“Great hotel, let down by unethical staff”

Kempinski Palace Portoroz
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Portoroz
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, let down by unethical staff”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is wonderful five star hotel overlooking the bay - pity the staff cannot be trusted.

Room price was very reasonable - 130 euros for a double room with breakfast was good I thought. The breakfast had a good range of continental choices like cold meats, cheese and a variety of breads. For the Anglo Americans there was the usual scrambled eggs, toast, bacon and sausages. One could also have an omlette made to order - nice touch. There was also a good selection of international newspapers to choose from.

The bathroom and bedroom were amazing - see attached photos.

They have a valet service to park the car (car parking fees of 18 euros a night) but I was disappointed that the valet who parked my car stole the loose change I had left in the vehicle. I did not find out till I reached for the change at the toll booth only to find I had been cleaned out. I did call the hotel and complain to the manager but I doubt anthing will come of it. Luckily my mp3 player and sun glasses were not swiped from the car as well!

Room Tip: Watch out for the light fingered staff
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ranjit D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Kempinski Palace seemed to be the nicest hotel in Portoroz. The setting is gorgeous (although not where you want to go if you are looking for sandy beaches). There were some spots where they had brought sand in, but where the land meets water, it's like a cement boardwalk that goes right into water that is often like a foot or two deep. The hotel is very conveniently located, and there is a great car rental place across the road. Driving is easy in Slovenia, and car rentals are inexpensive.

The rooms were really nice, although we ended up in the newer section of the hotel, which didn't seem like it was as nice as the older section, so it might be good to ask for a room in the old part of the hotel. The breakfasts were really delicious, and the staff is very courteous. In general, the people we encountered in Slovenia seemed to generally want you to have a great stay in their country. It's a great spot to go because everything is so close! Slovenia has amazing things to see, all within a short drive. At the end of our stay, we took a 2 hour train ride to Venice and stayed there for a few nights, as well.

The Spa at the hotel was pretty expensive, but there was a far less expensive one right next door, so I would suggest that one. The bed was really comfortable, the balcony was nice and spacious.

Of the things we saw and did in Slovenia, I would say that the must sees are as follows:

Lake Bled
The caves (we went to two, which were completely different from eachother, and each was amazing!)
Lipizzaner stallions
Croatian town of Motovun
Ljubliana

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MargaretBarber
Cork
Reviewed September 24, 2012

On the shores of the Adriatic, it is a beautiful hotel with excellent rooms and great service.

We stayed in early June before the main season the price was very reasonable but it becomes very expensive later in the summer.

The town is a small seaside resort with not much to do but there is quite a bit nearby in Piran and further afield if you are driving (don't forget to get a motorway vignette before you start driving as they watch out for tourists).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here 14th - 16th September 2012. Very impressive building - inside and out. On arrival my only disappointment was that we did not have a sea view, and after enquiring at reception were told that there were no spare rooms at the front.

Our bedroom was in the old part of the hotel, very classic decorations. Large room, with a very large and comfy bed, pillows were very comfy too. Bathroom very nice and clean and lots of nice touches like a weighing scale (not that I used it!!!), bath took a little while to fill-up. I was a bit surprised that there was not a tea/coffee making facilities, only a complimentary small bottle of water. Nice large, soft and thick towels.

Enjoyed our breakfast on the terrace - although I do like buffet breakfast, it is sometimes nice to be waited on. The breakfast room with the chandeliers and white furnishings are really beautiful.

We had evening dinner with our company colleagues, the service was impeccable - hardly noticed the waiters and my wine glass never seemed to empty! Did not really like the fish soup - a piece of fish floating still with its skin intact was quite off-putting!

All-in-all a lovely stay at the Palace hotel - would certainly think about returning again one day!

Room Tip: Try and book a room with a sea view on a high level - then you can see the sea over the shops which...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank magicalstay
Cardiff, UK
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Kempinski Palace for 4 nights at the start of our honeymoon in August and had such a wonderful stay there. The staff was so amenable and friendly and nothing was too much for them. When our hire car gave up the ghost and the company responsible refused to do anything about it, it was the concierge who kept on ringing for hours to try to sort the situation out, and that was after we'd checked out. We had a deluxe room with a sea view in the old part of the hotel, which was well worth the extra. The room was huge, with a gorgeous bathroom with a jacuzzi bath and his 'n' hers sinks. The bed was longer and wider than my 6' husband! The view was sensational, so we decided to treat ourselves to breakfast on our balcony one morning, which was exquisite. Silver service and set out beautifully.

They must have realised also that it was my birthday, and I returned to find Sekt on ice in our room, which was a lovely surprise. The breakfast room was very grand and the terrace where people mostly ate was just lovely. I have never had such a variety of foods for breakfast. There was truly something for every palate, and all incredibly fresh and appetising. The only thing that wasn't 5* was the guests themselves! Probably the most stuck up miserable looking guests I have ever seen, but that's probably because they were used to the 5* luxury and not impressed by all the things that wowed us mere mortals. They didn't spoil it though!

It was just whaty we wanted to kick start our honeymoon; a touch of luxury married perfeclty with the elegance of days gone by.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel this summer. Hotel is just perfect. Great spa with very good cosmetic nice swimming pool. The room could be a bit better but we stayed in old part and had balcony so I think it is depend in which building you are staying. The have very nice breakfast room. Staff are working fast. I enjoyed my few day in this hotel and definitely would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I think new building is a bit better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathy Z
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I just returned from an absolutely amazing week at the Kempinski Palace. I have stayed at several luxury hotels and this hotel is truly one of the best.
Rooms:The rooms are large and beautiful, both the traditional side and the modern side. The rooms are very different but offer the same amenities. The bathrooms are large and beautiful. Each room has both a shower and bathtub. The modern side rooms look like the W hotel in the United States. Each room has a balcony. One thing to note is that the hotels in Portoroz don't have irons in the rooms. The Kempinski has their own service and does a great job cleaning/ironing.
Pool:The pool is fabulous, it's a mix of las vegas modern and fun with Ritz Carlton luxury. Food and drinks at the pool were great and they even have pool movie nights, which seemed like a lot of fun. Nejc was great at the pool and treated all of us very well.
Food: The breakfast buffet is included in the price of the room but I would have paid extra, it was so amazing. They had an omelet/egg station, the most delicious granola, cold cuts, cheese, and lots of bakery items. It was fabulous! You can sit outside on the terrace and enjoy coffee and breakfast. The dinners were fantastic as well, fresh fish, pasta, soups....all were great.
Service: The service was the best I have experienced. It was at the level of the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton, maybe better. Each staff member was courteous, helpful and made you feel special. Luca at the front desk was great. Thomas and Aleks were wonderful! They both went above and beyond to make our stay so fabulous.
Internet: There is free wireless internet throughout the entire hotel. Amazing!
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Slovenia. It is the epitome of european luxury and class. I can't wait to go back! One more thank you to Aleks, who made every request we had possible.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the Adriatic are spectacular.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends