“People gentle and efficiente”

Teatr Wielki - Polish National Opera
Ranked #54 of 392 things to do in Warsaw
More attraction details
Owner description: The Teatr Wielki - Polish National Opera is Poland's leading opera, ballet and concert venue, where rich tradition and a clear vision for the future meet. Offering each season a host of first-rate productions - many developed in co-production with international partners - the opera house contributes significantly to the richness of Poland's cultural life. The Teatr Wielki's building, erected in the first half of the 19th century according to a design by Italian architect Antonio Corazzi, was a haven for Polish culture and heritage at a time when the country was under foreign occupation from 1772 to 1918. After a short spell of Poland's independence, the Teatr Wielki was turned into rubble as Warsaw succumbed to German forces at the onset of World War II. Rebuilt from ruins, the opera house reopened just over 50 years ago, in 1965, and is currently home to the Polish National Opera, Polish National Ballet, and Opera Gallery. It is a place where the universal idea of synthesis of the arts has been consistently put in action, providing audiences with superb works by leading contemporary artists to see and savour. Being a thoroughly modern institution, it draws from the synergy of various ideas, goals, and aspirations.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went to see the ballet on April 30th. And i bought my ticket in the internet and foe some how is was not there. So I asked for help, it came a theatre's manages. She was very nice and helpful. She bought me stand by tickets and put me even in one of the best places. I will be grateful forever. For thr ballet, for the theatre and for the people

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Saw the Polish National Ballet perform The Rite of Spring to celebrate the centenary of Nijinsky's original choreography. There were also two other choreographies to the same music. I must say, I preferred Maurice Bejart's version.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

A big elegant hall at the center of Warsaw. I liked the building from the outside very much. However, I didn't find the inside very special or impressing, neither the structure nor the decoration.
Very elegant and well designed, of course, that's why it worth a visit, but I missed the factor that would make it overwhelming, like "La Scala" in Milan or "Palau de la Musica" in Barcelona.
Unfortunately, the acoustics is no comfort, as it's very "dry", means that the sound disappears in a blink of an eye without leaving any resonance behind.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Opera House is a big imposing old building a little way from the old town, the actual auditorium is more modern inside. There was a tiny cafe where I couldn't get a seat to sit down after I'd bought my coffee. Big free cloakroom but queues for small toilets, same as everywhere.
Had bought a ticket online which I collected just before, but it wasn't the actual seat I'd selected. Not ultra posh, but everyone well turned out, so felt a little too casually dressed.
Chaos on leaving, as it was raining/snowing, but managed to get a taxi to get me away.
Opera itself was underwhelming - many of the singers seemed second rate, and the production and acting were old fashioned. The whole thing lacked portrayal of emotion and didn't engage you. Good orchestra though and some moving chorus pieces in the second half.

1  Thank Abby2007London
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have been to several shows here - both opera and ballet. It is a facility you must see. The communists always liked their "arts," so it has an historical feel to it. Since it was rebuilt during that era, they allowed it to be rebuilt as an historical museum-type building. Go see something there! I take students to Poland and we always go there!!

1  Thank N. J. M