“The BREAKFAST!”
Review of Grand Hotel Union

Grand Hotel Union
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Ljubljana
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband is staying in this hotel regularly during his business trips and is talking about it in superlatives, so it was the first choice for our private trip in Ljubljana. But, I couldn´t be more disappointed. We got room 827, which was on the smoking floor. You couldn´t smell the smoke in the hall, but you could smell it in the room when entering.
If you are staying 100x in non smoking room, why do they give you on 101st time smoking one?
The room was quite nice, but it was definitelly not the kind of "wow" rooms. It was more like "ok, so the carpet matches with curtains" room. The window was dirty with hand prints, there were also stains on the mirror. But we came to Ljubljana to enjoy the city not to watch window, so I didn´t make a big deal from it and told at the reception only when checking-out.

Bathroom was very small, so you could sit on the toilet and brush your teeth in front of the mirror at the same time. The shower cable was leaking and on the bathroom door I also find some finger prints.

Fortunatelly, my husband has a small discount in this hotel, so we payd little less, but still. The standard doesn´t match the price at all. If I was guest paying the full price I would be mad with all those faults I found in the room.

There was also only one blanket on the bed, but the second one was brought to our room without problems.
Not to only criticize, I have to mention the breakfat which was superb, the coffee was delicious and the breakfast exeperience let me forget my dissappointing from the room.
Hotel is just at the centre of Ljubljana, so you have everything max. 10-15 minutes from the hotel. The parking is very expensive(cca 17 Euro/day), but we had a parking at friends, so this didn´t bother me.

I would probably go to tis hotel again (for the breakfast), but I would make sure to get better room, which they must have - at least according to the reviews here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stella A

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Grand Union Executive hotel wonderful experience. We loved the spacious airy, modern and well decorated and comfortable room in the center of old town Ljubljana. The breakfast was superb in a large dining room with a large variety of healthy tasty hot and cold foods . The staff were friendly, helpful and spoke English well.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor facing the street and above the doors. It was quiet, bright, large an...
1  Thank aidam8
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Grand Union is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in when we consider the 40 countries we have visited. The staff is amazing, especially the manager Luka who was so welcoming and created a great experience for my family and I. The breakfast had so many choices and the food was great. Very few hotels offer the variety of the Grand Union. We stayed in the suite which was an amazing choice. The room was very spacious and the AC worked really well. The indoor popl is the best we have seen and it was not crowded so we enjoyed swimming . Ljublhjana is a charming city and we plan on going back.

If you plan on visiting Ljubljana or want a good base to visit Slovenia you should definitely stay at the Grand Union. It is the ultimate hotel for location, service, rooms and dining.

Room Tip: Get the suite. Although it costs more the room is unbelievable. Many heads of state, choose the hot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RenandIssey
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The reason for my writing this letter is to inform you about a very positive experience after having stayed at Grand Hotel Union Executive in Ljubljana.
In the afternoon of Friday the 16th of August 2013 my wife and I called the reception and I reported that we had left behind us € 1.000 hidden inside a brochure on the table of room 451.
After three hours we received a call from one of the employees who told us that he had found our money after a very thorough and laborious search.
WE were very happy, we thanked him and a few days later the amount was put into our bank account.
We would like to thank all the staff for their cooperation and integrity.
Gastone & Cristina

1  Thank Gastone P
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was expecting something a little grander, given the beautiful picture of the grand hotel, but in reality this is like 3 hotels in one. There is the original with original rooms, the executive with very business like rooms and then the business. We stayed in the executive wing. We had a room on a high floor with a great view. The room was smaller but very efficient. We also had a balcony. My favorite thing was the super air conditioning. It was a heat wave when we were there so it was a huge relief to have it. The breakfast was very good and included in the price. I was just confused the whole time we stayed there - 5 nights - about how come the lobby was so drab when clearly this is an amazing building.
We got a great price on our room and it was so close to everything. I would definitely recommend, just don't expect anything grand.

Room Tip: higher floors have great views
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel has fascinating architecture and reminds visitors of the Grand days past. The staff are very friendly and all speak good English. Well appointed rooms and ideally located for exploring the old city

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian1204
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've been a couple of weeks ago with some friends for a city break and we've stayed here for two nights. The place is nice and clean, with a good positioning. The staff is friendly and helpful. Room had a decent size but the double bed was quite small. Bathroom was small also, but clean with good quality products available. The pool doesn't look as the one in the pictures - a lot smaller than what is being advertised and is not easy to access it - you have to with the elevator and on different corridors to reach it. Breakfast was good and fresh. Not so rich in variety and options, but quite good. The breakfast area has access to a terrace which is wonderful especially during sunny days.
Parking it is something that should be managed better - they are allowing more cars than available parking places.

Room Tip: Higher floors for the view
1  Thank Davidsson29