“Well...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Uni

Hotel Uni
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Balatonfured
Hotel Uni
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Balatonfured
Budapest
“Well...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Well.
I have trouble about rating the Hotel Uni. In the beginning I started with 4 stars. When I saw the room, the rate decreased to 3. Not because of cleanliness, but the room (and the hotel) needs renovation. The carpet so worn out, it simply cannot be clean properly, the paint of the wall is dirty etc.

So it's OK for the cleanliness. Just OK.

After that, we gone to the beach - it's not too big, surrounded with boats - since it's a harbor as well. But it's open to public.
The breakfast was OK, nothing special, we missed the fresh fruits - since it's summer after all.

But what makes me give the worst:
They do not have an elevator, we had a room on 3rd floor, the closest one to the street (which means the farest from Balaton). It was extremely hot. We cannot sleep, because even the shower water wasn't cool enough, so I couldn't cool down to sleep.
So, I couldn't sleep on my second night there (yesterday night - 06.07.2012.) - I woke up at 2:30 A.M., and told my sister (who couldn't sleep as well) that we should call the Reception about rent-a-fan.

BUT! We had a phone, but it wasn't plugged in, we didn't have the number to the Reception (after we found a place to plug in it). Nothing. Remember: it was dawn, we were sleepy, and on the 3rd floor, without lift. But because I needed to sleep - I drove home today (07.07.2012), I decided to go down to ask. My sister came with me.

When we arrived to the Reception, the guy told us that they do not have enough fans for every room! If I could call them, I needn't go down and up sleepy and very angry. THEN I decided to give the one point. How can afford a hotel with a very hot summer (41 Celsius degree and 37-38 the other day) such thing?

Finally I could sleep, but only because we gone to the beach and sat down a little, cool down. And in the room, I needed to wet my towel and cool myself down...

Recommendations for the hotel if they see my review:
- enough fans for hot summers
- better breakfast (with fruits)
- room phones IN WORK ORDER - and with number to the Reception!
- refurbish the rooms, the paintings, etc.
- if the hotel is No Smoking, the guests shouldn't smoke on the terrace of their rooms - because if somebody smoke below my terrace, I simply cannot breath...

It was a disappointment for me, for almost 40k HUF (approx. 200 USD) with breakfast, because with my spending, I could go to the Anna Grand Hotel**** with half board (two nights for approx 300 USD)...

Room Tip: Nearer to Lake Balaton than we had (308), maybe it's: - quieter - not-so-hot.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We spent two nights in July at the hotel. The weather was hot, and our room on the top floor was hotter. They didn't have enough fan and we couldn't sleep because the hot night.
The room was acceptable, the bathroom clean. They should repaint the rooms.
The breakfast was poorly. In the summer they don't have fruits for breakfast, it was quite surprise.
The beach was nice, but it's an open beach, not just guest only. The facilities were quite dirty. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for room with wiev to the lake, they could be cooler. And if you don't want to go up 3 store...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Balatonfured hotels

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

The Hotel Uni is a modern 3 storey block building (no lift) right on the waterside of Lake Balaton, first built in the 1970's communist era as the holiday home for the Technical University of the Budapest. It is still reputedly owned by the University, but has been leased to a number operators since then - most recently to some scientologists, apparently. The rooms and bathrooms are adequate, but rather small, and the furniture and fittings are a bit tired, but still perfectly adequate for a holiday hotel. The rooms on the western side all have balconies overlooking the park and the lake, those on the eastern side only have huge windows. There is some refurbishment going on, but even so the rooms are perfectly acceptable for a summer holiday. The greatest asset of the hotel is its location - in a beautiful lakeside park, right on the waterfront, with direct access to the warm and limpid waters of Lake Balaton. The hotel is also within direct walking distance to all the attractions, restaurants and entertainments of Balatonfured, one of the most beautiful and historic lakeside towns on Lake Balaton. There is a good breakfast buffet, and the hotel restaurant serves lunch and dinner as well. There are bicycles for hire, and there is a wonderful lakeside cycle path you can take to Tihany, or in the opposite direction. One word of warning though: there is a large marina and sailing club also located in the hotel, and many of the nouveau rich members of the Hungarian sailing community are not characterized by excessive good manners and refinement in my experience. They can be noisy, unpleasant, aggressive and in large groups they behave as if they owned the place (if not the world!), making it quite unpleasant for other hotel guests. Overall, a pleasant and very well located holiday hotel - when the boorish sailors are away...

Room Tip: Rooms on the western side recommended as they have balconies, but cost a bit more... try to avoid th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jpfSydney
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

We were attending a wedding near by and this hotel was on their recommended list of cheaper hotels, as per the website. Therefore the rooms were correspondingly reserved.

However, on arrival we were informed that the price was not applicable as there was a holiday and hence the price was alot higher. Bit annoying....as no mention of this before.

The rooms are a VERY basic 2/3 star quality. This wasn't a problem for us as we initially expected this based on the inital price. Room cleaning was a bit weird, only the bed was made and floor swept. Towels were not changed daily nor sheets, not a problem but had i knowned before we would have kept them a bit nicer. We didn't even get additional soap or shower gel after use, so bit confused as to what these cleaners actually do!

No lifts - be warned.

Breakfast was just about acceptable, nothing special. But here was the worst thing, they actually charge you for breakfast automatically!! They say YOU have to tell them if you don't want it! Seems like a scam to me and we (like some other group) only hence realised on checkout. So even days we didn't eat breakfast we were still charged for it.

There is free wi-fi in the lobby area and you have free acess to the lake behind the hotel. Although, everyone else also seemed to have free access strangely.

My personal opinion is that if you looking for a budget hotel to miss this one out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends