“Quiet place smack down in the city centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Helvetia

Hostel Helvetia
Ranked #9 of 273 Specialty Lodging in Warsaw
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Quiet place smack down in the city centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

A clean, no fuzz hostel. We stayed in a 6 bed doorm with your typical bunk beds (wooden.. not the rubbish metal type though). The best thing about this place is the location; walking distance to both the old town and Nowy Swiat (shopping/restaurant district).
Don't expect to meet loads of new friends at this place, I wouldn't define this place as a typical "youth hostel" as the age of the visitors where above avarage. But if you're like me and my friends; only looking for a cheap place to sleep between 05.00 in the morning and brunchtime; this place suits the bill. Breakfast was included, but I never tried it (having food in a restaurant in Warszaw costs next to nothing).

Room Tip: If you're traveling during the summer, try to get a room not facing the street. It gets hot in t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank floatpoint

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a twin room, it was clean and nice enough. Location was fantastic and it only took about 5 minutes to walk into the old town. Place was generally clean and a couple staff members were friendly and helpful.
I left a diamond necklace in the room in this hostel though and when contacting them afterwards the staff were rude and sarcastic and of course stated nothing was found.

• Stayed April 2012
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed in Hostel Helvetia for three nights and was happy with it. I had booked a three bed female only room, which was comfortable and clean. I arrived a little earlier than expected ( I had taken an earlier train from Krakow) but was disappointed to find that I couldn't get into the room until 2 o'clock. Someone else was in the room already, so I wasn't sure what the problem was. The hostel was very close to the main tourist area of Warsaw, just a few minute's walk from the Royal Route.
The breakfast was good, with plenty of bread, cheese, ham and cereal. I did think it was quite strange to have to pay for a towel - I thought most good hostels these days provided these free.
The hostel felt very secure - a code, which was changed daily, gave you access through the main door instead of a key.
I was glad I chose the smaller room rather than a large dorm. It was a little more expensive but worth it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Fiona P
r
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed in an 8 beds dorm, and it was nice, although the lockers weren´t too big, but our backpack fitted there, so no probs.
Bathrooms are ok, but there was just 2 toilets for all dorms, so if you were in a hurry, better run up and downstairs. It´s fair to say there were 4 female showers and 2 mixed, but there wasn´t much privacity (as you opened the bath door you could be seen from the corridor). And they weren´t very clean, maybe too many people for so few bathrooms.
The kitchen was ok, small but enough for what you may need, but again could be cleaner (mouldy smell).
Common room was nice, you could meet people an have an own space for reading, watching TV... but one of the two computers were out of service, so we had to queue for Internet (15 min 1 PLN).
The staff was kind to us, and helped in what we needed.
Our stay was ok, but I would rather try another hostel, tough it wasn´t was I expected from the photographs on their web.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

Our stay at Hostel Helvetia was ok. Rooms are quite tight with reasonably small lockers, and showers could be better - not much space to store clothes when in shower, which is behind a curtain.
The staff are friendly but unfortunately one of our group had a bad experience which staff were unable to resolve; her bed was remade in error and she lost a sheet and her pyjamas.
Breakfast is included and is basic but nice, served in the common room. Common room is a decent size, only problem with this area is that the Internet is not provided free, which is not useful in a backpacking situation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

This place has the nicest staff, a clean facility, free breakfast, and comfortable rooms. The location is central to Warsaw making it easy to get around. Also, there is free WiFi if you have your own laptop/computer. Like I said, best hostel in Warsaw.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed at this hostel for three nights and thought it was good for the price we paid. The location is great – right near the University and a 15-20 walk from Old Town. It seemed to be in a safe neighborhood and the hostel has a daily door code that made me feel good about leaving my stuff there while I was out sightseeing.

Inside the hostel. The rooms are ok, but I felt they should have swept the floor more efficiently. It seemed that even though there was a woman cleaning constantly, the floor still had pieces of dirt that would then get tracked back to my room (which was not cleaned daily). Perhaps they need a vacuum instead of a broom. No matter, the showers were clean (though I still wore shower shoes. Hello! It’s a hostel, not your house). The toilet areas were clean, though again, the floors should have been swept twice per day.

Don’t expect to sleep late here (though why would you want to?? Warsaw is beautiful!). There was some noise that woke me up two mornings in a row. It was like this: whhhiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr boom! I have no idea what it was, but it was quite loud. Also, It sounded like we had left the door open because it was so loud any time someone walked by or had a conversation. The doors must be hollow or something.

BUT, the redeeming factors: the location is awesome and the staff are super nice and helpful! When the internet wasn’t working on my laptop, they went above and beyond their duty. They gave us an hour of free internet on their computer so we could write home and say that we had arrived safely in Warsaw. They always spoke to us when we left or came back and the guy at the front helped me carry my VERY heavy bag down the stairs when we left. So nice!!

Please do not be deterred by what I have written in the first few paragraphs, but I have to be honest in my account. It was worth the money we paid and we would consider staying again. However, we would ask for a room away from the street and ask if they would mind sweeping twice per day. ☺

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple