Open today: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM

from $25.24
from $13.76
from $19.50
5,990 results
All reviews viewing tower puppet museum virtual castle ljubljana castle audio guide worth the climb castle walls nice castle funicular railway cable car nice view walk up slovenian history worth a visit nice walk by foot old town
Selected filters
Reviewed May 2, 2019 via mobile

If you’re expecting a “British Castle”, you’ll be disappointed. There isn’t actually much of the structure to see or history to learn about. The castle has been converted into civic and entertainment spaces, to the detriment of a typical castle experience. It’s all a bit odd. It’s still worth spending an hour or two though.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank philipehall11
Reviewed April 28, 2019

Most of the interior of the castle is new due to a fire but the outer walls are older and the views of the city and surrounding mountains from the tower are great. It is a nice, slightly strenuous hike up the hill or you can take the funicular. The path up the hill is well shaded. If you take the funicular up it is a pretty easy hike down. The castle is well worth a visit.

Reviewed April 25, 2019 via mobile

This place which gives a glance of the city history and sites is a must site
The location and information is suitable for all ages, young and old

Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

My review of Ljubljana Castle would probably be higher had I not had a run in with one of their staff; nonetheless, I'll try to refrain (until the end) and provide an objective and hopefully helpful account of my visit.
Ljubljana Castle presides majestically over the Slovenian capital from its hilltop perch. The castle itself has its origins in the 11th and 12th centuries, but archeological finds suggest it was occupied at least by around the time of the Bronze Age collapse around 1200 B.C. It was a Roman fortification, then later a major stronghold for the Slovenian Carniola rulers and then for the Austrian Habsburgs. It was almost completely destroyed in the 15th century, but then rebuilt in the 16th and 17th centuries as a fortification against the Ottomans. It served as a penitentiary for POWs (mostly Italians) during WWI (though by all accounts, a fairly humane one), and today is is both a cultural icon and a prime location for myriad cultural events. It has a grand tower, topped with both the flags of Slovenia and Ljubljana, from whose crenelations one can see not only lovely Ljubljana but a significant portion of the entire country. The sight of the rugged snow-capped peaks of the Slovenian Alps on the horizon is genuinely breathtaking. And legend has it that under the castle a dragon sleeps, whose grumblings can be felt in the manifestation of the myriad earthquakes that occur.
One can access the castle either by funicular or by foot (though beware: some pathways to the top are rougher than others). The price for an adult was 7.50€ or 10€ with an audioguide.
At this point, I hope anyone reading this gets the correct impression: that I greatly enjoyed MOST of my visit to this castle. Unfortunately, my encounter with a sour employee ruined the experience.
I was in the building dedicated to the history of Slovenia. One enters, effectively, on the second floor, below which are exhibits for prehistory and antiquity. The second floor, then, focuses on the medieval period. Off the second floor is a staircase that leads to higher levels. The level above the medieval area is dedicated to more recent events, such as WWI, WWII and the collapse if the USSR.
As I was exiting this floor to return to the stairwell, a couple came up the stairs for whom I held the door. After they passed, I began ascending the stairs to the next floor.
I got maybe two or three steps up when an angry voice shouted, "What do you think you're doing?"
I turned and saw the employee who manned the desk for the third floor.
Naturally, I took it that I was doing something wrong, and since the only thing I was doing was climbing, this must have been a no-no.
"Does the exhibit not continue above," I asked?
"You're not allowed! There's a sign!"
He pointed towards a sign that had been obscured from my view by the couple who entered as I exited.
"Oh, I'm sorry. There was a couple who blocked my view," I replied.
"They had already gone in. There's a sign," he countered in a shrill voice.
It was at this point that I transformed from dumb tourist who made a simple mistake to angry tourist not willing to be bullied by some officious desk gnome who delights in minor displays of cheap authority.
We exchanged a few more comments during which I repeated that I had not seen the sign because the couple was in the way, pointed out that I had stopped immediately when addressed (so I was likely not much of a real threat), and called him an idiot for escalating things beyond reason.
Whoever does the hiring for staff at Ljubljana Castle needs to spend more time on training decent customer service skills. A simple "Excuse me, sir, but that area is off limits to visitors" would have been more than enough to halt my advance and would not have evolved into a conflict. I would have left with only good feelings about my visit and would not have felt compelled to dedicate more than half of my review to complaining about an ill trained, foul tempered staff member.

2  Thank nelly32018
Reviewed April 15, 2019

It took us about an hour to walk up from the centre of town. If you have nothing to do you can walk up here but the castle is nothing to write home about

Date of experience: May 2018
LjubljanaCastle, Public Relations Manager at Ljubljanski Grad, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2019

Dear Peter H,

thank you for your honest review. We are sorry that you didn't stop by at our Info Centre, where we could provide you with the proper information what can you do at the Castle. For example, we have various small art galleries and museums (Slovenian History echibition, Museum of Puppetry, temporary exhibition Mighty Guardians of the Past: Castles in the Slovenian Lands, Castle Weapons) and other Castle rooms to explore like Castle Chapel, Penitentiary, Viewing Tower with splendid view over the city, ... And the surroundings of the Castle are also interesting with Bastille (older part of the castle), Castle Park with Šance and Castle Vineyard.
For more enthusiastic visitors we have costumed guided tours Time Machine and Behind Bars (and also classic guided tours) and Escape Castle (adventure game where you explore the Castle on your own, with your team of choice, and maybe even save the dragon). At the end you can stop by at our Souvenir Shop, where you'll be greeted by Friderik, the Castle rat (he's just adorable). And for refreshment we have a Coffee House and two restaurants (if you became hungry). There is no time to waste at the Castle, you just need to explore it.

We hope that you'll visit us again soon.

Best regards from Ljubljana,