“Moving piece of art work”

Jewish Ghetto Memorial
Ranked #15 of 340 things to do in Warsaw
Naples, Florida
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Moving piece of art work”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This bass relief and sculpture is very poignant and moving. Each of the two sides is different. Enjoyed best if you have a guide to explain it to you. Among the best things we saw in Warsaw.

1 Thank dgfromnapoli

• Turkish first
Hallandale Beach, Florida
232 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“A Fine Memorial to Suh a Sad Event”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Located adjacent to the new Jewish Museum that just opened this beautiful sculpture successfully captures the travails but the ultimate triumph of the human sppirit.

Sydney, Australia
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 673 helpful votes
“Very Emotional place no matter where you are from”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

When my wife & I travelled to Poland, and a pretty little town called Oswiecim, just nearby we visited a terrible place.
My beautiful wife collected a lovely smooth rock from the ground where we visited.
I collect rocks from all places we have travelled and this was going to be a very special rock from our trip, based on the history this small item had seen and endured since the Nazi's built hell on earth we all know as Auschwitz.
This small rock if could speak, would tell hundreds of thousands of stories, hopes, dreams, sadness and sorrow. Also this small rock would have seen and bore witness to some of the worlds most unbelievable atrocities, unspeakable acts of terror, violence, humiliation and also cowardes & courage.
WOW
What a thing I have just placed in my pocket!

This troubled me to the point of not wanting to keep this in my pocket, however we both needed to never forget what we have now witnessed and needed to remember every time we picked up or looked at this wonderful little rock.

UNTIL:

We were brought to this most stunningly beautiful Jewish Ghetto Memorial.
Without saying a word to each other, my wife gestured at the monument, and I knew exactly what we both wanted and needed to do with this little rock.

The day we arrived, it was sub zero temperatures, very icy and snowing.
I made the journey to the upper step of the memorial, grabbed the little rock from my pocket, and placed it alongside others that adorned the steps of this magnificent piece of architecture.
The feelings of sadness, happiness, relief, sorry all flooded through me as I placed this stone.

A truly amazing feeling at a truly amazing memorial.

Ensure you get a local tour guide to show you all about this monument, as well as everything else that happened in this beautiful town.

A MUST see before traveling to Warsaw is Adrian Broadie in "The Pianist" If history is your thing, this movie is a must see for all who will travel to Warsaw.

Please be careful as this monument when wet, or icy, is totally void of any type of traction and slippery beyond imagination.

However I survived.
Millions who this memorial is dedicated to did not.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank Patrick R
Brighton, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very moving”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stopped at this beautiful memorial on our recent holiday - whatever your views/religion/politics of the 2nd World War, I defy anyone not to be totally moved by the experience of just being in this place - it is extremely humbling, and more so when we were told that there are now only 1% of Jewish people now living in Warsaw.

Visited June 2014
SG
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Wished there was more to see but nonetheless don't miss it if you are a history buff.”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Don't expect too much. Very little was preserved given the tumultuous times but a gallant effort. You need to be interested in history to get the most out of this. A good guide is important otherwise you won't be able to place the right context on this if you come from outside Europe/have no European/Jewish ties.