All reviews swimming pool nice hotel buy bottled water choice of food at breakfast dog sledging pasta dinner buffet evening meal half board feb half term no air conditioning plenty of choice a lot of noise large screen tv daily room service mini disco ski rental
Selected filters
Reviewed January 13, 2018

The hotel in itself is quite good and has some decent amenities, though a few quirks which just annoy you and end up leaving you with a bitter taste. The room was quite good, clean, spacious and with enough storage space, though the mini-bar was next to useless apart from exorbitant, and the safe was both small, and in our case, useless and they had lost the key to it!
We had a half board, which was half good. The breakfast was generally more than adequate, and even quite good, with a broad range of options to eat and drink, though very little in the way of fresh fruit was on offer.
Dinner was sufficient, with several starters, salads and main courses. Deserts were limited and only mediocre. Most annoying was that the half board dinner did not include any kind of drink, however simple, and simple water was offered at a ridiculous price of €2,50 / 500ml for still water and €2,80 / 500ml sparkling water. A 1/2 liter of house wine came to €12,50 and was not particularly good at that. While I am happy to pay reasonable prices for soft and especially alcoholic drinks, we found this to be too much and even in bad taste. Even the waiters shrugged their shoulders and joked about it being the bubbles in the sparkling water which cost more.
We were also charged a deposit for our two room key-cards and the key to the ski locker (a nice service), which they completely forgot to refund or ask for at checkout (my wife was unaware of my having been charged at check-in). Their loss as much as ours, but more than anything just plain incompetent.
All in all the level of foreign languages spoken (English, Italian and German) was basic, and and often bordering on insufficient.
The pool was OK though nothing special, while the ski locker an excellent service, and the proximity the the lifts a great asset.
The bar on the other hand was served by a very pleasant gentleman, and offered perfectly reasonable prices.
All in all mixed feelings, as it could have been a 4 or even 5 point review, but some silly policies and services bringing it down to a generous 3.
Just a couple of little things would have made this a much more pleasant stay. What a shame, and I hope the hotel management wake up to some of these silly policies.

Room tip: Stay away from the lobby and staircases as these become playgrounds during the evening and into the night.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank ccastleton
Vesna K, Manager at Hotel Kompas, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2018

Dear Mrs./Mr. ccastleton,

thank you for your detailed opinion.

We are happy that you liked the room and our breakfast. At the same time I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken.
Unfortunately drinks for the dinner are not included in price, that is a hotel policy as we are not all inclusive hotel. Drinks prices in restaurant and bar are the same, so I am affraid I do not understand your coment that in restaurant prices are thoo high and in the bar reasonable.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.

Despite your experience, we hope that moment spent in our hotel in Kranjska Gora created pleasant memories and you will choose our destination soon again.

Vesna Kranjc, hotel manager

Reviewed January 8, 2018 via mobile

Werry rude staff specially at front desk .Ms Toplak schould be somewere behind not in front.room service only kind staff in all hotel.even restaurant staff was rude.some of people working in hotel schould not be there.Food was less than avarage.last year hotel was way better in every way . Will not be back again Ramada across street diffefent level weng there for caffe and its closer to ski lift.
I have spend over 2500 euro which is not cheaper than Italy or Austria and service is like someones apartment

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Mrs./Mr. velikanoga,

thank you for your opinion. I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken.

Vesna Krajnc, hotel manager

Reviewed January 5, 2018

Calling the Hotel Kompas a 4 star Hotel must be the Slovenians idea of a joke, either that or Slovenian standards are considerably lower than the rest of Europe. Maybe my idea of a 4 star Hotel is too high brow but as I have worked in 3 star, 4 star & 5 star Hotels I have a pretty good idea of what a 4 star Hotel should be. I think a 4 star Hotel should not only be of have a certain standard of amenities but also cater for the needs of its patrons. The Hotel Kompas struggles to do either. I think that if a Hotel is taking bookings then I would expect all aspects of the Hotel facilities to be available whatever time of year. I stayed with a coach party over Christmas but the Wellness Suite was closed for Christmas before we arrived despite literature everywhere stating it was open every day. To be fair they did offer to book me a massage and sauna session at a different Hotel but who wants to struggle through the ice and snow after having a sauna and massage, you just want to go back to your room, in your complementary bathrobe, have a shower and flop on the bed, well at least I do. In the restaurant the food was varied and plentiful and generally well cooked and the all you could eat buffet meant you could eat what you liked when you liked. Unfortunately it lacked attention to detail, the meat was plentiful but there was a great lack of hot vegetables, no additional gravy, few sauces (no mustard, horseradish, mint sauce, apple sauce, tartar sauce etc), no cheese board as an alternative to dessert, no tap water for the table, even for medicinal purposes you had to purchase bottled water at inflated prices, no coffee after dinner, had to be ordered at the bar. I think it is pretentiously arrogant to claim they cannot supply tap water because they are a 4 star Hotel when other 4 star Hotels have a carafe of water on the table. The breakfast buffet was equally plentiful but the cooked items weren't covered so the scrambled eggs dried up quickly and everything was tepid rather than hot. In the room I was in the handle was hanging off the wardrobe, and by the marks on the door where it had worn a groove, I would say it had been like that for some considerable time. Again, to be fair, it was repaired the day after I informed reception, it is just a pity they didn't think to do it before. Maybe previous guests didn't report it but surely the chambermaid would have noticed. There were also cigarette burns on the furniture despite it stating it was a non-smoking room, obviously somebody didn't think so. To be fair Christmas Day they did make a half-hearted effort to push the boat out a bit with cold Beef Wellington on the breakfast buffet and fresh turkey on the dinner buffet and live music. Surprisingly all the meat on the dinner buffet was exceedingly well cooked, except the fresh turkey, this was dry and overcooked and brought out after the majority of diners had already had their main course so most of it was left on the counter. Dinner started at 18:30 but the turkey wasn't brought out until 20:00. There were no special additions to the starters or sweet even though it was Christmas Day dinner, in fact starters and dessert were blandly similar throughout my stay. As traditional Christmas dinners go I had better at my local garden centre prior to leaving the UK. This Hotel seems to lack the attention to detail on many fronts, like how to prepare brussel sprouts so they cook evenly, beating eggs for scrambled eggs, knowing how to prepare and serve an Irish coffee timing, like bringing out the turkey etc when people want to eat it, it is no good bringing it out when most people are on dessert. The only thing I could advise is if you want 4 star treatment at a 4 star Hotel, stay at a better one as it would be a very sad situation if this is the best Slovenia has to offer.

Room tip: Good views of ski slopes at the front
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank grahamesir

Dear Mrs./Mr. grahamesir,

For the Christmas dinner we had a group of guests that ordedred turkey, that is why we did not served it earlier. I hope you understand.

Vesna Krajnc, hotel manager

Reviewed January 1, 2018

We stayed here for a family skiing trip. This hotel is a good value for money. It has a great location, good-average food, a great lobby bar with a fire place and a parking lot. It's conveniently next to the ski resort and the hotel has heated locker rooms for storing your skis. Everything is in a walking distance and there's plenty to do.
However, if you want a high-level service, you might also look elsewhere. Staff needs more training. The first "welcome" we heard was from a very nice cleaning lady. It feels like it's up to every individual staff member how to behave - some staff were great (lady at the pool, waiters at the bar), some staff not so much (receptionists are okay-ish, but you're not sure whether they're glad you showed up).
They don't want to serve tap water at the dinner, although the area is known for fantastic Alpine clean tap water. I get it - they really want to squeeze every additional Euro from the guests. Therefore, you need to order bottled water. I totally survive paying 5 euros for renting a bathrobe, but this one is just a tasteless "business idea".
It's a pity that more attention wasn't given to the room design and to sauna area, which has a resting area that looks like a badly converted office. Nevertheless, Finnish saunas are great, but Turkish bath (steam room) wasn't hot enough, so nobody was using it. If someone only took care of all the details that matter to us, this place would be fantastic.

Room tip: Value for money, next door to ski-resort.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank suunto2000
aida k, Manager at Hotel Kompas, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2018

Dear Sir or Madam,

thank you for your stay at Kompas Hotel in Kranjska Gora and for sharing your opinion.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We will keep on doing our best to make our guests' stays as comfortable and as memorable as possible.

I will pass this letter to my team.

Best regards, Aida Kadič, hotel manager

Reviewed December 24, 2017 via mobile

This hotel is amazing, staff very friendly and helpful. Room I was allocated was on 2nd floor with lovely view. Very quiet. Facilities are well maintained, good pool, massage chairs. Food is lovely both breakfast and evening meals are buffet style with options to cater for everyone. Would I come back - a big yes

Trip type: Traveled solo