Kempinski Palace Portoroz
$134
Hotel Marko(Portoroz)
TripAdvisor
1,234 results
All reviewsold buildingnew wingpool areafleur de seluntil noonolder partstar experiencesea viewcrystal roomball roomsalt water poolperfect hotelour honeymoondeluxe roombreakfast is servednice poolexcellent breakfast
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A beautiful hotel in central Portoroz with excellent facilities and staff in a great location. The beds were particularly comfortable and the rooms were very spacious with lovely views. Breakfast was very good and served in a palatial ballroom and veranda.The staff were very proffessional and friendly.No request was too much and always rendered with a smile.The pool has sea water and is very cold but they have a policy of not allowing guests to hog sunbeds by putting out towels and then disappearing to come back later. This is great idea as one can always find a space .

A private beach was available but unless one was down there before 8 or 9 in the morning then all sunbeds had been taken as it was shared with another hotel and was also aboutm150 m away. This was no problem as we just stepped over the road ( not too busy) and walked straightnonto the public beach which always had plenty and was well kept. Also very close to good restaurants and cafes. Do not listen to one reviewer who likens the place to Blackpool - Portoroz is nothing like that resort as it is much smaller and far more refined. The restaurants also serve very high standard of meals and we never had to book a table and dined most nights overlooking the beach watching the sunset.. The older and possible more picturesque port of Piran a few minutes by bus away has arguably even better restaurants but they were often very full and had to be booked in advance.

Portoroz itself has plenty to do in the vicinity without having to rent a car. The salt pans and nature park is only a very pleasant cycle ride or walk away.There are watersports available and even trips to Venice which we took advantage of. Piran has some very interesting historical buildings to wonder araound and a decent Aquarium near the town square. Both Portoroz and Piran were quite lively in the evening with plenty of free entertainment. The only downside with the beach in Portoroz is that it is separated from the sea by a strip of concrete walkway , the sand is quite rough and the sea has a lot of weed in the shallow area. There are long pontoons which take you further out beyond the weed but there are no rocks.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms overlooking the sea although they can be noisy during the weekend as they overlook the entertainment area in Portoroz
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Seh10_13
Reviewed September 3, 2013

All I can say is, beautiful hotel. I loved everything about this hotel. Our room was clean, service was excellent, as well as breakfast. We have booked with Kempinski again, this time in Croatia. Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anita K
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My friend and I went for a coffee and later on we took some long drinks. Bar above pool has a nice view, and we had excellent brainstorm on our new novel. We spent there some hours, and it was a pitty we had to leave as that particular table was reserved for a dinner. Service is good, drinks too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have seen the complains in some of the previous reviews about the long waiting times and the hotel is being overcrowded. At the end of august I experienced none of these. We always had a table to eat at, and a poolside sunbed to lying on.

The hotel is fantastic, nearly perfect on a measure where perfection exists only in theory. And believe me it is not easy to impress me. I could try to describe with a dozen words how helpful and friendly the staff was but again perfect is the most suitable word. They easily and instantly solved every problem/request we had... if we had.

We got our room in the modern part. It was spacious even with an extra bed for our little son. The furniture is well-designed and luxurious... we had a nice balcony as well. We loved the bathroom especially when we had to gone there during the first overnight and realized that the marble floor is heated to be nice and warm for your barefoot. Wow! They check and clean the room multiply times a day so it was absolutely spotless.

The wellness unit of the hotel is very nice. I have spent an hour or more there every single day. The pools are filled with sea water (salty). The hotel has no direct beach connection you need to cross a road and the promenade to reach the sea. We haven't tried the dedicated Kempinski beach (extra 20EUR per person per day) because there were lots of free spots on the public beaches. It you need the sunbed and the sunshade on the beach you can still rent it everywhere for 5-10EURs.

It is not easy to find any shortcoming in this hotel. If I try hard I can enumerate only two:
- while I got my breakfast the tables should have been cleaned by my used plates more frequently
- the extra bed is very confortable but it was a little bit creaky

Room Tip: I haven't seen the rooms in the classic part but I think all the rooms in the modern part have a private balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013

It was the first time to be at Kempinski Portoroz hotel, when we arrived we had a warm welcome by receptionist.The service is excellent, the superior room (we stayed at 401 - park side) is spacious and comfortable and well decorated. The bad is very comfortable (not too soft and not too hard). The bathroom is really magnificant. The pool is small, but anyway it's nice and u can find a good space to lay down. The breakfast - u have a lot of choice of warm and cold food. The crystall hall is really nice, but it's more nice to seat outside on the terras.

Room Tip: Park side rooms are the same quality as sea side, but with small balconies.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends