“Upscale dining with ok food.”
Review of Spajza

Spajza
Ranked #35 of 641 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The food & service were good, not exceptional, but this just isn't one of my favorite places to eat in Ljubljana. Perhaps others will enjoy it more.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After 6 months I brought a return visit to Spajza and again have all the reason to be positive. Nice starter, nice soup, good steak and excellent advise on wine that suited the rainy night. The ambiance is very pleasant, like a "living-room-restaurant". Yes, they do keep the friendly service and quality up - when next in Ljubljana, I will be back.

1  Thank MRE007
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is one of the finer restaurants in Ljubljana. Located on a quiet street with an old, timely look up front it opens up to place with low ceilings and hardwood floors, with a lot of attention to detail spent in creating a nice, cozy atmosphere.
The food is wonderful, tasty and freshly prepared. I had beef in balsamico sauce, and was not let down. The portions are not big, but are satisfactory. The staff is polite, and very helpful. I'd also like to mention the garlic bread that was offered to us while we waited for the main course...it was excellent.
The Špajza restaurant lives up to it's name and is a great restaurant. We walked in directly from the street, choose our table, and were treated very nicely here.
Would and hopefully will comeback for another meal.
It's worth the money if you ask me.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have just returned from a stag party in Ljubljana and in an attempt to finish our trip in a more civilised manner I booked a table for 17 people at Spajza.

Firstly, I booked the table about 10 months in advance and I was in constant contact with Petra the whole time. She arranged everything from a dedicated set menu, a separate annex room for us, I also provided a unique menu design for the groom which she arranged to have on the tables when we arrived.

One of the perks of my previous job was being able to eat at some very nice restaurants in London, I'm genuinely comfortable saying that the food at Spajza is up there with some of the best rustic European food I've eaten. Starter consisted of lavish platters of cured meats, terrines and pate coupled with an excellent selection of smoked and cured fish.

The main courses were selected from a choice of 6-8 different options, I personally had the monk fish which was excellent, however I'm told the T-bone streak, fillet steak and lamb were all equally good. I did also try the octopus, which despite other users comments on here - was cooked perfectly (steamed then grilled).

Dessert was a trio of different puddings, and I think there was also some cheese. There was a strudel, a strawberry cream and...........this is where the Cabernet Sauvignon kicked in.

The wine list was comprehensive, we opted for a table wine of a reasonably priced Slovenian Cab Sav (28 euros per bottle) which was delicious and worked well with red meat and surprisingly the fish also. The staff are very knowledgeable also so don't be afraid to ask.

All in all I cannot recommend this place highly enough and the feedback from the 16 other guys echoed this sentiment. Whether it's a romantic meal for 2 or a post stag do chow down - Spajza is a great reminder of what European ambiance, food and wine should be.

Well bloody done!

Chris

1  Thank simpleplan1983
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Booked ahead so we received a great welcome and our table was in a good spot, the courtyard for the summer looked nice but not for February. The place is chic rustic, wooden floors and low ceilings give it a great atmosphere. There's no compromise on the quality of the service, excellent attention to detail. The menu offers a great selection of local specialities which our waiter described excellently and helpfully in such good English. Wine list is varied and the local wine recommended to us was delicious. If you're looking for somewhere a little bit special, want to taste something different and local, enjoy good service, you can't go wrong here.