“Slightly Unconventional Stag Party Dinner”
Review of Spajza

Spajza
Ranked #20 of 628 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have just returned from a stag party in Ljubljana and in an attempt to finish our trip in a more civilised manner I booked a table for 17 people at Spajza.

Firstly, I booked the table about 10 months in advance and I was in constant contact with Petra the whole time. She arranged everything from a dedicated set menu, a separate annex room for us, I also provided a unique menu design for the groom which she arranged to have on the tables when we arrived.

One of the perks of my previous job was being able to eat at some very nice restaurants in London, I'm genuinely comfortable saying that the food at Spajza is up there with some of the best rustic European food I've eaten. Starter consisted of lavish platters of cured meats, terrines and pate coupled with an excellent selection of smoked and cured fish.

The main courses were selected from a choice of 6-8 different options, I personally had the monk fish which was excellent, however I'm told the T-bone streak, fillet steak and lamb were all equally good. I did also try the octopus, which despite other users comments on here - was cooked perfectly (steamed then grilled).

Dessert was a trio of different puddings, and I think there was also some cheese. There was a strudel, a strawberry cream and...........this is where the Cabernet Sauvignon kicked in.

The wine list was comprehensive, we opted for a table wine of a reasonably priced Slovenian Cab Sav (28 euros per bottle) which was delicious and worked well with red meat and surprisingly the fish also. The staff are very knowledgeable also so don't be afraid to ask.

All in all I cannot recommend this place highly enough and the feedback from the 16 other guys echoed this sentiment. Whether it's a romantic meal for 2 or a post stag do chow down - Spajza is a great reminder of what European ambiance, food and wine should be.

Well bloody done!

Chris

1  Thank simpleplan1983

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Booked ahead so we received a great welcome and our table was in a good spot, the courtyard for the summer looked nice but not for February. The place is chic rustic, wooden floors and low ceilings give it a great atmosphere. There's no compromise on the quality of the service, excellent attention to detail. The menu offers a great selection of local specialities which our waiter described excellently and helpfully in such good English. Wine list is varied and the local wine recommended to us was delicious. If you're looking for somewhere a little bit special, want to taste something different and local, enjoy good service, you can't go wrong here.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the duck roast with figs !!! This was just heavenly!! Absolutely gorgeous food and ambience. Very friendly service. I will go back soon !!! Loved it !!!

1  Thank Winnie D
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked this restaurant prior to our arrival in Ljubljana; as our special dinner. We both got the 5 course degustation menu, one of each the meat and seafood and shared all of the dishes. The food was perfectly cooked and many dishes had a modern twist. The wine list was quite extensive, so asked the waiter to recommend a bottle. His choice was perfect. Think I preferred the seafood menu a bit more then the meat, the Black and yellow risotto was the high-light for me. Service was polite, the restaurant was extremely quite so atmosphere was lacking,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I ordered to start a shrimp risoto that was very good, but for main course I ordered octopus with truffle mashed potatoes, the octopus was not cook in the right point and was not good.
The service is very slow but ok.
I recommend to try.