“Good value, very welcoming host”
Review of Max Piran

Max Piran
Ranked #4 of 9 Piran B&B and Inns
Hampshire
“Good value, very welcoming host”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in June. It's in the old part of town and it is an old building thus rooms aren't massive although they are clean and the beds are comfy. It's in a great location 2 minutes to the 'beach' and the town. There is no traffic so you have to park about 1/4 mile away in a garage but it is possible to stop near the hotel to drop your bags off. Max was an excellent, enthusiastic host who was very helpful (even provided mats/towels for the beach). Breakfast was good. Altogether a good value hotel which I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bearsearch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hungarian first
Tradewind
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Max asked us to reconfirm two weeks ahead, we did, and from start to finish he held up his end of the bargain. A personable and gracious host.

He was there when we arrived, and helped us with our bags to the taxi he'd arranged when we left.

When arriving by car make sure not to go into the town by the waterfront control gate, but go up the back on a dead end street that leads you at the end to within a few feet of Max's place. A little complicated so determine route.

The room was clean and comfortable with a comfortable bed, TV and WiFi, the bathroom quite functional. Accommodation is handy to everything in Piran and within walking distance to Portoroz along the waterfront. Easy to come back for an afternoon nap if wanted, or a swim at a nearby pier thereby avoiding those pesky rocky beaches. We were treated to an enjoyable concert from St. George's one evening.

Breakfast between 8 and 11 is good and substantial, and Max makes great coffee with his machine.

Great value for money in our opinion. Thanks Max.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Small six room hotel near St. George church above the main square in Piran. Friendly welcome. Small but comfortable rooms near major sights. Simple but pleasant breakfast. Highly recommended for reasonably-priced accommodation in Piran, a delightful, quiet town on the Slovenian coast. No elevator so if you fins stairs difficult ask for room on the first floor.
Hotel can be difficult to find - park at the parking lot on the road down into Piran, take the free bus to the main square (Tartini trg)' take the alleyway to the left of the pink Venetian house, turn right and walk up the hill towards St. George's church - hotel is opposite the steps up to the church.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a booking and were turned away at the door because this hotel does not permit same sex couples. We had booked a double room for two nights, one week in advance. "Max" confirmed the room by return email. When we arrived yesterday (3 September 2012) we stood outside the house ringing the doorbell repeatedly. Finally an older man with shaved head appeared in the street carrying a pain of glass, saying that there was no room because he had to repair a window. We explained that we had a reservation. He said he had no room. We repeated that we had a confirmed reservation and the hotel has more than one room. He promptly ended the conversation by saying that he does not rent to two men, and because we had booked the room by email they did not realize we are two men. Needless to say, we left when he shut the door in my face.
We found a room at the Hotel Tartini for only 30 euros per night more. It is very comfortable and the staff are great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
22 Thank KCW65
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This accommodation lived up to its reviews. We were given a warm welcome by Max's sister as Max was not around. We met him the following morning and he did everything possible to make us feel welcome. Lovely. fresh continental breakfast every morning. Hotel is 5 mins up a hill and rooms are over 3 floors so you need to be reasonably fit but it is a lovely, quaint place to stay. I loved my view from my window, felt I was living in the 'real Slovenia' and not in a faceless hotel.
Max gave us good advice on local restaurants and was friendly in general.

Room Tip: I am not sure where other rooms faced by ours faced to the front and I loved my view. Rooms to the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Madaboutravel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The previous two ratings that rated Max Piran as very good have given a fairly accurate review. I've given it an average rating because for not much extra cost when I stayed at Bled (Hotel Jelovica), I felt there was better value in the quality of the rooms and the breakfast (and I gave Hotel Jelovica a poor review for breakfast!!). Hotel Max is what my title says, "quaint, cozy and basic". Max was not there though his sister was and she was excellent (despite having basic knowledge of the area). I agree with a previous criticism about the bed linen and covers, very poor and shabby. That is definitely an area they could improve on. I've grown up in the accommodation industry and my parents still own and run a business and they're constantly reinvesting in the quality of the units. Also, it's a bit of a hassle to get to as you have to park outside the city and driving to the hotel (to drop off the bags) is a challenge with the narrow street leading to the hotel. I'd stay here again as I'm not sure the other options provide much more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Let me start by stating the I was somewhat concerned about Max from the outset but my curiosity about Max and the clock got the better of me and my wife so we booked 2 nights at Max's. What we found was a gracious, helpful and friendly host and a clock tower that is grossly exaggerated - at least while we were there. The clock is stopped at 10 pm and resumes at 6:15 am. This is a working village and people rely on the tower. If you read tripadvisor and don't like it book somewhere else. We were not bothered by this at all but more by drunk tourist staggering past up the hill at all hours of the morning and Max has double glazing on the windows which pretty much takes care of that. Max also provides free wireless. The breakfast pretty good with a selection of fresh bread and cold cuts, cheeses and very good coffee plus juices. Max even gave us % Euro back for early checkout because we wouldn't be around for breakfast. How many people would do that? Max also cleaned and made our room while we were there. Highly recommended. Only gripe - Bedding could use a little improvement.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piran
Hotel Piran
#3 of 4 in Piran
Barbara Piran Beach Hotel & Spa
Kempinski Palace Portoroz
PachaMama Pleasant Stay

Been to Max Piran? Share your experiences!