“A spring and summer breakfast venue..written on behalf of my little Sophie (A Chiwawa)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistro Deryne

Bistro Deryne
Ranked #158 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Buda's oldest and largest landmark Bistro dating back to 1914, serving warm meals and light appetisers from early in the morning till late at night. Live jazz concerts, wine cellar, open fire place in several dining rooms. Large local bar scene. Kitchen open past midnight most nights. The on-site bakery serves the restaurant and a small artisan bread shop next door. More casual wine bar 'spicc' operated by Deryne just down the street.
Budapest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I live literally a dogs walk from the Deryn..A tiny Chiwawa walk ...and it becomes a run the nearer we get...
However this is not a review from my little Sophie despite the heading..
In the Spring and summer we breafast there every day walking through the lovely parkland and arriving at Cristina Ter ( Square) enjoying the rather Parisien atmosphere..of this very popular venue..In the autumn and winter it is inside eating and dogs are not allowed and that applies to all eating establishments..
My choice is limited to croissants and coffee which I reccomend thoroughly..but I see others close by eating very tasty looking dishes..
The place is always busy and Sunday is a No..No..It is so crowded and deserves to be..
I have never had a full meal but it is a landmark in the area..
One other plus is a small kiosk selling the most gorgeous fresh breads...They are delicious and really fresh...
Visitors ...do try this famous venue..

• Visited September 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
“Lovely restaurant with attentive staff, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

In my two night stay in Budapest I went to Deryne twice for brunch as the first time was so good! The menu for brunch is short but asking for something not on the menu (scrambled eggs) didn't appear to be an issue and we were more than accommodated in our particular requests. We sat up in a booth beside the open stove and this was a lovely, relaxed place for brunch. On the 2nd visit the friendly waiter remembered us and before we left he kindly produced a lovely cake for us to share to say thank you. Excellent service.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank sunseasandski
York, United Kingdom
“Awful and incredibly overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

My partner and I found the deryne during our few days trip in Budapest. Budapest is such a beautiful and buzzing city with full of history and lots of amazing restaurant.. Hungarian food and hospitality just lovely, during our 5 days trip I was only disappointed once, in deryne.

The food was actually not too bad.. We fell in love with hungarian beef paprikash so we ordered one as it was recommended by our lovely waiter. We knew we'd need to wait for our beautiful paprikash so we tried not to be inpatient, even though we were very hungry.. We asked first 30 mins after the order, and we were told it would be another 20 minutes... 35 minutes after this our cold and disappointing meal arrived which was so bad we could not even finish.. I did not want to complain, only because the staff were so amazingly nice.. It was Sunday, a very busy day - there were only a few of them on shift running around like crazy, they still managed to be friendly and polite and did not ignore a single question or request from guests. I was surprised to see that they did not get any support from the senior members, they were sort of standing around and checking tills but I did not see any of them with a tray in hand even though the restaurant was incredibly busy and we were not the only guests who had to wait...

When we were settling the bill we got to talk to one of the member of the staff and I felt so sad for everyone who is working there.. Our waiter told us that they were not allowed to eat during working hours and he started at 8.30am (it was 3pm that time??) and also when we tried to tip him (as we had no problem with the staff) he told us he only get to keep 10 per cent of his tip ??? We still left some money for the staff because they were so hard working and polite, we both think the owner should be proud of them.

Overall, it was an incredibly disappointing experience because we had to wait more than an hour for our cold food which we still needed to pay for (and it was unbelievably expensive compared to other great restaurant in Budapest) and none of the senior member of the staff would step up and apologise for the delay.. I still feel a bit guilty for commenting the costumer service this bad as everyone we met were very nice but the owner/management should treat guests and staff nicer if they would like to have a restaurant with a happy and pleasant atmosphere..

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Sarah S
Budapest
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Liked it a lot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We weere here for the second time today. Firat time we only had drinks which gave us the urge to come back for food next day. Please try the traditional chicken sossage. Very good! The second day our waiter was a little unpatient and not good in english. This is ok but worse is when we are made to feel stupid for it... But all in all we reeally recommend it. Try the chili drink!

1 Thank Linnblomfeldt
Toronto, Canada
“Great Meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

This French style Bistro on the Buda side was a worthwhile walk of about 15 minutes up through the Buda Castle Tunnel from our hotel (Lanchid 19) near the Chain Bridge. We entered a packed house to the tunes of a live jazz quartet. I was a bit apprehensive coming here due to some of the bad reviews but the food and service we received here was excellent. My wife’s Chicken Caesar was plentiful and my Hungarian Beef Paprika with noodles was outstanding, accented by an exquisitely spiking red hot chili pepper! For Buda side dining, Déryné along with Lanchid Sörözo and Marvelosa are excellent choices.

• Visited October 2013