob_Moylan
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hotel was spotlessly clean and the rooms cleaned properly (not just the towels!) daily. We stayed half board and the evening meals were so good that we only ended up having cakes and drinks at lunchtime. Breakfast was ample choice of both hot and cold food and cereals plus fruit.
Staff - reception, bar and restaurant were very professional polite and helpful. I travelled with my 14 year old son and felt at ease.
Yes the hotel was a fair way out of town but we knew that when we booked and there are plenty of bus stops close by and a station/metro a short ten minute walk away. Buy a Budapest card for unlimited transport - good value.
As for the city - fabulous - people are reserved by nature I think but once they see you are friendly they open up and are very approachable. Certainly didnt feel ripped off as one previous reviewer put. You can eat and drink cheaply too all good quality - follow the locals..
All in all a smashing trip

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family