“a very bad experience at a very high price”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Allegro Hotel

Allegro Hotel
Ranked #7 of 55 Ljubljana B&B and Inns
Forli, Italy
“a very bad experience at a very high price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had a very bad experience here, two days ago. We'd come back to our car to find a flat tyre (someone had punched it - thanks very much). This happened around eleven on a Friday night, so obviously there was no chance of us finding someone to fix the car before the morning. So we went looking for a last-minute room, and we saw the Allegro. Once in, we asked the person at the counter if they had a room for us, and she told us that there was one room, but since it was a family room, they'd do us the favour of giving it to us for only 135 euros. We balked at this, and tried to explain that maybe the room was a family room, but it was only the two of us and we would be occupying it for a matter of seven hours - all to no avail. It was now very late - around midnight - so we accepted, even though the sight of an insect crawling in a bowl of superannuated candies (in the hall) was not particularly encouraging. Then we discovered that the room was actually an attic, that there was no way of shutting out the light (other than quasi-transparent white curtains 'shading' the skylights), and that there were dead bees on one of the beds. Plus, the room had no sound insulation and the hotel was located in a very noisy area. Predictably enough, we didn't sleep a wink. The morning after, we managed to fix the tyre and proceeded to check out. I was very upset, and asked the person now in charge if I could speak to the manager. Apparently, I couldn't - though the person in charge spoke to him/her on the phone - and after much haggling and arguing, we were granted the huge concession of a further discount. In the end, we paid 115 euros for the privilege of not sleeping in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank truemoro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

What I liked:
Great location, really cute hotel, extremely pleasant and helpful afternoon staff (especially red headed girl), free drinks on the reception, all the staff spoke my language and there were no need for English (even they didn't have to walk that "extra mile" if they didn't want to). Also the hotel itself is very cute, looks like a house of an old countess - luxurious but in an antique way. My room was perfectly clean, a lot of tv channels (both local and various international, more than 40 of them). Restaurant "Spajza", one of my favorites in Ljubljana is really close - their game and duck dishes are a must try. Breakfast is great and the big plus is that you can also squeeze your own fresh lemon or orange juice on the spot.

What I didn't like:
1. WiFi signal was impossible to catch in any comfortable place in the room, i.e. I had to stand by the door of my room to use internet properly.
2. Sink in the bathroom of my room was cracked. I mean, not a big deal, but it's a four star hotel and looks really good, so it's a shame for something like that to spoil the picture.
3. Airport shuttle - absolutely terrible service!!! When I arrived the man from the shuttle company which the hotel uses left me waiting for 25 minutes in the vehicle ("in order to fill up the bus"). After nobody else came he didn't want to drive only me and just moved me to another random shuttle (totally different company, not reserved by hotel). OK, this is not so bad, you might think, since I arrived to the hotel, but when I was leaving from the hotel to the airport the same shuttle company left me WAITING for exactly 30 minutes on the street and didn't show up!!! And after I went to hotel and they called him the shuttle driver lied that "he was waiting (on the exact spot were I was standing) for 15 minutes and when no one came, he just left". I was almost late for the check in because of this 45 minute waist of time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Petar S
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

After we stayed at Slamic, and absolutely loving Ljubljana, we decided at the last minute to stay another night. As expected, almost all hotels were fully booked as it was Saturday -including the Slamic. We ended up at the Allegro Hotel, and we found it quite elegant, a bit pricey but extremely central. The staff were helpful and friendly -did invite us to a coffee when we were checking in- and they gave us the last room they had: an enormous room decorated in period style -which we were told it included the main bedroom plus another room with two single beds plus two bathrooms. They made a bit of discount on the price, so we were happy. The room tried to be elegant although we found it somehow a bit overelaborate, or maybe it's best to say that it simply wasn't our style. The matress was very good, the main bathroom was also nice, spacious and had a big and modern bath. And here is when the surprise comes: when we openned the door of the 2nd bathroom, we found an unbelievable picture: the bathroom was in a terrible state, it looked as if it was being refurbished, there were no bathroom fittings and there were dirty towels lying on the floor, which probably produced the funny smell that could be felt in the room. We told the person at reception when we checked out, and she was ever so embarrassed. But when she told the owner -a young guy-, that happened to come to reception when we were talking about it, would not even look at us. We got a discount of 15€ to compensate the bathroom episode.

Breakfast was good and, as said, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the location excellent. I am not sure we would recommend it, as the cons were quite remarkable and, as said, it was quite pricey. We would most definetely not stay again in the same room, which was situated by the inner-terrace at the back of the corridor on the ground floor.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fussbar
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

My friend and I booked to stay three nights in this hotel because of its central location. We were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble from finding out bus and train times, recommending local sights and restaurants to booking transport back to airport. The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kleefeld
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had planned to stay elsewhere but was so pleased that I stayed at Allegro. The location is perfect, with restaurants, shopping, the river and sights right on the doorstep. The reception staff were friendly, extremely helpful and were clearly very proud of their city. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable and the breakfast was delicious - you can squeeze your own fresh orange juice. A special thanks to the management who assisted me by arranging and paying for a taxi when a shuttle service did not arrive. This was well beyond good service as the fault lay with the shuttle company. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Champa242
Allentown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

My brother and I booked a stay at the Allegro and we were not dissappointed. The location is at the southern end of the pedestrian zone - about a 20-minute walk from the bus and train stations. It was very easy to get around the town from this location. Our room was small but comfortable. It was clean although the decorations were a bit too dollhouse/antiquey for my liking. The Wi Fi worked fine in our room. The hotel staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating. We were offered drinks while we waited for the front desk staff to finish our registration. At check out, when we needed to make a phone call, the staff member allowed us to use their cell phone. Breakfast was better than most other small hotels I've stayed at in Europe.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Greg C
Porto Alegre, RS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

If you are traveling solo be careful ! They will put you in a room, the number two, the first next to the front desk. Besides be one of the smallest rooms i've already been, you will hear all sort of noises because the room is located in the worst place possible.

You will hear the guests up and down the stairs, the sound that comes from the front desk, guest and staff talking, sometimes aloud, and even the sound coming from the street. I would say that after seven o'clock, in the morning, it's almost impossible for you to sleep. I asked for a new room and they just ignored or forgot my request. I made my reservation two months in advance and i asked for a quiet room. Despite the nice decor, and the very good location, in the heart of the old town, i definitely don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo