“Good fish restaurant”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good fish restaurant”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Fish restaurant behind the wet fish shop. Lots of locals dining. Good all inclusive lunch menu for 12 euros for 3 courses. Wine 1 euro a glass. Good a la carte. Beautifully cooked fish and very acceptable "open" wine list. Service good and helpful if you don't speak Slovene!! We found this to be the best value restaurant we visited during our 4 day trip. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank 16Martin

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't. Buy a whole fish at the restaurant”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The waiter talked us into buying a whole fish to share for dinner. John Dory fillets (250g)were on the menu at 15 euros. When I asked how big the whole fish was, he said maybe 800gs.

When the bill came, it cost us 70 euros for the fish and we only ended up with about 250g each. So 70 euros for fish for two people, when the same amount as fillets would have been 30 euros. Ripped off.

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne
“Every seafood city has a fried place - this is it”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was searching for the food vans in the market that serve freshly fried or grilled seafood. Enroute I came across Valentin - it had outdoor seating in the market on a sunny day, the store front was a fishmonger with excellent quality local and imported seafood, and there was a restaurant inside.

I had the fried mix for 2 (400g total whitebait, whiting, squid, octopus, hake, sardines) just for myself. The variety appealed to me and 400g isn't overly excessive for a meal.

The whiting was by far the best thing on the plate (the largest fish on it) with incredible fried flavour and crispy outside with soft inside texture. Octopus tentacles were a close second. The rest was good without being outstanding.

Very cheap and looked more wholesome than the food vans (which smelt great however).

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank weiyunmak
stthomas
“I think it's called Valentin now”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If it is the one and same VALENTIN we went there twice, we had our best meals there. The Sardines are to die for as are the calamari and the fresh sea bream fish. We also enjoyed the polenta and their local re wine

Visited October 2012
2 Thank pitunaina
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Fresh fish!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I spotted the restaurant when walking through the market square. There are tables outside on fine days; otherwise access is via the fishmonger shop, where the extremely fresh fish and seafood is laid out on either side on ice: an appealing sight.
the dining room is brick vaulted, with smart pinewood floor and tables and chairs, top lighting over each table, not too bright and rather Scandinavian in its look.
Waiters all speak English and there is a large, varied menu. You can either choose from that or select a fish from the shop to be prepared in any style that pleases. I began with a trio of oysters, expensive at €2.5 each, but delicious, then a fillet of John Dory, succulent and not overcooked, with a side of new potatoes garnished with rosemary. There is a good selection of Slovenian wines, both in bottle and by the glass, not expensive. I had a carafe of a white varietal unique to Slovenia (can't remember its name but it was good).
I returned a second night and had a more modest fresh green salad and a plate of whitebait, again fresh as could be. A different wine: Sauvignon this time.
The first time I went it was quite quiet, the second I was lucky to get a table, and it wasn't a weekend. So booking is advised.

• Visited October 2012