“OK for hostel , but reception stuff could be more efficient”

Nathan's Villa Hostel Warsaw
Ranked #111 of 317 Specialty Lodging in Warsaw
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The location is excellent (20 min. to walk to the city center and main railway station ), the rooms and other facilities were clean, the overall staff was nice and friendly, however the reception was not very prompt and efficient. The lockers for private belongings had no keys (the offered excuse was –“someone probably just forgot to return it, so it is nothing we can do about it”) , the laundry was not done on time (“sorry, we had a problems with the washing mashing”) and etc.

Conclusion – good place for the easy –going backpackers who looking for place just to sleep overnight, but probably not good enough for other kind of travelers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 21, 2013

First impressions were immediately bad, there was a really nasty smell of drains in the reception area but as my room seemed OK I thought I may as well stay so as not to lose my deposit/first nights fee and I didn't want to spend my holiday looking for somewhere else to stay, that's not why I go on holiday.
Unfortunately, my room (Room A on the first floor,a private double room) was directly above the reception and the smell very quickly built up once I closed the window that was open when I first arrived.
This left me with the dilemma of enduring the smell or sleeping in the cold with the added benefit of the smell of smoke from people smoking outside the main entrance. I went for the option of shivering through the night.
The kitchen was Ok but it's quite small for the size of the hostel with only one fridge and cooker.
The bathrooms were reasonable but I could see them being inadequate if the hostel was full.
With all this combined I did my best to stay out of the place.
The final insult came as I was packing my bag to leave on Sunday. When I knelt down to pick up something that fell under the bed I found, along with other detritus, 2 used condoms! Pretty disgusting you have to admit!

This place only gets 2 stars because the reception staff were reasonably friendly and the WiFi was free.

I very much doubt I'll visit again.

Room Tip: Chose one somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Nathan's Villa is a nice hostel located in the centre of Warsaw. It took me some time to get there, as the place is quite tucked away and therefore (at least for me and some taxi drivers) pretty hard to find.

Once inside it's quite nice, very friendly staff and okay rooms. The bathroom is really modern and nice, but it seemed to me that it did not get cleaned daily/properly.

The kitchen is also very nice and modern, also a bit messy but I hold sloppy guests accountable for that:)

Overall I have had a very nice stay at this hostel. I met some lovely people, the staff was cool, it's cheap and it's located near a couple of milkbars so I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having booked at under £10/head for a stag do we came here expecting the worst and were pleasantly surprised. In terms of location the square opposite provides a variety of restaurants while the town centre and bus/train stations are within easy walking distance. The clubbing district is a little further away but there are frequent and inexpensive taxis running to and from so this wasn't really an issue either.

The hostel itself was very clean, the staff polite and friendly and particularly helpful both in working out how to release a member of our party from prison and looking after our valuables while we were there. The beds were pretty comfy and there were various large areas to chill out, all the residents we met were very friendly. Use of the hostel computers was quick and easy but not really necessary due to the free wifi and abundance of plugs for phone charging, not that you need internet for christ's sake, you're in poland, go and enjoy the dirt cheap vodka!

All in all a great hostel that served to host an even greater trip - Warstour 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bean M
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed in both the one is Warsaw and Krakow. Warsaw one is nicer but both are nice. We really like it here. We were in the main building. It was about a 15 minute walk from the central train station and the 'ghostbuster building". You will know it when you see it. Tallest, nicest building around. Or watch the movie. Turn down the street that Novotel is on and walk until you get to the street that the hostel is on. Ghostbuster building will be to your back. Novotel will be on your left. If you arrive at the Zarcony station and you will if you are on Eurolines bus, you have to get a bus to the central (Take the pedestrian tunnel to the other side of the road to catch bus) but get off right after the ghostbuster building (next stop after central station). Back to the hostel. We had a really nice time there. It is big with lots of common spaces with comfy couches. REALLY clean. Beds comfy. Dorms set up with nice big lockers. There was a light, shelf and plug next to each bed. Really cool! The kitchen is the best we have seen in a hostel in a long time. Stainless steel appliances, two fridges, big eating area. Just watch your toes on the board in between the kitchen and dining room. Got me twice! The staff was really nice and spoke perfect English. We had to have something mailed to the American Express office and the girl called them for me to verify. Free wi-fi worked well but only in the kitchen/dining and common room next to the kitchen. They also had free computers downstairs. We had a late night bus and they stored our bags and let us hang out downstairs using their wi-fi all day. The showers were pretty nice. However, the lock on the one nearest the kitchen was either broken or I couldn't figure it out. I think the showers on the floor below the kitchen were nicer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

MAYBE YOU THINK that you can’t go to Hell before you die. Wrong. Nathan’s Hostel in Warsaw would be an excellent place to sample it beforehand.

We took a flatlet in this hostel for a week.

Our room had:
(i) intermittent hot water;
(ii) satellite receiver not working;
(iii) toilet seat broken (fixed later);
(iv) insects eating our bedclothes;
(v) no wardrobe (or towel rail in bathroom);
(vi) Our room faced into an echoing courtyard. Directly opposite is a school, so kids playing during the day.

Now the really bad news:

It appears that our flatlet was designed for school teachers whilst looking after their flock. Every few days, this hostel has an intake of about 30-50 school kids on 2 day tours of Warsaw, but they only had 2 teachers per group and these teachers slept on a different floor.

On our floor, to our left were 2 small rooms, into which they crammed SIX 9/10 year old girls IN EACH ONE. To our right, the communal loo/showers they had to use. Result: total pandemonium. All the girls, totally unsupervised, completely out of control, shouting and screaming all night long, running up and down the corridor past our room to get to the toilet and slamming doors. Impossible to sleep under such conditions.

The room was totally unsuitable for letting out to private individuals such as ourselves whilst rioting schoolkids next door.

Room Tip: Best avoided, at least in Block D
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marta-Manager, General Manager at Nathan's Villa Hostel Warsaw, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Andrew,
Your room was thoroughly inspected after you departure by a qualified company, as we take any 'bug issue' very seriously- we found nothing of the sort. There we no bugs nor moths- not sure how to explain tiny holes in your garments- faulty washing machine perhaps?

As for a school group- all I can do is to apologise one more time, as we did while you were still our guest.
The group went out for a dinner, the food didn't agree with them. Quite a few kids had a food poisoning- two on your floor were the most extreme cases. Teachers were overwhelmed by the number of sick kids. As you already know, as we informed you the next day, we actually had to call an ambulance, so they could get professional help.
It was just an unbelievably bad luck that all this happened during your stay- I can imagine that the whole Warsaw experience would be shadowed by sleepless nights.

I've been running this Hostel for over years now, I am very passionate about the business and satisfied guests are my top priority. Your review was like a knife in a heart really...

I can assure you, and anyone reading this, that all problems mentioned were taken care of.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

WiFi in the second building is terrible!! I brought my own notebook and I had big troubles to connect with the wifi. When I finally did (after an hour of clicking "refresh" and changing tons of stuffs in the settings) it was really slow. In the reception desk they told my if I can't connect with WiFi I can use the computers in the building A (where the reception desk is).... yeaaah right. I brought my own computer (which is quite heavy) not because I like to travel with it and to play solitaire!!
To say something good - the rooms are really nice - but come on! One shower for 10 people?
Stuff is also frendly.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in Building A where (according to the stuff) WiFi is better
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KateMid

Hello, I'm very happy to report that, based on our guests suggestion, we recently added two new WiFi routers, so there shouldn't be any more problems with our WiFi :)
best regards,