“Excellent family vacation for us”
Review of Hotel Marina

Hotel Marina
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Balatonfured
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I am an American who has lived and worked throughout Central/Eastern Europe for over 20 years now. This was our 1st visit to hotel Marina as we were looking for a last minute option for our 2 1/2 year old son to play on a beach and in the water (We live in Slovakia and Balatonfured is under 3 hours for us). Our son had so much fun that we could only get him to leave by promising to return next Summer, which we definately will be doing!
In short, hotel Marina is exactly as advertized, a three star family oriented location. If you are looking for 5 star luxury pampering the Marina is not for you but if like us, you are searching for a location which has everything for your children to do on site (as well as allot for parents) then we would reccomend hotel Marina. For me one of the biggest surprizes was the attitude of the staff as they were incredibly friendly and helpful even though during our stay the hotel was almost full and they seemed incredibly busy. I have ALLOT of experience with grumpy, ex Stalinist era hotel staff who haven't gotten the message that Breznev has passed away and they now lived in a free market open economy. The staff always had time for us and were extremely helpful.
The Childrens beach/play area was PERFECT and the baby lagoon was exactly what we were looking for. Our son spent most of his time playing here or driving the childrens race cars on the race track next to the water (which my wife also seemed to have allot of fun, see pictures)
I suppose if we had anything to say negative it would be that our room was a bit hot for us on our first night, until we discovered that the windows have screens so we could actually open our windows through the night as well as rooms with air con upon request.
We live and work in Slovakia, spend each July/August in California and then return to work in Slovakia. We will definately be returning to hotel Marina from Sept 1st to 5th 2012 and we highly reccomend this location for families such as ours.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank craig b
Balaton1, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Marina, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you for having taken the time to share your comments about your stay at the Hotel Marina and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you very very much for your kind note about our hotel! It is a pleasure for us to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us and were satisfied with our services and with the staff.
We are looking forward to surprise you again by your next stay!
Thank you very much once more for sharing your experiences with other travellers and with us!

Best regards,
Orsolya Mayer

There are newer reviews for Hotel Marina

Reviewed August 15, 2010

We booked this hotel on the strength of a recommendation from a work colleague. We were travelling with friends from out of town and wanted something that could accomodate us all.

This hotel is simply awlful. The corridors look like prisons, while out double room provdied two single beds pushed up against the wall (more like a bench than a bed). After seeing the rooms, smelling what was clearly hash in the corridor, we checked out.

I do not understand why anyone would choose to stay here. Unless you are a teenager you will not enjoy this hotel. Probably the worst I have ever been too.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank James H
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We are just back from Balatonfured where we wanted to stay at the Marina Hotel as it was hosting the main part of the European Swimming Championship events (including the ceremonies) and, as Italy was absolutely leading, it would have been nice to share emotions and happiness with the team staying in the same hotel. We were walking through the parking when and a old man, one of the porters, approached us in a very rough manner, in a confused German. I tried to make him understand what were we doing there but he just litterally kicked us off in a very rude way because we weren't wearing a pass. I have been working in hotels for years and I do speak 5 languages so I'm not the kind of person pretending to be understood in his language but I believe English it's the global language and everybody working in turistic places should learn at least its basis! Poor old man, you're such a bad business card for this hotel. Also, your boss should be aware that an English course for staff is not expensive at all compared to what it gives in return. It's ok, for a couple of days now you may have been fully booked so you may not need more Guests...but don't expect us to come back in a future when you'll be starving! By the way, we moved to Héviz and we are having a great time there in a less expensive but more wonderful place!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chegue79
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I was here with my husband. We choose this hotel because we thought that it is good, but it wasn't. When we arrived there, our room was dirty and old style, we wanted to go home. The hotel is very simple and doesn't clear. The only good thing is that the food is delicious, but the staff checks when you go to eat... This hotel doesn't worth this price.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gaddemon
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Actually we couldn't even check how this hotel is, because when we were on our way to the hotel, were informed(I called them, because wanted to ask something regarding the payment), that the reservation is different in their system than what we received via email. When I asked for help from the receptionist, she started to shout at me and told me " Sorry, I can not do anything, there's a long queue here, lots of people are waiting for me, so call us back tomorrow, maybe somebody can tell you what should you do" and she cut the call....after this I wrote an email to the hotel and asked for my money what I paid in advance. They said, will transfer the money back to me. It was in the end of July 2009, since that time I haven't seen any money from them!
So what I can advise: DO NOT CHOOSE THIS HOTEL if you would like to have a peaceful holiday!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TideBudapest
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We've just returned from our vacation from 11 to 17 August.

As we hadn't been in vacation at lake Balaton, we, my sister and me decided that we will go to the Hotel Marina because of the All Inclusive treatment. It was what they promised. Simple rooms (our was number 710), old fasioned furniture, the bathroom needs renovation, but everything was very clean.

The beds, the pillows (what are very important for me) are great. OK, all is simple, but I liked it very much, it's about our vacation, because what you need? Clean, comfy room, bathroom (with bathtube), and good food, nice, frendly staff. If you don't need luxury, you will find your counts here.

Foods: in the morning you can start with breakfast, with sausage, omlet, bread, milk, coffee... etc. after that you can drink and eat in the Palma Snack restaurant with snacks, beer, wine, Coke drinks, orange and multivitamin juices and the VERY good ice tea, cold water, and especially their very good cakes, mainly that one with lot of chocolates and coconut...

I could forward with the lunch, and after that go back to the beach (look the photos attached) which is very large with big trees, very child-friendly beach. While you enjoy lake Balaton, and tired from the swimming, playing games, or playing beach-ball, ping-pong, etc., you can go back to the Palma Snack Restaurant and eat some ice cream (it's a brand, again, but I won't advertise :) ).

After the busy day, you can rest as you eat (if you can) your dinner. Every meal's quality is near to a good restaurant (though there was days when I didn't find anything to eat, but it's because I am so picky, my sister told me that).

I didn't mentioned the salads and fruits which are in the separated part of the restaurant, they are very good too.

Only one thing (apart from the rude german turists - the men was not too polite, their children didn't go away from your way when you would like to go out from the lift, they very slow when enter the lift and when they go out... and so on - and it's NOT the hotel's fault) so only one thing is what they need to change, and I have to complaint, and it's the common toilet's cleanliness. I think a little bit of attention and the smell and garbage is vanish. OK, I know that the hotel is full, there are hundreds of guests... but. BUT. This is the cause why I'm not give five stars.

Definietly, we will go back next summer. Thanks Marina, thanks to all of the staff, thanks especially Krisztina in the Marketing Department and to Márta who guided us before our vacation, showing the hotel. I didn't wrote their whole names because of personal cause.

I recommend this hotel families, couples, pensioners who don't need luxury, but need cleanliness, and need to eat very good foods. You can REST. You don't need to cook, clean or do anything else than rest and enjoy your vacation. It's excellent. You don't need to bring your values to the town's beach. Just grab a chair, put your things, and that's all. I am very sad that I had to come home. :))))))

Ps for the Tripadvisor: the photo is above is from the Hotel Annabella, Balatonfüred, not the Marina. I'm afraid I haven't got one, but you can find in website of the Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Kismaci
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We just returned from a weekend at the Marina Hotel in Balatonfured. The grounds were nice , the staff were very friendly and professional but the Hotel was terrible. The rooms were tiny , smaller than any other hotel on this strip and very run down. This is rated a 3 star hotel , well probably 1 star and that would only be because it has a private beach. We had to change from a room to a suite with a balcony as we could not breathe in the tiny room but the same low quality was found in the suite and at a much higher price. The towels ...... they changed them every day but they were rags, the type you would use to wash the floors. The food was not bad but very little variety and mostly what a child would like. Snacks are available but again hot dogs or junk food. This hotel is an all inclusive so the price you pay also includes all the terrible wine and beer you can drink. My husband and I came here hoping for a little peace and quietness however this hotel was 85% children who were not quiet. There was not any place where a child was not crying.
This hotel is part of the Danuibus Hotel chain which was why we went there having been at their other hotels around HUngary and never having a problem.The Marina Hotel unfortunetly is a noisy, run down ,old hotel that is certainly not worth the money. We booked on the internet and found out we could have paid less had we gone straight to the hotel and booked . This place is probaby good for families with small children but no one else. Bring ear plugs even then as it lies beside a noisy highway .

• Stayed: June 2006