“A Very Nice Stay”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Portoroz
Kirkland
“A Very Nice Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stated at GBH. The front desk staff were quite helpful. The view of the sea was amazing. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast - lots of healthy choices. The dinner at the in-hotel restaurant was a bit expensive, but I found some comfortable and affordable restaurants withing a couple minutes walk of the hotel (e.g. take a right as you come out of the ground floor, look for the restaurant that is labeled as "Pizzeria", they have plenty of sandwiches). I left my watch in the hotel room by accident. Called them about it when I got home 2 weeks later and they happily mailed it to me in the U.S. The valet parking was quick and simple. The ocean swimming was fun, but I prefer to be indoors so I took advantage of the indoor "infinity pool". My family also took advantage of the in-house spa which they seemed to enjoy a lot.

Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jordan55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights, and I have to say my stay in this hotel was the worst part of my trip. The view from your hotel room will be simply amazing, however, the view is the only thing amazing about this hotel. Upon arrival, you will quickly notice that the hotel staff will go through great lengths to get you to only use their overpriced and incredibly underwhelming services, and at the expense of your enjoyment. And as one guest mentioned above in another review, the staff treat you like the enemy, and almost unapproachable. The staff will never smile, never greet you, and you'll be left wondering they types of guests who came in before you who caused the staff to act like they do.

The rooms are very small, and decorated in early Soviet ugly - I thought Borat was going to greet me on my hotel balcony with a hammer and sickle. The amenities are mediocre - they claim to have WiFi, but if your internet connection doesn't work, you'll find yourself frustrated trying to find a person who cares enough to help you fix it. My recommendation - go to the concierge and yell at them (literally) until they provide you with internet access - by my 4th night, I could get online. It seems they forgot to flip the switch for internet to my room. Coincidentally, my internet started working after I yelled at the gentleman behind the concierge's desk.

The rooms have a strange odor - similar to the hallways. For a hotel that is so incredibly large and located on the beach, it is completely indoors - the hallways have probably not had fresh air in decades.

If you are planning to come to Portoroz with friends or family and you have an extremely busy agenda that allows you to spend as little time as possible in this hotel, I would then recommend you stay at the Grand Hotel Bernardin. However, if you're planning to spend even 1 morning in this hotel, seek elsewhere. In concluding, it's obvious they try very very hard to be a luxurious hotel, which they're not, and it's simply cheesy. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location.

Details below on my first night of horror:

On my first night, I arrived late from the airport, was tired, and simply wanted something to eat. I asked the concierge about the local restaurants in the area, seeing as that is a common question to ask concierge services at a hotel in the US. However, they wouldn't provide me with any information other than the location of their restaurant on the 10th floor, which was filled with guests dressed in tuxedos. I just spent more than 10 hours on an airplane, was very tired and hungry, and I didn't want to get dressed up for dinner, so I opted to walk around the town. That was a complete failure since it was completely dark outside and I had no idea where I was going. 10 minutes into my walk, I turned around and reluctantly ordered room service which cost me 70 Euro. 70 Euro gets you a mediocre bottle of wine and a chicken filet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank StateSideWorldTravel
Nasushiobara, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed 7 nights at this hotel, half board service.
For a 5 star hotel I would have expected better rooms, and definitely much better food, whose
quality was rather low, both at breakfast and dinner.
The exit to the beach is just on the seashore: it is not a beach, but a cement levelling which can be rather hot and uncomfortable during the hot noon hours.
My room (on the second floor) was at times rather smelly due to the sewage odor seeping from downstairs through the ventiduct on the floor of my bathroom.
Same foul odor I smelled - especially early in the morning- at street level, when crossing from the hotel to the cement explanade (beach)

Room Tip: The complex comprises 3 hotels: one 3 star, another 4 star and this one of 5 star. You probably can...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank locomotore
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent 3 nights in this hotel in July and could very easily have spent more! Having driven up from Croatia and sussing out all the resorts on the Slovenian coast we settled on this gorgeous hotel in Portoroz. We were made to feel very welcome and were shown the room before checkin to ensure it was satisfactory- a lovely big room, comfortable bed and balcony with sea view ensured it most definitely was! We opted for the half board option and weren't disappointed; the hotel restaurant has a great variety of food and has waiter table service to ensure your drinks are always topped up. If we could have had an all inclusive option we would have taken it but were told this was unavailable.
The hotel has a private shale beach and towels are complimentary. The lifeguard ensures everyone has a lounger and even though the hotel was busy this was never a problem.
Piran is within walking distance and when the heat got too much we wandered through to Piran centre and browsed through the gorgeous fishing villiage. The hotel also runs a complimentary shuttle and there is a novelty train which runs regularly from the hotel to Piran centre for 3.50euro return.
Another bonus is that there is a lot of onsite parking which is free of charge.
All in all I really could not fault this amazing hotel and definitely plan a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Porto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel is located just in front of the sea, you just have to go down to the zero floor and dive. All the rooms have balconies with a beautiful view and perfect to sunbathe in the afternoon. The rooms are nice and clean but for a five star hotel I would expect more. There are no real double beds, just 2 single together. For a deeper relaxation I would recommend the spa, which is quite nice and has reasonable prices. I drink in at the terrace bar is also enjoyable. There is a wide variety for conference rooms and the service is excellent. All the meals I had were also quite nice. The overall location is also very good, between Piran and Portoroz, with many dinning and bar options.

Room Tip: Higher floors have an amazing view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank marianarrs
Old bridge, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is perhaps one of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed. The location is right on the ocean with most rooms overlooking the ocean/lake area. The food was outstanding. The rooms are clean and well equpped. The restaurant was superb not only in food but also in service. The hotel employees were extremely generous, polite and very helpful.

Room Tip: request room overlooking the lake/ocean side with balcony .
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank biopharm34
Waverly, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I spent five nights here in May, attending a conference. The seaside location is lovely, and all rooms have balconies overlooking the sea. Two small towns (Portoroz and Piran) with (limited) shopping but numerous dining options, are short walks from the hotel. It is clear that the hotel does a lot of conference business. The hotel conference services seemed responsive and appropriate, with well-maintained conference rooms, excellent coffee breaks, good climate control, all necessary audio-visual equipment, and efficient set-up. Breakfast was also good, in a large, airy room with sea views. One dinner we had in the hotel was nicely catered with several vegetarian options. All staff I encountered were courteous and helpful. Bath towels were large and fluffy, and the room was very clean. Light was adequate for reading and working. Other aspects of the rooms, however, left something to be desired. The bed in my tiny third-floor room was one of the worst I have encountered anywhere, with what appeared to be mattress springs poking up through the top. There are no coffee/tea-making facilities in the rooms, nor iron/ironing board, which is unusual for a hotel that caters to so many business guests (for conferences). And the fitness room hours are quite limited - 0900 to 2100. This means one cannot use the equipment before the conference sessions begin, and typically one cannot use them at night after dinner either, because they close so early. While this was a good hotel for a conference, I would not recommend it for a holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business