“OK - nice staff”

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Ljubljana
London, UK
“OK - nice staff”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night last week. Good last minute price when most were booked up.

I booked for the hotel to pick me up from the airport, which seemed no cheaper than an ordinary cab at 38 Euros.

Arrived late and received a very friendly check in. The lobby is small but clean, and the hotel is located about 5 minutes walk from the Triple Bridge.

No food on offer when I arrived, so I had to walk into town, which in the end turned out to be nice anyway.

The corridors and room were "OK" but not that great. For example, there is no usable safe, and the bathroom is extremely basic. The corridors are a bit dingy. Having said that the rooms were clean and everything that they had worked, including the free internet.

The breakfast was again "OK", with good service once again.

When I checked out they asked me to pay for my taxi again, despite having paid for it the night before. Luckily I had a receipt, but even then they wanted me to wait 10 minutes so that they could "check". I was in a hurry so they dropped this, took a copy of the receipt and that was that. The guy at reception was very pleasant and polite throughout this incident, but it was rather annoying. I would have been better off just taking a cab picked up at the airport.

I have stayed at better hotels in Ljubljana for a similar price, although this would be fine if I had to stay there again, and the others were full.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rabbitman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Also called "Central Hotel" ****,this is the smallest and least expensive sister of the 3 Grand Hotel Unions along one of the main street in beautiful Ljubljana which leads to the center of town. She is nonetheless a pretty and practical sister and does have a sauna;breakfast was included in our deal; the breakfast was served on the mezzanine, a well appointed long room embellished by large windows running its length. Attractive chairs and tablecloths lends a touch of class to the buffet served from 6 to 10 daily. The quality of the food was not as good as we enjoyed at the NH in Trieste the previous week; but it was good enough, varied and abundant. Must say we missed that incredible self serve coffee machine from the NH.TV in our comfortable room was a large flat screen; we also had WI-FI that was easy to connect.
The receptionist told us that we had access to the pool at another Union hotel a short walk away.
Of the three front desk people we talked to personally, one did not speak English well and was a little curt. Everyone else was kind and helpful -as are most of the Slovenians. The younger generations speaks English quite well, starting to study from the age of 8 and continuing through college.
Room was very clean and room cleaning good; bathroom was a little small and shower square-shaped with sliding doors that did not close well enough and the floor got wet as a result. Toilet deposit needed a tune up.
We booked only 2 nights and were sorry we had not booked a couple more -to take our time visiting the castle; Lake Bled apparently is another must see.
Having so many -hundreds! of- attractive cafes, bars and restaurants a short distance away along the beautiful river walk, it never occurred to us to dine in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, ACT
Reviewed July 7, 2013

but then again, I don't think there is such a thing as a reasonably priced hotel in Ljubljana! Friendly and efficient check-in staff, comfortable room (if a little small), fantastic breakfast and great location but I still struggle with how much a single room cost me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cromwell, New Zealand
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Staff were pleasant even though we were late in arriving. Check In was easy and rooms clean. Nice welcome screen on computer. Bathroom facilities all clean and worked well. Extremely easy to log onto wifi and very strong signal even on our floor 5. Just a walk to train station and central City 10 min either way.

• Stayed June 2013
United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The rooms at Central Hotel were clean but small and overpriced. While accommodations in Ljubljana came at a higher cost than other European cities we visited, I was was expecting more from Central Hotel. If I could have done it over again, I would have saved the additional $60 USD and stayed in a budget hotel. However, in all fairness I will say that the hotel has 2 redeeming qualities a) in walking distance to the train station and b) includes a complimentary breakfast in the room rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and three days for a quick tour of the city and a day trip to fabulous Lake Bled. I agree with the other posters that if it was rated 3 stars as it should be then it would meet expectations and people wouldn't be so disappointed. The location is really great and within walking distance to the beautiful old town area. Our rooms were clean but the hotel is dated and not very attractive. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful to us making our stay more comfortable. They have 2 updated elevators so luggage was not a problem. The breakfast was fine and met our needs to start the day. The 4th floor is non-smoking which is not guaranteed but may be requested. We had three rooms for our group of six. We did not all stay on the non-smoking floor but the rooms on the smoking floor were not smoky or musty however the hallway was quite strong smelling of smoke so USA guests be warned. For the price and location it is a hotel to consider.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Atlantausa4
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you look at their price list…. 140€ per night is in my opinion way overpriced for this hotel. For few bucks more you get double of comfort in nearby hotel down the street “Grand Hotel Union Business”. But, if you’re lucky, you’ll get a discount, either you ask for it, or get into their discount period, or find a good online offer, or arrange company price. I was staying there for one week last time, and many times before. Room rate was 80€ for which I can say it is totally worth it.
Hotel itself has a strange oldish fragrance, to which you get used to, but reveals the fact that it is rather old and asks for refurbishment. Rooms are not super clean, but are clean enough. Don’t expect much of a view from window, except to another building. Breakfast is fair, I can not say rich, but one can find preferable meal. (In “Union Business” is much better breakfast, more choice. )
Nice thing about this hotel is that you can go into swimming pool and spa/sauna in nearby “Grand Hotel Union Business” as guest of “Union Central”. For free. This other hotel is 4 minutes walk from “Union Central”.
Car parking is problem, unless you’re willing to pay 20-30€ per night in nearby garage. I have found a trick here. Streets around hotel are full of parking places and if streets in narrow circle are all occupied, I’m sure you’ll find free spot in wider circle. That worked for me. However, you have to pay parking there as well, something like 0,8€ per hour, I don’t remember exactly. But they charge this from 8 until 18. As I was working all day, I left parking place at 7:30 and came back at around 18. That’s how I got parking completely free. And if I came back earlier, I pay 1€ or so until 18, which was like 10 times cheaper than using garage.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business