“One word: disapponted”
Review of U Fukiera

U Fukiera
Ranked #314 of 2,921 Restaurants in Warsaw
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Miasto
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went there alone on the last day of my stay in Warsaw (5 days in total). I read about this restaurant here on TripAdvisor and I also heard about Magda Gessler, her talent and fame from my husband's business colleagues.
Of course I had high expectation about this place. When I arrived there in the early afternoon the restaurant was empty except of me and some family of 4 people from Ukraine. I was hungry and cold. So here we go... I was met by one of the staff. He was sitting on the upstairs checking his mobile. He looked at me and did not stood up continuing his doings. The other guy was fast to appear and to take care of my clothes. I was showed to one of the many eating halls. I was placed near the window and an oven. That was appreciated very much. Great interior and music by the way. I enjoyed it immensely. I ordered Golden bouillon with a variety of meats and vegetables and Veal cutlets polish style with quail eggs and fresh cucumber salad. No water because I was cold and did not want to be more colder because of that. According to the raised eyebrow, the waiter was not happy about me not ordering any beverages. By the way when I saw the price list, my expectation got even more higher. During 4 previous day I usually pay around 30 zlotyh for the second course and here it costs 85.
The soup arrived quite fast. It was good but gosh it was spicy. I could barely eat it. Maybe they expected me to buy water after all?! I don't know what to think. But seriously, lots of red pepper in the soup. I managed to eat the half of it together with bread. Without so much pepper it would taste good actually. Once again the raised eyebrow of the waiter, when he saw I did not finish the meal. I explained that it was too much pepper in it that's why I could no eat the whole plate of it. Was he convened? The second course arrived a bit later. 4 peaces of veal cutlets, 5 small potatoes and lots of cucumber slices with some sauce. It was an ordinary taste. I was hungry as a wolf, but I did not enjoyed the meal at all. Every woman and man can make the same meal at home with the same result. That's where the disappointment arrived at its fullest.
I ate almost all of it and was sitting there with an empty plate together with the family of 4 (and their empty plates) for at least 5 min. Annoyance grew harder, because suddenly all the waiters disappeared. Then one arrived and took the plates from the table of the family and disappeared. Then came in a Polish pair with another waiter. They were placed. And then alas! the waiter was explaining them the whole menu what they can get, what they recommend, what is the most popular and so on and so forth for a minute. Is this service included for the Polish only? Sooner or later my waiter arrived and took away my plate. I asked for the bill right away. I did not want to order any coffee or tea, because I have already planned to go to A. Brikle to try the pastries there. The bill arrived after some minutes and then again no waiters for almost 5 minutes. Then I paid my 120 zlotyh for the average 2 courses and waited for the change. 5 minutes again. Just when I was about to stand up and get my change, the waiter appear smiling with it. Needless to say I left no drinks, although I always do.
When I went outside of the eating hall, 4 waiters were standing on my way looking at the mobile phone belonging to one of them and discussing something. That's what they were doing for the last 15-20 minutes. They did not see me, but I still needed my clothes. So I interrupted their nice interaction asking for my jacket. One of them disappeared to get my jacket, the rest continued studying the mobile, ignoring me. What a service! I managed to squeeze myself between them to get to the entrance and waiting for my jacket there. The man who is working at the entrance, opening the doors, helping to put on the jackets and so on was sitting with his back towards me and writing an e-mail on www.gmail.com on a computer. What a service once again! When the waiter arrived with my jacket, the man suddenly remembered his duties. I was helped to put on the jacket by the waiter and he open the door for me. This is the end of the story. Thank you for reading it to the end.

My conclusions:
1) extremely overpriced for basically an average meal. I usually paid 60 zlotyh for 4 meals (for me and my husband), one beer, one hot non-alcohol drink for me and some dessert sometimes. Here the bill was 120 zlotyh for one person: 2 meals and 4 pieces of bread
2) if you are Polish, it is a great advantage definitely. The service is different right away
3) it is a much better place when you come with a big group. Then you won't be ignored
4) service leaves much to be desired. they should work on it harder
5) winter with almost no tourists is not the best season for any restaurants. I bet this restaurant is more interested in guests during summer
6) no doubt that the restaurant was really famous for its meals at some time when it was newly opened, that's where the high prices come from, but something has changed with the quality of the dishes. It got worse
7) I am happy for those people who had a great time at this restaurant. You were lucky if you had. Mine experience of this place was spoiled.

2  Thank Anna Z

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This restaurant is located on one of the squares at the old town. Very nice restaurant, friendly waiters and nice choice of food including Polish specialties. A good restaurant for a pure, simple, but good dinner. Be mindful of the waiters as they will recommend only the most expensive wines so make your own choice!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have been to U Ferkiera about 3 times over the past couple of years, and this time, I was really disappointed. While the atmosphere is always exceptional, I thought the food was 'ok' but really overpriced. I think this restaurant caters to the business diners who have generous expense accounts. But when you're paying for this yourself - it can be very expensive and unnecessarily so . We went to another restaurant down Freta street to an establishment of the same name and had a very good meal at half the price. Last point - service was not attentive this night. We had to find the waiter to rectify a coffee order, and it appears all the wait staff were outside having a smoke - no one was around.

2  Thank Margaux1225
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We decided to splurge and enjoy the dining experience of Warsaw's Fukier restaurant. Yes, the bill was high, but we tried not to think about that and instead enjoyed each course of our meal. It was worth the extravagance to experience this menu and old world charm.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Not sure how to describe this restaurant, it is something out of a a Dickensian novel come to life expecailly with the Xmas decororations. Food and service are excellent -got to go at least once on your trip!