“when just enough is just not enough (this review is not about the food, but the place)”
Review of Tokyo Piknik

Tokyo Piknik
Ranked #109 of 751 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Tokyo Picnic was one of the more innovative gourmet interventions in Ljubljana city centre, offering a refreshing selection of burgers and noodles, as well as entrées.

When I visited after some time a couple of weeks ago, it was, to put it mildly, a disaster. Not the food, or the beer. But the staff.

It seems the owners have recently decided they need to find a way how to underpay their staff.

And it seems they have decided to employ (if the staff is actually legally employed) people from southeastern Europe, whom are likely to take any job they can get, after they arrive to Ljubljana.

The staff is painfully under-trained, the waiter came 3-times in 5-minutes, asking what we want to order, and each time we politely asked for a couple of more minutes.

Moreover, the staff is disinterested and visibly worn out.

I cannot find another explanation other than the management deliberatly strived to bring their staff to reactualize the once famous Yugoslav proverb: "they cannot pay me as little as little work I can do".

This is truly appalling and insulting for me as a guest.

I like to be served properly, and I also like to see that the staff is well-paid and enjoying their often extremely demanding work.

I must reiterate, this is in no way to criticize the staff: if they were properly paid and properly trained, this would not have happened.

This is a criticism of the management/owners who have clearly been left with little awareness of what makes a great restaurant alive in the long run.

If you lose site of what contribution to your success your staff is, you should consider other business (although I doubt such approach has any lasting chance anywhere).

Truly, truly disappointing.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (334)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

They have the best cakes with awesome ingredients and full taste. There is a yearly cake competition and they are selling the winners of each year, I like “Marie” the winner from 2015. I don’t think I ever tasted better cake and I always come back to buy it again. You need to try it!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited Tokyo Piknik for lunch because we were craving for soupy Asian food and they were the closest to where we were so we decided to give it a try.

One thing to note, as the restaurant is located in a prime spot facing the river, the place is constantly busy. We had trouble getting the staff's attention to give us a seat and paying after our meal, so be ready to not have top notch service here.

The ramen were not bad, of course not as good as the ones from Asia, but they were good enough. Soup was hot and flavourful, though was a little salty for my liking. Noodles was springy so that was good and they also have a wide selection of Japanese alcohol.

Won't call it the best Japanese food in Europe, but it's manageable.

Date of visit: December 2019
48  Thank dori_lukey
Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

Had a very good family lunch, noodles with chiken and noodles with shrimps were just perfect. Also the service was fast.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed October 22, 2019 via mobile

Had a little ramen as we'd recently returned from Japan, knew it wasn't going to be the same and it wasn't, but it would be unrealistic to think it would be. However it was one of the best ramens outside of Japan that I've had. It's a lovely place with nice staff and a delicious french dessert counter. Couldn't really fault it.

Date of visit: October 2019