“Fine for a cheap meal”

Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We sought out this traditional Hungarian restaurant favored by locals, but our Western palates were disappointed. The food was on the salty side and heavy and the portions were generous. I ordered a salad that was drowning in a dill cream dressing and topped with a smoked cheese. It was tasty, but heavy. My Hungarian fish soup I could not bear to eat--it smelled like a cross between dishwater and chicken broth and had a giant chunk of brown fish and bones floating on top--not to my taste, but perhaps authentic? My husband had a mixed grill of fish which was reasonably good, but salty. Our son had a bowl of bean and rib soup--smoky and good. The service was not friendly--no one greeted us when we came in so we simply stood and waited for a table to free up. It was very busy on a Friday night with tourists and locals both, so again I want to qualify that it just didn't appeal to us and perhaps others would enjoy it. It was a very good value--less than $30 for 3 people.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by our guide on a walking tour. After suffering through mediocre tourist "Hungarian" food, this was a fantastic find. We took Tram #2, then walked to Pozsonyi Street. You can also access it by metro, but it's about a 15 minute walk. We preferred to wait for a table outside on the terrace as the weather had cooled. We each had a large beer, goulash (the way its supposed to be!), a crepe stuffed with mince meat and a sauce for starters. The large portions told us that we really didn't need the main courses we had ordered!

I had pork with a paprika and sour cream mushroom sauce with noodles (like gnocci). My husband had a beautiful steak with browned mushrooms. Both these dishes did not disappoint and we felt very satisfied. We wanted dessert, but had no room! Our servers were very patient and quite pleasant, but couldn't really offer advice on the dishes as I think their English might have been limited and our Hungarian non-existent.

Definitely worth leaving Vaci Street or other tourist area for some real Hungarian food. Thanks, Emma, for the recommendation!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We walked into this place off the street and were lucky to be given a table, as it was packed with locals. People who walked in after us were turned away or had to stand and wait for a table. The service was friendly, however they were a bit slow in bringing out drinks for us and asking us if we wanted more to drink. The menu was long, and full of Hungarian dishes. There were limited Vegetarian options and much of the food is very heavy - not what I really wanted on a warm summer evening. I ended up choosing a chicken breast stuffed with asparagus. It was tasty but not fantastic. I don't think we would eat there again.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I live in Budapest and I come to eat here sometimes. I also often suggest this place to tourists. It's located in the center, the portions are huge, the prices are low, and food is gooood. :)

They cook mostly Hungarian meals with a few Jewish ones. My favourite is the pork shanks for two persons. We've never been able to eat it all, even when we were three! Luckily they pack the remaining if you ask.

You can sit outside when the weather is fine, then you can smoke.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This one is a bit off the beaten path. There was mostly some local gentleman esathing when we arrived.

Service was friendly and helpful. Food was simple, well made and plentiful. In my homecountry we would feed a family of five wit he amount of food served on one plate here. Forget starters, get your fix of "Pörkölt" and probably you cant even think of desert.

After your dinner, you can take a nice walk along the riverpromenade.

1  Thank kumiankka