“Consistent”

Ranked #56 of 2,777 Restaurants in Warsaw
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mirów
Description: Restauracja swą tematyką nawiązuje do burzliwej i ciekawej historii okolicy, w której się znajduje. To właśnie na pograniczu dzisiejszego centrum Warszawy i dzielnicy Wola działały niegdyś największe warszawskie fabryki i browary, a w środowiskach robotniczych tworzyły się pierwsze w Polsce ruchy komunistyczne i socjalistyczne. Nazwa restauracji pochodzi od historycznej oberży, która działała w tej okolicy od XIX wieku aż do II Wojny Światowej, a swą nazwę zawdzięcza „czerwonym” bywalcom tego lokalu, z komunistycznymi liderami - Leninem, Dzierżyńskim i Marchlewskim na czele. Pierwsze wzmianki o „Oberży pod Czerwonym Wieprzem” pojawiają się w datowanych na 1909 rok listach Róży Luksemburg do Gustawa Lubecka, w których wspomina o wizycie Lenina w Czerwonym Wieprzu.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I don't really like the place but I have been there several times over the years. Why? Whenever an expat is in town and wants to eat some polish grub you know what to expect from this place. i.e hardly any suprises. Service is not too friendly but quite competent and over the years I've never come across a waiter or waitress there that couldn't speak English. Bathrooms are very clean. Food is nothing special but as I said very consistent.Generally a very safe bet if you have to entertain expat visitors to Warsaw.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Growing up during the Cold War, as I did, I found names like Lenin, Stalin, Kruschev, and Mao mysterious as I learned their roles in establishing the Soviet Union, China, a world quite different from the one I knew. Seeing their portraits on the walls of this restaurant and imagining their diabolical planning for a new world order at the very table at which I was dining added an element of atmosphere which this restaurant plays to the hilt with tongue-in-cheek humor. Ambience, yes! The food was also very tasty with generous portions at a quite reasonable prices. The traditional Polish foods were served creatively with a hint of a gourmet touch. We liked it well enough to return for a second meal while in Warsaw. We did not have reservations the second time, so we were seated outside on a very cool evening. Our waiter somehow took pity on our group, or some party did not show up, but thankfully we ended up inside. I recommend this place for the food and the atmosphere. The waiter was lots of fun too!

1  Thank Gloria O
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Visited here on a whim after seeing an advert in a guide-map, and it turned out to be a great decision. Communist theme is very interesting, without being overly tacky, it actually feels relatively historic. The theme is worth seeing, but this is far from a novelty restaurant, the food is excellent too and good service. A mixture of simple Polish fair "for the prileteriat" and extravagent dishes "for the bourgeois" themed or bases on Tito, Castro the Roumanian chap I can't spell the name of. I had the truffle soup and roast duck, both of which were superb and as decadent as my evil capitalist soul could want.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's a novelty with its communist era menu, very cleaver. The interior is visually very busy & over the top. It's more comfortable outside. The food is hearty, a little pricey. The terrace is adjacent to the ghetto bridge that link the large & small sections of the ghetto. The restaurant more fun with a group.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

After hearing about "The Inn Under the Red Hog", we took a cab to this relatively well known restaurant. Despite being busy, and being unable to sit outside (Warsaw restaurants have to close their outdoor seating areas before 10:30 to avoid disturbing neighbors), we were quickly able to find a table. Walking in, the walls are a testament to have being visited by the Who's Who of celebrities who have been to poland, with framed pictures of every celebrity to have ever eaten there being proudly displayed.

For starters we ordered a mix platter of the traditional dumplings, which were delicious despite my inability to recognize what the fillings were exactly. After this I followed up with the roasted Duck, which was beautifully cooked and really hit the spot. For dessert I had apple pie, which although good, was not piping hot as I had expected. The service was relatively slow, but our waiter was extremely nice, and added a lot to the experience with his sarcastic wit. I would definitely go back.