“Excellent Spa and hotel. Great Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Portoroz

Grand Hotel Portoroz
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Portoroz
London
“Excellent Spa and hotel. Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from a short break with a friend and were recommended the Grand Hotel and Spa.
We were on the fifth floor with a lovely view of the coast. My only advise is that the seafront can be noisy at night and if you feel this would bother you then I suggest a room perhaps facing away from the front.
Overall the service was excellent and reception staff were helpful and friendly.
It is not a new hotel and not five star compared to Asian or Middle Eastern properties but none the less it was comfortable.
The Icing on the cake is the Spa - both my friend and I travel throughout Asia and the Middle East for business and the treatments we received (Thai, Ayurvedic , and Thalasso) were professional and excellent and I would say amongst the best I have experienced.
The Sauna Park is great as are the mineral pools.
We traveled in April 2013 when the town is not too busy. .

Room Tip: refer to my comments above.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My daughter and I had chocolate wraps @ Spa Real today. It was AMAZING. Our therapists Ana + Lorena were excellent. It was so relaxing and my skin feels terrific. Gracias mujeres.A job very well done .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maureen B
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for 4 nights.
We liked it very much. It is a great place to stay for a vacation.
Hotel provides great service and very friendly personal. We were impressed.
Also hotel provides a great beach arrangement, well organized and
it is like 100 meters from the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ap80127
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I and my daughter just got back from another Slovenian holiday. Slovenia is one of my favorite spots in whole Europe therefore I try to visit a least once a year, sometimes even twice. The coastal towns of Portoroz & Piran are delightful & lively, Lake Bled located within the Julienne Alps is breathtaking and serene while the beautiful baroque city of Ljubljana, Slovenia's capital is exciting and so rich in history & arts... Whenever I am in Portoroz, I stay at one of the Life Class chains which namely are; Grand, Riviera, Slovenija, Apollo, Neptune & Mirna. Through the years, I have spent time in all these hotels, not just alone but with family and friends too, occupying several rooms at a time! However, during my visit last week in Portoroz (my last was in March this year), we booked in Grand. The last time I stayed there was in 2000, why? Because we had such a bad experience! We checked-in in this beautiful hotel, were assigned wonderful rooms with seaview but voila! The airconditioning system was malfunctioning! That summer of 2000 was horrendous with temperatures rising up to 40° centigrade and without proper airconditioning in the room, one would simply pass out from the heat which was actually what happened to one of my friends, we were a group of 9 at that time! We kept complaining but relatively nothing was done. After 48hrs. of unbearable heat, my (late) husband said "I can't take this anymore, pack up, we'll return home to Vienna!" Me, pregnant at that time and still going through a never ending "morning sickness" was the most suffering from the heat! I decided to walk down the road to look for another accommodation and prevent our holiday from being spoiled. After several attempts with other hotels (those I mentioned above) which were all fully booked, I came to Riviera and was told that the only available was the Presidential Suite and 2 other double deluxe rooms. Without having second thoughts I immediately took these accommodations (despite the painful price tag, lol!). The Pres. Suite which has 2 bedrooms, a split level (living & dining room downstairs) with a lovely winding staircase and huge balconies was for me & my husband plus two other friends and the 2 other rooms for our other friends. And so in the middle of the night my group and I transferred and the rest of the holiday was saved & enjoyed to the fullest! In between then & now, I have stayed in Life Class' chains and have always been satisfied. I very, very seldom try other hotels except when Life Class is full, so I opt for Hotel Bernardin up the road towards Piran or at Marita down the road towards Lucija. This year having comeback from a 6week Southeast Asian holiday in June til July, I felt that I still didn't have enough of the sea and so off I drove with my 11 year old daughter to Portoroz and stayed in Grand (after 11yrs!)... To my dismay, we were assigned a room again where the aircondition was hardly functioning! Though the staff tried to appease me by saying it will be repaired in due time, I was still sweating in the night because the system was merely blowing air, and so little it was! One receptionist even said that the others rooms were programmed with 24 or 25° temperature and the guests weren't complaining at all! And that they have programed mine at 23°! I said it can't be 23° because how on earth would one perspire so profusely like we did? Anyway, even 23° is less! There isn't anything more relaxing and invigorating but to be able to sleep deeply at night in a cool room, especially after a wholeday of laying under the sun at the beach. Anyway, until after we checked out, the problem insisted. Sometimes it will work but most of the time it fails... For a 5* hotel such as Grand, one would expect that airconditioning system will function splendidly and would be individually regulated at one's desire, sadly that is not the case with Grand. It had a poor airconditioning system 11 years ago and it remains so until today! Yes, the internet too is very slow plus considering their room rates, they should at least include internet access free of charge!

In fairness, other that these shortages, the Life Class chain is still highly recommendable but perhaps try not getting into Grand if you'll have other choice! Tip: The Riviera Hotel is wonderful!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

I've been there for just one night. The hotel has a 5 stars board on the entrance but that's it. It is a kind of average and pretty old 4 stars.
Room was big but with basic and old furniture.
Nice view of the sea from the balcony.
The wifi is crap. It took me almost 2 hours to download a few files since the quality of the connections was really bad and changing constantly.
Breakfast is ok but service not as you would expect.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Alessandro B
LifeClass, Guest Relations at Grand Hotel Portoroz, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear guests,
to begin with, we would like to express our gratitude for giving us the opportunity to host you on your short stay in Portorož. Our aim is to always, not only fulfill, but overcome our guests’ expectations and therefore we sincerely appreciate your feedback information.
We are delighted to read upon your well-being and are grateful to have been informed upon your observation with wifi. Because of urgent works on wifi, there was some days of bad quality of connection. We apologize for this and we thank you for your understanding.
Yours sincerely,
Guest Relations Manager
LifeClass Hotels&Spa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Grand Hotel Portoroz is probably the best hotel in Portoroz and on the Slovenian coast. It is not cheap at all but it is worth: the location is superb, the beach is great (though the sea is not very warm) and the entrance (towels, umbrella and sun chairs) is included in the room price, the staff is friendly and helpful (they even park your car in the garage), one-hour free internet per day (10EUR for unlimited use for 5 days), and very tasty breakfast! And what a cake shop!
Two minuses: the toiletry in the room must be better, and the open pool is a joke (30cm deep) for a hotel of this class.
Hihgly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiroslavaF
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

I spent 3 nights in a suite of the hotel and there is amazing view from the room!
I woke up and could see the sun rise and the see at the same time.
It is a great hotel!

Room Tip: suite with see view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business