“5 star experience, but no direct beach access”

Kempinski Palace Portoroz
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Portoroz
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent 3 nights in the hotel mid July. We experienced great service and an excellent room, nevertheless bathroom is at the smaller end. Pool area is also nice, but relatively small - compared to the size of the hotel. The only con is the lack of direct beach access and the lack of a kempinski beach section. There is a joint beach section for all of the five star hotels, but you have to pay an extra eur 15 pp. Since the sea is not nice in portoroz, we stayed most of the time at the pool area. Breakfast is great and you can enjoy it until 12!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kempinski Palace Portoroz

Reviewed July 17, 2013

very classy place, nice professional staff, big rooms , nice big terrace to have your breakfast with excellent variety and high quality of foods.
may be 2 bad points to mention, the pool is too small comparing to the very big number of rooms the hotel has , but you can still manage to find sunbeds, but the hotel has no beach.
there were no tea/coffee maker in the room ( while in such hotels it must be part of the room amenities, some of them have nespresso machine in each room ) and when i asked for a kettle they said no for security reasons , I an still curious to know what do they mean by security reasons and explain it to me and to the thousands of hotels who are offering the tea/coffee maker in room.....

Room Tip: ask for a room in the old palace and not the modern wing , which is an old hotel just next to the pa...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We have been here on our honeymoon, and we had great Services!
The concierge was very helpful, they recommended us very good restauants;
At the breakfast we could eat tasteful cheeses and Italian bacons.
The view is wonderful

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We had 4 rooms and it's our second visit and the last one!
We travel a lot and often to kempinski around the world , and never found something like this..
There it's so much to say, I'm not gonna make a story about this , I'll just put the goods and bads .
Goods
Consierge and choffeour , attentive and willing to help.
The Sophia restaurant , nice stuff very nice foods , too limited selection
The breakfast personnel .
Bads
I call reception for Cleanning my room because they forgot and they answered me ,at 10 pm that this it's how they do it in this hotel! Her tone of voice was categoric and not at all friendly! Next time I called she answered with "now what"... I couldn't believe it!!
At the pool you can dehydrate because u cannot get a drink until u go to the lifeguard to ask him to get u a waiter for the pool bar ironically opened but without bartender , and if you are lucky he may find somebody from the restaurant willing to come.. I wasn't lucky every day so I had to go to back up solutions in the street to buy myself a bottle of water.
Once I ordered a penne Bolognese at the pool bar, for my child and a upset waiter came with the penne, I asked her some parmigiano and she told me that they don't have! And it was hard enough to get the penne from the room service, I insisted that maybe room service may have some parmigiano and she looked at me even more annoyed , finally agreeing to ask them!! Pointless to say that when the little one was full we've got some parmigiano ...
In the rooms they don't give water for turn down service, anyway this service doesn't always happen..
I had to wake up at 7 every morning to get a bed at the pool but this it's not entirely their fault..
In the first day the pool water was ice cold, I asked the pool person what happen and he told me that some mechanic part it's currently broken, I've asked him how long will that take to fix it he was just hopefully that during our staying!
I was very surprised to see the restaurant above the pool , opened for lunch, dirty with the tables full of dust, not set for lunch at all, at first I've got the impression that they are closed! Ofcourse always empty !
We had few lunches there, the service was good, ( maybe brcause we were the only table)but the chef it's not the best!
We ordered one hamburger for the kid, they burned it out on one side and after covering that part with sauce they served it like that! I couldn't cut it ! How can the chef release a plate like that in a 5 star hotel restaurant .. I don't know!
Do not do dry Cleanning , laundry.
I did, and aprouved them to try to clean 3 little stains they told me they found!! I didn't even know about them wire the trousers for for second time,nor about the consequence of my approval !
The trousers came back with big stains of clour on both legs, when I complained I've been humiliated by the girl in charge , in the lobby with people looking at us while she was explaining to me that it's my fault, they asked me in advance , she was holding up the trousers and speaking loud until I just couldn't listen to the circus anymore and I gave up...
There are more like this but I'll stop here just for you to have an idea of what can happen in this hotel 100% full!!

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank carmen274887
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed with my wife and our two friends to celebrate a birthday. From the moment we walked into the hotel until we left, the staff made sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our stay. The hotel restaurant is top notch, the staff is knowledgable about the food and wine, and the kitchen prepared the food perfectly. The entire weekend stay was not cheap, but we would spend every penny again for such a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ronaldo M
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were drawn to the beautiful Adriatic in this area and this hotel did not disappoint. It is everything it promises to be as a Kempinksi. Friendly, accommodating service (especially friendly when you consider the overall "service" in Slovenia), modern bathrooms, very comfortable beds, and an awesome buffet breakfast as others have commented on. Parking fee includes unlimited valet parking. If you are relying on your mobile device to get you there, don't follow the English directions in google maps - the second one in Slovenian is correct. (We have put in a correction request to Google so this may be rectified). Our interconnecting rooms were in the new section (nice and new) and had a partial sea view from a nice balcony. We enjoyed exploring Piran more than Portoroz (which is a very touristy beach town).

Room Tip: Rooms are newer, more modern and larger in the new section (but do not have full sea views although...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a wonderful and rare opportunity to stay in such a magnificiant historical place. Staff was ok, rooms were nice. Food was generally good. The hk stuff did not speak english at all or very poor. The main hotel seemed better, but not 5 star. Would not go again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank marzio b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portoroz
Grand Hotel Portoroz
Grand Hotel Bernardin
#6 of 24 in Portoroz
Hotel Riviera - LifeClass Hotels & Spa
Kempinski Hotel Adriatic Istria Croatia

Been to Kempinski Palace Portoroz? Share your experiences!