“Good, but missing 'the vibe'”
Review of Hostel Pod Voglom

Hostel Pod Voglom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

There are pro's and con's I experienced when staying here.

Pro's:
- friendly staff
- in the middle of beautiful nature
- nice excursions & trips could be organized out of the hostel. The skydiving was GREAT! Do that do that do that!
- rooms are oke: clean and quiet
- Next to the lake, perfect for an ice cold swim to wake up easier in the morning :D Absolutely stunning.

Con's:
- Damn long walk from the central bus stop (advice: take the local bus to get there)
- Showers cold and not super clean, you share it with the full corridor so be patient
- The way the tables are arranged in the communal area doesn't encourage people to talk to each other or seek company, it's a bit individual... therefore the 'typical hostel vibe' is missing
- Except for breakfast an dinner (1 choice) you can't get any food during the day, only icecream... and the first supermarket is far away (and not open many times). That was 1 hungry Sunday.

Bohinj is BEAUTIFUL!! You can't miss this destination when visiting Slovenia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dutch_delight013
Katarina D, Manager at Hostel Pod Voglom, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Dutch_delight013

Thank you for your review - i find it very helpfull. Nice to hear you've enjojed your tandem flight:)

Thanks for the review:
We have a bus stop just in front of our Hostel Pod Voglom. There is no need for local bus. If you buy the bus ticket to the Hostel pod Voglom, the bus will stop just in front of the building. I am really sorry you got off earlier.

I'll notice my cleaning ladies about that and I am sorry you had cold showers. Don't know, how that was possible, as we always have hot water.

Sorry for that, too. However that review really seem strange, as we have everywhere notices that we offer farmers stew (4 €) any time of the day. There are also chips and chocolates in the bar. I guess we just run out of them...

Greetings from Bohinj and hope we see us again:)
Katarina

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed a night at this hostel in Lake Bohinj at the end of October 2012. It was the off season and the hotel was low on occupancy, I was given a two bed room for myself. The room was basic en-suite and it was sufficient for my need and the low rate I paid.
The location of the hostel is good, the lake is just outside the hotel. My room overlooked the lake and in the morning, the view of the lake was simply stunning. The hotel staff were very friendky and informative. For the price I paid, I was pleasantly surprised that breakfast fare was better than I expected.
Good base to tour the surrounding Triiglav area. Bus stop just outside the hotel which for was really convenient.
I will definitely return again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I came here as part of a group to trek around the surrouning mountains, and was utterly blown away by the setting.

Right on the bohinjsko jezero, (Bohinj Lake), and very close to the Bohinj town, this place is great as either a destination or a base camp. Very reasonably priced rooms, good food and drink and a great view of the lake from the whole property. Did some biking,canoeing and swimming before heading off into the mountains.

Room Tip: On the downside, place does not offer laundry facilities, so pack extra clothes. Service can be a bi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I came to this hostel with a group of friends before and after climbing Mount Triglav. It was such a chilled place, with young people and families. The staff were friendly and there was so much to do there - canoeing, rock climbing, high ropes, cycling, paragliding....

The food was decent and the alcohol very cheap.

I had a super time her at Lake Bohinj and didn't want to leave! I will definitely be back, and when I return, I would come back to this hostel.

Room Tip: The rooms with paintings on the wall are very fun, but all rooms clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'm really pleased to have found this hostel - the hostel itself and it's location are excellent. I stayed at this hostel twice, using it as a base before and after a trek up nearby Triglav.

This is a large hostel - but it retains a homely, friendly and very welcoming feel and comes complete with an excellent range of facilities. There appeared to be a wide choice of accommodation including dorns and en-suite private rooms. We stayed in a private room, and whilst the furnishings were a little basic, it was comfortable and excellent value. The balcony with direct views of the lake was an added bonus, and there was pleny of storage space in the room. The bathroom was clean and hot water always available, although the shower could have done with a shower curtain or screen.

The hostel offers an excellent value dinner, and a free buffet breakfast was available between 7 and 10am. There is also a bar on site, plenty of information about trips and acitivities, and the staff were consistently helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. We arrived late on the first evening, but the staff were very willing to prepare a simple meal for us, and another day we had to catch an early bus - again the staff were really accommodating and made breakfast available early.

There are other activities available on site including a high ropes course, bike hire etc, although we did not try these and they appeared to be a popular with school groups etcThe excellent location means that you can swim in the lake direclty on the hostel doorstep - and you can catch the bus outside to take you into Bohinjsko Jezero, elsewhere in Triglav national park or onto Ljubljana.

Overall, very highly recommended - thanks to the staff and management for a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer building offer private bathrooms and those to the front of the building have balc...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2011

While the staff were very helpful and friendly when I asked for information, I felt quite lost in this giant, run down hostel. They seem oriented to large groups of travellers and team building outings. There was a lot of noise for what I thought would be a quiet, next-to-the-lake experience. I stayed one night and then switched to the far superior and slightly cheaper Studor 13 in the village of Studor about 3 km away.

The night I was there there was lots of cheering and singing as groups celebrated their achievements.The floor boards were louder than loud and there was only one washroom (with one toilet and one shower) for men and one for women on my floor which was shocking because there were at least 10 rooms with 4 beds each. The place is run down but at least it is very clean. I had a room to myself and the room was spacious with a dresser and its own sink. But the noise from downstairs with people playing what sounded like pool or something and the loud music was too much for me.

A tour of the facilities would have helped. No one showed me around even though the place was sprawling so I didn't know what facilities they had. Also no one let me know about what type of activities were on offer which was strange because they are linked with Pac Sports, a tour operator. I did end up going paragliding with them and definitely overpaid for a short, basic jump. I did a far superior jump from Kobarid for less money.

They do offer a pretty comprehensive breakfast which I really enjoyed.

The location next to the lake is great if you want to do a lot of lake activities but really the hostel is on the main road which was full of loud motorcycles all day and I felt that the north side of the lake was the nicer side to explore and swim from anyway. The campsite at the southwest end is probably the best lakeside place to stay and they are connected to pac sports as well.

Even though they are on the lake, they are still far from everything. I think the Studor 13 location is much better (quieter, prettier, closer to shops and restaurants etc.... see separate review).

I would not stay here again but if you are a group of people who want lots of activities, games, music, drinking etc. then this might be for you.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank googlywoogly
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Super service w. very nice guides and good value for money. would recommend to anyone!
we trie canyoning, rafting an moutin biking.

• Stayed: April 2011