“Great stay!”

and 1 more site!
Val Hostel
Ranked #14 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Piran
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Very friendly host when we arrived.
Small but nice room with double bed, closet, desk, chair and sink. Toilet and two showers were shared. Small kitchen with very litte equipment, like one glass, two plates ... Very uncosy space!
Breakfast was amazing! Very, very good!
Beach is a 30 seconds walk. Bars and restaurants also.
Not so much to do in Piran, but we were only there for less than two days.
Parking outside the city and quite expensive!
Sleeping was difficult because of the heath, the thunderstorm and the noise on the street.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Val Hostel

Reviewed September 10, 2010

There are several hostels to choose from in Piran, but I'm glad we went for Val. The name doesn't sound particularly inspiring but this place had everything we wanted - and more.

The location is excellent, just a few steps from the restaurants, bars and beach, and in a town with so many winding, cobbled streets, it was handy to be staying somewhere that was so well signposted and easy to find.

The interior was more like that of a hotel and although the rooms were basic, they were comfortable. I didn't go much on the shared bathrooms (the doors didn't lock so they weren't very private) but they were fine for a couple of days - and impeccably clean. The hostel staff were also very friendly and the breakfast in the morning was great.

One word of warning though - the hostel doesn't take cards so you'll have to pay in cash and there's also no lift, so beware of the stairs. Piran also wakes up early so expect to do the same!

Aside from that, Val was an excellent budget choice and I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Although the Hotel Val is nothing special, the location and price can't be beat. It is less than a 30 second walk to the water's edge and a promenade of several charming cafes and restaurants. The simple room with a queen bed and sink (in room) cost us about US$75/night. The restrooms were down the hall were very clean. The breakfast was a great spread of bread, meats, cheeses, cereal, yogurt, etc. I would stay here again, just for the convenience and competitive price. (Much better to stay in charming Piran rather than overdeveloped Portoroz).

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We stayed here for 1 night on a foray to the coast from Ljubljana. Hostel Val is very basic, we had a double room with bunk beds, which was pleasant enough. albeit a bit stuffy. There is a computer, but people were always using it, in the lobby. Shared bathrooms were large and usually unoccupied, and were kept pretty clean. Staff didn't speak very much English and had little tolerance for the subtleties of trying to communicate through and navigate around a language barrier - I think making them seem more brusque than perhaps they would have otherwise seemed. They weren't great on confirming my stay before I went - at first didn't get back to me, then got confused and said there was no room for us, then said oh wait, nevermind kind of thing...made me a bit apprehensive --but when we got there, our room was waiting. It's a little tricky to find, (the town is full of narrow, twisty lanes) but they compensate for that pretty well with lots of little signs, and it's not a far walk from the bus station - which is basically a loop of road next to the water and not a station at all- surely the most beautiful place you'll ever sit and wait for a bus. From what I hear, Hostel Val is the only decent lodging in Piran (there are no other budget places in town, even supposed nicer places have been reputed to be not well kept/dirty), and Piran is the only authentic, cute, pleasant little town - certainly on the small Slovenian coast, but I think even including the area over the Italian border, and all of Istria, Croatia, Piran is the best bet - not seedy at all, clean, genuine, friendly...probably the best bet all the way down to the Croatian islands or Split and points south...Piran is very small and sweet, with good seafood and italian food at reasonable prices. Although the concrete "beach" isn't much, cheap plastic rafts were well worth the price for an afternoon spent bobbing in the calm, sparkling Adriatic waters just off the rocky shore. Swimming here is very pleasant, and there's a wonderful walking/hiking path along the coast. Be sure to go up to the highest point - the old castle wall, and look down over the buildings at sunset for a picture perfect view. And I must admit - I LOVE Slovenia, it's still relatively uncrowded and undiscovered (at least by Americans) and relatively unexpensive (go while this is all still true). It's clean, safe, proud, organized, gorgeous, easy to navigate...a traveler's dream!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LillyDeViaje
Reviewed July 12, 2007

When I booked a private double room, I didn't really expect a room with 2 bunk beds. We asked if anyone else was going to join us, thankfully not, but I can't say I particularly wanted to sleep in a bunk bed! Apart from that, the room was ok, with a sink, soap & towels provided. Bathrooms were shared, with one toilet and 2 showers for each sex. There was a computer downstairs with free internet access, which was nice, and a bit of a lounge area with a tv. There is also a kitchen you can use.
All the facilities are there, and it's clean, but rather dated & I didn't think it was great value at 25 euros each per night. There was no fan provided in the room, unlike most other hosteIs we stayed at, which wasn't great for summer. I think prices are pretty high in Piran, if this hostel was elsewhere it would have to be a bit cheaper.
It is well located though, & breakfast was fine, and I think it's one of few 'budget' options in Piran. It is really just a youth hostel though.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 17, 2006

This was our saviour after an awful experience with another hostel in Piran. Really enjoyed our stay here - nice and clean and well run. It's called a youth hostel but it's not really, although most rooms I think are twin bedded or triples. It's family-managed but is not overly friendly (which in my book is a positive point).

Good breakfast is included in the price and the location is excellent - a few metres from the sea down one of Piran's narrow streets. Free internet. Book on their website or just call them.

4  Thank mail2pete
Reviewed May 30, 2006

My Boyfriend and I stayed here around the end of August 2005

Its on the pricier end of things as hostels go but it is excellent value for money!
The breakfast was brilliant: lots of lovely fresh fruit, cheeses, yoghurts, loads of cereal, bread, CHOCOLATE spread!! =)
Rooms are fine, bunkbeds but we got a room to ourselves.
The shared bathrooms are kept really well; the hostel felt really safe, good security, really good location.
There is a small kitchen, and laundry room. And a water cooler! Great for when you come back from a days exploring. The free internet was really handy too.

And Piran was beautiful, quite small though so you can see everything in one or two days.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank clarefoley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piran
Hotel Piran
Vila Piranesi
Vila Piranesi
#1 of 31 in Piran
PachaMama Pleasant Stay

Been to Val Hostel? Share your experiences!