“Intimate, local, and comfortable”
Review of Spajza

Spajza
Ranked #22 of 630 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2014

All foodies should visit Ljubljana. Two nights here have resulted in two of the best meals and best service I have had. Spajza was a wonderful restaurant with an intimate, but not stuffy feeling. Žiga was our waiter. He was probably the best waiter we have ever had....and we have been to the best restaurants around the world. We asked him to simply bring us the best of each course and to pair wines with the food. It was an incredible experience. He explained each course and then each wine to perfection...including the type of wood barrel used it the wine maturation. All was fabulous.

1  Thank HappyBobbi

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We'd initially been put off going to this restaurant, as the Brandt travel guide said it was a contender for the most expensive restaurant in Ljubljana. However, we're so glad we did go as the food was delicious and the service exemplary. As a vegetarian you sometimes meet a level of impatience in high-end restaurants, but our waiter was fantastic. He directed us to items that were suitable on the menu and options available by adapting other dishes. He also brought 2 red wines for my companions to try so they could decide which they preferred. I tried the Slovenian demi-sec sparkling white - if you like bubbles but find most too dry, I can highly recommend it and at around €4 for a glass, it's not too pricy. For food, I had asparagus with walnut cream, Slovenian pasta with truffles and creme brûlée, which came to around €25. Given the quality & freshness of the food, the pleasant surroundings and the great service I though that was reasonable. In addition, there was an amuse bouche and very tasty home made bread provided. There were some expensive meat and fish dishes on the menu, but I can't comment on those. I would definitely recommend from a vegetarian perspective and would encourage people to check it out.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

They don't need my review but I would like to add just these observations: superb wines. Trust the staff suggestions.

Very polished service, refined but unfussy dishes.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Having dinner in Spajza crowned our six days visit to Ljubljana. The milieu there looks authentic, not too brilliant but is really homey. According to that the service we got was exactly as it has to be. We liked it. The dinner began with greetings from kitchen, a kind of grated smoked lamb (if not horse, I am not quite sure). It was tasteful, indeed. As our main we both had rabbit fillet which simply was unforgettable. We were very pleased with our choice :) We were happy when we found on the wine list a local Barbera which was our choice. That wine was excellent, being yet very moderately priced. As a whole, in my opinion, the price level here was moderate thinking of the quality of all.

1  Thank JukkaTM
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This restaurant was recommended by the desk clerk of our hotel, in spite of the fact that there was a restaurant located at the hotel, which he did not mention, so we decided to give it a try. It was certainly worth it, even though it was one of the more expensive in the city. I had the best lamb chops I have ever had, tender and not overcooked at all.

1  Thank 1946Lynn1711