“exactly what we needed...”

Mamaison Hotel Le Regina Warsaw
Ranked #7 of 127 Hotels in Warsaw
Reviewed December 29, 2010

well located, comfortable hotel in a lovely setting - we used it as a break away from the kids which my wife and i both enjoyed. a small but nice pool and good sauna were an added bonus.

for those of you visiting warsaw its in walking distance of the old town and main streets for a good wonder around.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,280)

Reviewed December 20, 2010

My wife, 13 year old son and I spent 3 nights at the Le Regina in mid-July, 2010. I recommend the hotel, with some cautions.

First, the facts:

We stayed in a two bedroom Le Regina suite. We had a very large living room, separated from the master by sliding opaque glass doors. The master had a bathroom, and a closet. Our son had a second bedroom with bath (which could be a separate room), which connected to the living room through two locked doors. For whatever reason, the hotel didn’t offer a good way to keep both of the doors open (and, when closed they were locked). We used folded magazine reply cards – surely the hotel should have had something designed for this.

The furnishings were modern – I’d describe them as Scandinavian modern, and in good condition. I don’t find that style of furnishings to be all that comfortable, but they were comfortable enough. The bedding was decent, and the linens high quality. There was ample hot water. Oddly (although this was true throughout our Polish trip except for the Marriott Warsaw at the very end), there were only foam pillows. Maybe Poles don’t like feather pillows? The lighting in the all of the rooms was very good.

Next, the good:

We arranged an airport pickup. It went flawlessly. Bell service and check in were smooth, and gracious. Our dinner reservation (made in advance) at the hotel’s restaurant, La Rotisserie, was made precisely as requested (see my separate very favorable review of the restaurant). The hotel’s inner courtyard was quite pleasant.

We had drinks with friends in the bar area the first night, and service was prompt and friendly. Breakfast – while not cheap – was decent and the options offered were enough to satisfy. The wife (who just looked over my shoulder) would say “wildly expensive” for what you got. Service at breakfast was good.

The hotel’s location – on the edge of the New Town (part of restored historic Warsaw), was ideal for strolling about the most interesting part of Warsaw. We spent a night at the Warsaw Marriott at the end of the trip, and I can testify that the Le Regina’s location is vastly preferable for a tourist.

Housekeeping (and turndown) was efficient and timely.

Finally, the bad:

Our stay in Warsaw coincided with a spell of extremely hot weather – mid to high 90’s. That’s 20 degrees warmer than the usual Warsaw summer weather. The hotel’s air conditioning, unfortunately, failed to operate consistently throughout our stay.

On all three nights, the vent in our room blew tepid (or even warm) air. So, the bedroom was consistently warm (about 79 to 80 degrees on the two nights I checked). All of our windows were locked, and could not be opened, by the way, so outside air was not an option.

The living room air conditioner operated passably the first two nights, and since we could keep the doors open to the bedroom, served (eventually) to cool the bedroom to the mid 70s. Our son’s air conditioner worked well the first two nights, and cooled his room to the low 70s.

I commented to the desk staff on each of the first two days, but nothing seemed to change.

On the third night, the air conditioning in the lower floors of the hotel failed altogether (as confirmed by the desk staff). To their credit, when I complained I was offered a room on the top floor which had separate (functioning) wall unit airconditioners. I took advantage of the offer, and my wife and I slept in that room the final night. The air conditioning never functioned in the suite that night.

Oddly, once the working day started (and, presumably, the maintenance staff came to work?) the air conditioning in the rest of the hotel started working again (no one bothered to call them the night before?).

I understand that the weather was unseasonably (and, perhaps record setting) warm. That said, one of the reasons to pay the premium to stay in a hotel like the Le Regina is for the confidence that the mechanicals and other basics of a hotel will work and be effective, come what may. The Le Regina failed this basic test.

For most of the year (or maybe even the entire rest of the year), I suspect the Le Regina would have received 5 stars from me. But I can’t give 5 stars when the basics fail. I’d give 3 ½ stars if Tripadvisor would let me. Since I can’t, I’ll round up.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of the local business people he was meeting in Warsaw. We travel a lot both for business and leisure, and the accommodations are a big part of our trip planning and the enjoyment we get from a trip. And Le Regina did not disappoint! To date, it is now one of my favorite hotels. While the outside has a lovely historical exterior, the inside has a modern chic feel to it. Well appointed and updated. We stayed in one of the upgrade rooms (with access to a patio & courtyard). The room was huge with warm, chocolate brown design elements, comfortable bedding, large flatscreen TV, large bathroom with very stylish fixtures and towel warming rack. The free WiFi was a wonderful bonus! Our room included the breakfast buffet each morning, which had a nice mix of hot and warm offerings. (Other than breakfast, we didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment further on the food.) The staff was always very helpful and spoke solid English, which was very much appreciated. Since we were in the midst of our trip, we had some of our clothes laundered and despite being expensive, they were delivered wrapped like packages with ribbons. Very classy touches. Plus, the hotel's location and access to the historic square/area is fantastic. While my husband was at meetings, I just roamed around the area taking pictures, touring various landmarks, etc. Unfortunately, the weather was gray and cool the whole time we were there, but obviously, no one can control that :) Overall, if I ever was to visit Warsaw again, I wouldn't stay anywhere else and I would recommend anyone visiting Warsaw to stay at Le Regina.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank thefair
Reviewed November 24, 2010

This was our second visit to the Le Regina. We stayed there in 2009 and loved it so much that we were anxious to stay there again on our most recent trip. We had a different room this time and the room was just as lovely as the room on our previous trip. They are spacious and bright and the beds are very comfortable. Bathroom was big with double sinks. Breakfasts are still too expensive, so we did not have breakfast at the hotel.

When we arrived I noticed a rather strong odor of cigarette smell in the lobby area. We were out and about the first day/night and went straight to our room. Fine for the first night. Again the next day when we were walking through the lobby - also where the breakfast area is - there was the cigarette smell. When we came back from our day I wanted to have a glass of wine in the bar/lobby area but I was so put off by the cigarette smell that we went to our room. After dinner out we came back to our room and the smell of cigarettes on our floor and wafting into our room was obvious. I called down to the front desk and asked the clerk what in the heck was going on and she said that we were on the smoking floor! That was news to us because there was no designation that this was a smoking floor. Shortly after I called down, however, the smoking stopped.

The next morning when we checked out I visted with the Front Office Manager - whom we had met from our previous visit and I commented on my disappointment with the smoke smell in the lobby/front desk/ bar area (all one big area connected together) and she responded "Yes, it is a problem now that we are not allowing people to smoke in their rooms - they are all coming to the lobby!" I said "Well someone was smoking next to our room last night" and she said "Well, then they will get fined!". Apparently no one had told her there was a smoking floor or the person at the desk from the night before didn't know it had been eliminated! We visited several other hotels which I would consider of the same caliber as the Regina when we were in Warsaw and in none of them did I detect the same cigarette smoke smell that is now prevalent at the Regina. It really detracts from this wonderful hotel and I hope they figure out a solution that other hotels have apparently been able to do.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colleen_travelqu
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We saw many hotels and this one was absolutely great in every sense!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed in Le Regina in September for two nights. The service was outstanding and so was the food and the rooms. This hotel understands what makes the service!!! Thanks to the whole staff for hospiallity, my stay was perfect experience. If you want to relax and visit the beautiful city Warsaw, go for the Le Regina which makes your days! The location is very quiet but only 2 minutes walk to the Old Town.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank zdehli
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I`v been to so many hotels, but this one is the best so far!
Location perfect: Old Town, Stuff very helpfull. They made a restaurant reservation and called a cab for us. Very nice, big rooms with a large bathroom. Chocolate waiting for us on the pillows each day. In the evening we were asked if they can prepare our bad for the night ;) Huge towels, nice bathrobes. Very good price.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple