“Best Steak Tartare in an Open Kitchen” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restauracja U Kucharzy - CLOSED

Restauracja U Kucharzy
Cuisines: Polish, European, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Śródmieście Północne
Boston, MA
“Best Steak Tartare in an Open Kitchen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was visiting Warsaw and Poland for the first time. I was there for a conference at the National Museum. After a day of seminars, about 10 of us repaired to a wine bar on Nowy Swiat. As our numbers dwindled, I asked if I might take the remaining two out to dinner, but… I said, I had a request… that we would eat good and typical Polish food. The curator of Italian Old Master paintings suggested U Kucharzy.

She said that they had an “open kitchen” and that I would see what she meant. We arrived and were seated in the “gallery” that overlooked the kitchen on benches that had a board that looked down in tiered seating directly into the preparations of the food. The kitchen was a bee hive of activity. We ordered beer and vodka, steak tartare, braised beef ribs and pickled beets. The tartare was among the very best I have ever had: prepared in front of us by being hand chopped, the quality and care really showed. So three meals, 6 drinks, cost 230.50PL. Was that a lot for three? About $20.00 each before tip. Now to that tipping thing, Poland hasn’t quite figured it out. There was no evidence that it was included in the bill, but I asked anyway. They said service was not included. But when I paid in cash, I had a little trouble getting change. They apparently thought that since I had asked, that the balance of the cash would be the tip. Finally I got the change and left that and a bit more as a tip.

• Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Very good food and nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Visited this place a few times and had excellent food and service every time. Especially order steak tartar as they come out and prepare it in front of you.

There is one table in the kitchen area so you can sit "with the chefs" and see them working.

• Visited August 2012
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“This restaurant is well worth the visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

As many have said an ex hotel rally an industrial kitchen. But actually with steak tartare prepared next to the table they are a real restaurant not just a gimmick.

The food was fine but the menu choice was not that wide.

Food was cheap and seemed good quality, certainly tasty.

But when we came to pay the bill worryingly the waiter accidently charged each of us the full price, rather than half each. Was it really a mistake or were they trying it on, we both felt a mistake, but either way just keep on your toes.

• Visited March 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Polish olden times charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had no idea what that restaurant had to offer, taken there by a friend who entertains her media clients there regularly and who wanted to treat us to the "authentic" Polish experience.
At first we were a little bit taken aback with the noise of the place, and frenetic atmosphere, which was not conducive to intimate conversations. Then, it started to grow on us. My husband, who had lived for a couple of years in Poland in the 1970s, was taken back in time. The staff were as if taken out of that era, the food was brought to the table on frying pans, and served out of those. The decor is basic and roughish (although Ikea accents stood out a little bit form the otherwise rather authentic time-travel).
So, the overall experience was very good - food was good, the concept was entertaining. It is, however, more of a conceptual dining than a culinary experience. Still, highly recommended if you want to feel a little bit what it might have been to dine in Warsaw a few decades back.

• Visited January 2013
Stavern, Norway
“Busy resturant with an athmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant is one of my favorites in Warsaw. The main reason is the busy atmosphere. It is located in a bit rough setting. You can watch the chefs making the food. It is mostly honest freshly made polish style food, i.e. the meals are generous. The beef tartar is recommended. It is made next to you table.
If you look for a romantic setting with nice chairs: stay clear.

• Visited February 2013