“Spontaneous meal turned out to be great”
Review of Vander Restaurant

Vander Restaurant
Ranked #84 of 592 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Fusion, Slovenian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Castleisland, Ireland
“Spontaneous meal turned out to be great”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had a great meal with great service at Vander. Slovenian food with a twist and we loved it. Not right on the river and you wouldn't eat here every night. 3 courses with good wine cost 100 euros but worth it. Best pavlova I've had for years could have eaten it again. Had Slovenian dumplings with cheese which were really nice. Its very stylish and very cool I guess. Might also be a good placebo stays I believe it as a pool. If we came back to Ljublijana we would definitely eat if not stay here

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Legolander706

New orleans
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great atmosphere to go with great food”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great food. A mix of traditional Slovenian dishes and more familiar entrees.

It is a very cozy restaurant, just halfway below street level. A great wine list, great lighting and comfortable seating make this a place you want to linger in -- which several groups were doing after their meal. . The were several families here as well.

We enjoyed the lamb, steak and some great Slovenian wine.

Visited May 2013
shanghai
“excellent food in a beautifully designed setting”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

It seems this must be a new place as this is apparently the first review, all we can say is it is likely to be a star of restaurants in Ljubljana!
We came to this restaurant by chance, it's central but on a tiny walkway between the river and Stari Trg. It offers Slovenian food 'with a modern twist'. They have a smallish menu, always a good sign I tend to think. We opted to share everything so we tried several things. Firstly I must comment on their olive oil, lovely peppery virgin oil, amongst the best I've had. To start we had the Rabbit Terrine with whole cherry preserve and a warm starter of Asparagus with Morels and a soft egg yolk, no white just the yolk. These were both excellent. We moved on to Roast Suckling Pig with baked apple on a celery puree and also a dish I can't remember the name of but a local one of de-boned oxtail stew served with a large 'ravioli'. Again both excellent, beautifully presented and more importantly fantastic tasting. Despite our being full, greed got the better of us and we had puddings. A lemon tart with a soft meringue round and something I can't remember now but I know I finished the lot!!
Now having said this we booked again for a couple of nights later and chose other things. Again most were really good but one was sent back as the meat was tasteless and tough. I think there may have been an accident in the kitchen as we waited a very long time for our main courses to arrive, more than an hour. However our complaint was dealt with very well, and we in no way would let this spoil our overall review of this restaurant. It's a beautiful setting with excellent food and good service, and in our experience of Ljubljana not expensive as we paid much more for a terrible meal in another restaurant I have also reviewed.
There is a hotel as well, with a roof top swimming pool and a bar. If i'd seen all that before booking we'd have ended up here!

• Visited May 2013