“Excellent hotel”
Review of Hotel Kristal

Hotel Kristal
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great location, not far from the lake, accessible and easy to find.
We stayed at the hotel Kristal a 4 nights.Our room on 1 floor was large with great views on Triglav, very clean, also bathroom. The food was very tasty and beautifull (soups were fantastic). Staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful. Honest recommendation for those who have children.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Danilo P

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Again this year we used Hotel Krystal as a base for skiing at nearby Vogel. This is a Very comfortable and welcoming, family run hotel. The food is good as is the ambiance. The snow let us down this time but the Hotel is consistently good. We used the non ski days to discover moe about the local area and were not disappointed. Overall the venue offers excellent value for money and we will be back

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobNicholson1953
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel was nice, but certainly nothing special. The rooms seemed a bit sterile to me. I had a problem with the sink in that the stopper was stuck in the down position, so water would not drain. I called reception and they immediately got on the problem and got it fixed quickly. There was also no hand soap in the room and that was resolved quickly also. There is a German/Austria influence in this part of Slovenia, which was reflected in the seating in the restaurant: You are assigned a table-you look for the table with your room number on it and that's where you are to sit. Aah. German organization. The room was pretty clean although some random dusting could have been useful in some of the more obscure areas. Dinner was above average and breakfast was pretty much the typical European B&B breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank tatom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This family owned hotel was one of two recommended by Helia Tours as part of our bike excursion. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Front desk staff are often helpful. The restaurant food is mediocre. Lake Bohinj is spectacularly beautiful with excellent biking and hiking opportunities. We shall likely try Hotel Bohinj if we visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drfunutah
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Based on my experience with this hotel I would rate it a 2 star not a 4 star hotel that they claim.

Here is my experience at Hotel Kristal.

My hiking buddy and I arrived on September 13th around 4:00 pm. We entered the lobby and no one was around. We waited for 5 minutes by the reception desk. I noticed the computer was unlocked and anyone could access the hotel information. Behind the desk were randomly placed pictures of kids coloring. After waiting 5 minutes we went to the restaurant and found someone to help us. We had requested 2 twin beds. We arrive at our room and find a double and a pull out sofa made up. We dropped our gear and walked into town. Upon returning I laid on the sofa bed. It was not the least bit comfortable. I decided I wanted to change rooms.
Back down to the lobby. Again it's deserted. I wait a good 5 minutes and then make my way to the restaurant. I find the same person who helped me before. He said he would be right with me. 5 minutes later he showed up at the desk. I explained I wanted 2 twin beds. He scratched his head and gave me another key. Off he went back to the restaurant. I proceed to the new room and found it was exactly like the room I was in. Back down again to the restaurant and chased the guy down again. He picks another room and this time accompanies me
to the room to make sure it's OK. This one was acceptable. It had a double bed and 1 twin bed.

The room looked straight out of the 80's. Some of the unusual attributes of the room are:
o In the room there was one wine glass and one rocks glass. What if both of us wanted wine?
o A key on the ring for a mini-bar, but no mini-bar. There was a 3rd key on the ring which I
never figured out what it went to.
o A 15 inch tube TV. The remote control was missing the battery cover
o The bathroom had not been updated in a very long time
o The medicine cabinet had two exposed bulbs. One clear and one frosted.
o There was only one drinking glass in the bathroom as well
o There were two dispensers attached to the walls. Neither one was being used. I think one
used to be used for toilet paper. Now they just put a roll on top of the toilet.
o Areas of the bathroom floor were ungrouted and it looked like mold was growing.

Check out day was like the day we arrived. No one was in the lobby. I just left my key on the
desk and was glad to be leaving.

P.S. Be sure to check out the room beside the front desk. It's an homage to dead animals. The walls are filled with skulls of assorted dead animals. In addition you can enjoy some pelts of other animals.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt P
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed for two nights at this hotel and right from the outset we were impressed. After booking in the lad who we assumed to be the owners son took all our luggage upstairs to our room and made sure that everything was to our satisfaction.
The room was a reasonable size spotlessly clean and the bathroom had everything including a great power shower. The only downside was that we were at the rear of the hotel and although there was a very good balcony you could see absolutely nothing because there were huge fir trees blocking the view. One other thing is that you cannot get the free WiFi from these rear rooms, it's only available at the front of the hotel, weird!
For an extra €10 per person per night you can have half board which is recommended as there are no restaurants in the area and the food is good basic tucker.
Only one small complaint, if you are a little late in coming down for breakfast most items on the buffet bar have disappeared and we noticed that they are not replenished. Other than that this is a good solid hotel at very reasonable costs. If you are travelling by car there is plenty of free parking space.

Room Tip: Take a room at the front
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were fortunate enough to be in Slovenia during the heatwave from mid August onwards. This hotel is family run and it shows, with care and attention shown in every aspect from the friendliness of all the staff to the food to the cleanliness and the décor. Everything was excellent and Alenka is so charming. Our room was fine, not special but good enough for sleeping and storage and kept exceedingly clean. The restaurant is great both inside and al fresco, food was lovely, you choose your evening meal at breakfast and that works really well as there is no delay when you're hungry in the evening. The hotel is also a great base for the Lake, you can walk through the village, avoiding the busy road. We did several beautiful walks from the hotel, you can also hire cycles and there is a great cycle path, nearby.I would throughly recommend the Apricot Brandy which is homemade by Alenka's Mum - it's a bit special.
Along with another reviewer, we were there when the Slovenian President came for a meal - a special occasion indeed, great atmosphere and shows what a good reputation this place has. If we come back to Slovenia, we would definitely stay at the Kristal again. Thank you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road as if it's hot, there is no aircon, so we needed the balcon...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 9 in Bohinjsko Jezero
Hotel Bohinj
Hotel Bohinj
#8 of 9 in Bohinjsko Jezero

Been to Hotel Kristal? Share your experiences!