“Rustic food, nice wine, but the waiter couldn't respond helpfully to comments.”
Review of Gujzina

Gujzina
Ranked #105 of 745 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Eastern European, Slovenian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional Slovenian food from Eastern side of Slovenia
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I ate here on the first evening we stayed in Ljubljana on a short holiday during September 2019. We enjoyed the food (although that's quite rustic), but particularly enjoyed the wine (Marof, a red wine from Prekmurje, the most easterly region of Slovenia). One of the dishes we had, though, was sub-par. The turkey fillet (a schnitzel, effectively), was really *dry*, and didn't come with anything that would serve as a sauce and relieve the dryness of the meat. I did try to *tactfully* point this out to the waiter, but was then told that I should have chosen something else from the menu! I have to admit I didn't appreciate that reaction - I was trying to be helpful, and yet got treated as though I was complaining needlessly, and as if it was my fault. That's ultimately why my ratings for the restaurant here are merely average.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (949)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant has the intriguing “The Soul of Pannonia” on its sign, menu, etc. I learned that was a nearby region in the ancient Roman Empire. This place was full but they quickly set up a table for me in a prep area, where all the wine is kept. Otherwise there was no room. Fine
I had a simple starter of sliced tomatoes & thin slices of goat cheese. Served with pumpkin seeds & oil. Tasty. I then ordered the venison. 4 large, tasty, & tender pieces, prepared medium-rare in a sauce. Outstanding, except I could not finish all 4-too much. I usually skip desert, but their special cake, Gibanica, was too good not to try. Layers with apples, walnuts, a mild cheese, strudel-like on top, cake inside. Mmm!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I ate here last week and enjoyed our meal thoroughly. The service was a bit slow, given that the dining room was not that full and is small to begin with--and the outside seats were also only partially filled. Once the food started rolling to the table, though, everything was tasty and comprised good-sized portions. Standouts were the veal medallions, the grilled beef, and the traditional dessert cake.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We are delighted to recommend this restaurant as the service and food was wonderful.I had 3 courses and not one was bad,they were delicious.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We walked into Gujzina without a reservation on a Friday evening and were seated immediately. The server was excellent , professional and helpful. We ordered the large dinner for two, which was fresh, well presented and delicious. Probably more food than we needed, but we managed to eat it all. Even the bread was wonderful and fresh. No frills, just excellent food well served and at a good value for the quantity and quality.