“Tasty traditional food with oldschool design”

Pozsonyi Kisvendeglo
Ranked #407 of 3,246 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Budapest, Hungary
“Tasty traditional food with oldschool design”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Very tasty food, oldschool design (traditional hungarian design from 80's). The service is little bit slow and you can't choose from too mutch food. Recommended if you want to try the traditional hungarian cousine. After your dinner recommended to go the "Music Fountain" at Margit-sziget.

• Visited September 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wolcott, Connecticut, United States
“Best in Budapest”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place is by far the best and most authentic Hungarian restaurant I have ever been to. It is much better food than any of the touristy places. It is also priced for locals which means you can eat like a king here without spending too much. I like it so much I have eaten here more times than most places where I live. Everything I have tried on the menu is great. I especially love the cucumber salad and the beefsteak tartar. Their beers are also reasonably priced and a good selection. You have to trust a place to eat raw beef. The only negative that can be said is that smoking is allowed inside. There are smoking sections, but if someone lights up, you will probably smell it. I know some people are sensitive to that stuff, but you will soon learn that people smoke everywhere in Hungary so it is almost unavoidable.

• Visited March 2013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic find!!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is the third time we have visited this restaurant...We come to Sziget so we found this restaurant 3 years ago just by chance.We were lucky this time as we didn't have to wait for an outside table....in previous years we've had to wait.Always busy with both locals and tourists.I think it's worth the wait.....the service can be a little slow sometimes but the food is excellent and plentiful.the staff are friendly and like most restaurants their English is limited but so what my Hungarian is nil!!!! The menu has some english so give it a try!!Definitely worth a visit and you'll be happy with the price.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jane J
Boston
“Fine for a cheap meal”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We sought out this traditional Hungarian restaurant favored by locals, but our Western palates were disappointed. The food was on the salty side and heavy and the portions were generous. I ordered a salad that was drowning in a dill cream dressing and topped with a smoked cheese. It was tasty, but heavy. My Hungarian fish soup I could not bear to eat--it smelled like a cross between dishwater and chicken broth and had a giant chunk of brown fish and bones floating on top--not to my taste, but perhaps authentic? My husband had a mixed grill of fish which was reasonably good, but salty. Our son had a bowl of bean and rib soup--smoky and good. The service was not friendly--no one greeted us when we came in so we simply stood and waited for a table to free up. It was very busy on a Friday night with tourists and locals both, so again I want to qualify that it just didn't appeal to us and perhaps others would enjoy it. It was a very good value--less than $30 for 3 people.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Finally, really good Hungarian food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by our guide on a walking tour. After suffering through mediocre tourist "Hungarian" food, this was a fantastic find. We took Tram #2, then walked to Pozsonyi Street. You can also access it by metro, but it's about a 15 minute walk. We preferred to wait for a table outside on the terrace as the weather had cooled. We each had a large beer, goulash (the way its supposed to be!), a crepe stuffed with mince meat and a sauce for starters. The large portions told us that we really didn't need the main courses we had ordered!

I had pork with a paprika and sour cream mushroom sauce with noodles (like gnocci). My husband had a beautiful steak with browned mushrooms. Both these dishes did not disappoint and we felt very satisfied. We wanted dessert, but had no room! Our servers were very patient and quite pleasant, but couldn't really offer advice on the dishes as I think their English might have been limited and our Hungarian non-existent.

Definitely worth leaving Vaci Street or other tourist area for some real Hungarian food. Thanks, Emma, for the recommendation!

• Visited July 2013