“Consistently great food”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Cafe, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have eaten in As on several occasions, both lunch and dinner, both on casual and business occasions. The restaurant has never failed to provide good food and equally good service.

As is located on a small pedestrian street, just 5 min walk from the main square and a few steps sideways from the Slovenska cesta. It has two distinct dining parts: the first is more casual, with large floor-to-ceiling windows and modern decor of wooden tables and bar, the other is classic, with clothed round tables and dark wood wall panels. The casual part offers a good European fare, with good selection of pasta, salads and a variety of mains. They offer a wide selection of lunch sets for EUR 12 - and it's a great deal, given the quality of food there. The more formal part specialises in fish.

I had the opportunity to enjoy fish dinner in As twice, and I can highly recommend it. The fish and seafood is mostly from Adriatic, and super fresh. The tuna tartar was one of the best I had, pasta with shrimps was lovely, and fish, baked whole in salt, was simply spectacular. Even simple salad in As was delicious, with fantastic delicate and balanced dressing. They have a great selection of local wines - as my colleagues summarised "disturbingly good wines".

If you are in Ljubljana and looking for a great meal - that's a place to go.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We went to this place based on independent recommendations by one of our party who'd been there before and a local 'friend of a friend' and were certainly very happy with our choice. The main formal restaurant area is smart and classically chic without being stuffy; there's a more relaxed bar area next door which extends outside. The staff (as pretty well everywhere in Ljubljana) were friendly and attentive and spoke excellent English.

We allowed ourselves to be persuaded into following the head waiter's recommendations for a set meal and accompanying wines; this has sometimes proved somewhat of a distastrous rip-off previously but on this occasion it was a triumph. After a free starter of vegetables and stunningly good pata negra ham we were given the choice of a fish or meat menu. I had the fish which consisted of a tuna tartare, lobster pasta and sea bass baked in salt. I can honestly say that every single mouthful of every dish was delicious - the meat eaters got a rib-eye steak with meaty versions of the other courses and were equally complimentary. The local wines, both red and white, were also terrific; I have no idea what they were but they went perfectly with the food.

This was by far the most expensive meal we had in Ljublana at around 70 euros a head and it would have been easy to spend a lot more if we'd stayed for dessert and digestifs but it was money very well spent. In fact I'd go as far as to say that in terms of the overall quality of food and drink it would rate in my top three restaurants to date during our European travels.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

AS Restaurant is one of the best restaurant in the town. It is located in a hidden court. It is in the center at Preseren Square. I want there 2 times. There is 2 alternative area to have your dinner or lunch. One part is fine dining restaurant. It is decorated classic style and the foods are mostly local and very delicious. The other area is half bar and half restaurant. You can have cold appetizer and European cuisine. On Friday and Saturday you should make a reservation in advanced and it is very trendy. There is also DJ on Friday and Saturday nights.
If you want to have fine dining dinner with DJ music, you can also order your meal from fine dining part. All foods are amazing. You can get help to chose local wine with restaurant staff.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Loved the place from the moment we came in...service absolutely great, and the food....not to mention. For the first time in my life I have tried the Kobe beef, on the reccomendation of the owner, and did not regret.
Yes, it was pricey...but to be honest, it was one of the best meals in my life.
It was my first time in Ljubljana, but I will come back!

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Hidden from the main street crowd in the wonderful garden, this restaurant offers the best italian food can offer.