“Fun, with gargantuan portions”

Podwale Kompania Piwna
Ranked #63 of 2,804 Restaurants in Warsaw
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Nice friendly place, very cheap, with portions that are hilariously large. You can easily share a main, as even between two of you, you won't go hungry.

The quality of the food is so-so - which is what you would expect from the very cheap prices (especially when you consider the portion size). My meal was only luke warm and my partner's schnitzel was quite dry.

A good place to have some beers, and have a laugh with friends.

1  Thank Simon0672
Tomasz B, Guest Relations Manager at Podwale Kompania Piwna, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thank you Simon0672 for your review!

We're sorry to hear that the quality of the food was so-so...quality of food, service and the atmoshere are very important issues for us

Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Huge portions of reasonable priced tasty food washed down with great beer! Popular beer hall style restaurant serving schnitzels, pork knuckle etc. Great place to visit for enjoyable atmosphere and good value hearty food.

Tomasz B, Guest Relations Manager at Podwale Kompania Piwna, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you UKMRR for your review!!!
Large Schnitzel and large pork knuckle are our most popular dishes:)
We hope that you will visit us next time you're in Warsaw!

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

In this amazing decor of old brewery you will find a vast amour of rooms of deferent sizes where you can sit down and enjoy the very good and reasonably priced food. The live Yiddish music add to the context and a nice dark beer will do the rest. Try the home made lemon vodka, or two, or three, ro foru..... :-)

Tomasz B, Guest Relations Manager at Podwale Kompania Piwna, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you Stephane B for the review!

We're happy you liked our home made lemon vodka:) Hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Found the restaurant very noisy, indeed so noisy, that we ate quickly, got our bill and left. All within an hour. Service was good and I enjoyed my first course of a local soup. Our second course, a platter of mixed meat was just ok. Piled high it looked the part. I thought long on quantity but short on quality. A restaurant for tourists and certainly cheap and cheerful but the noise was just too much for me and our party.

1  Thank David0731

Dear David0731,

we're sorry to hear that you didn't fully enjoyed the visit. Cheerful and noisy atmosphere is what our fans like the most in Podwale 25. Of course, not everybody likes this kind of atmosphere

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Located at the edge of Old Town, just outside the (rebuilt) wall, and usually with an antique Pilsner Urquell beer truck in the driveway,this is one of the best restaurants I've found in Warsaw. It's not "up-scale" but folksy, very comfortable, bustling place, great and helpful staff. It helps if you have a reservation (particularly on Monday, when the beer is on special), but even without one the friendly staff will try to work you in.

Be warned: the portions are huge. I've seen a schnitzel the size of the large dinner plate, salads literally heaping on the salad plate, and I can't say enough about the Golonka (pig's knuckle) which is extremely tasty but the roasted version normally comes in at over one kilo (great for sharing with a friend). I have noticed that there are some varieties of golonka that are only about 500 grams, and of those the boiled version is very good.

Mainly hearty food, of the type you'll see around Central Europe. If you've never tried it, there is a great Polish dish known as Bigos you should try. Sometimes served in a bowl made from a loaf of rye bread, it is made of mild sauerkraut, cooked with with mushrooms, pork, and I think I tasted dried plums (?). Bigos has a number of styles, each probably the family recipe of the particular cook, and the version I've had at this restaurant has been truly outstanding.

They offer different beers (in both liter and .4 liter mugs) to help wash the food down, and I'd recommend Tyskie, a Polish beer (albeit not from Warsaw) that I really like. When I was there, they were running a special on beer on Mondays, as I mentioned above.

The prices are very reasonable, and the staff usually bring a complimentary glass of a cherry liquor for each patron along with the bill. You'll leave with a full stomach, a wallet that hasn't been depleted, and pleasant memories of a wonderful meal.

Tomasz B, Guest Relations Manager at Podwale Kompania Piwna, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you Don T for your review!
We're very happy that you've liked Bigos and that you have pleasant memories from our restaurant
Hope to see you soon again:)