“Had to pay to get in and needs weed eating”

Jewish Cemetery (Cmentarz Zydowski)
Book In Advance
More Info
$43.05*
and up
Private Tour: Warsaw's Jewish Heritage by Retro Fiat
Ranked #25 of 369 things to do in Warsaw
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1799-1806, this scenic and nostalgic cemetery features marble and sandstone tombstones called masebas, which reveal delicately carved symbols and ornaments, and the symbolic grave of the famous writer and teacher Janusz Korczak (1878-1942) who died in the gas chambers of Aushwitz.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

You have to take a tram from the center. It wasn't long. My husband and I always go to cemeteries. They are always serene and peaceful. You can also tell a lot about a culture by the way they treat their dead. I have never paid to get into one - even in the Jewish eastern European ones that are memorials to the Holocaust. The price was cheap but still something seemed wrong about paying to get in to a cemetery. I was expecting a normal cemetery. What I found was an weed infested, overgrown shrubbery disgrace. It looks like they haven't even tried to keep the place in shape. My husband said that maybe they were trying to keep it looking like it did when the Germans got done with it. Plus there aren't many Jewish people left in Warsaw to take care of it. In my mind, I thought it was disrespectful to the dead. Especially since they charge to get in. Saying that...it was a very pretty with all the trees and the huge amount of tombstones. They were very old and crumbling. A lot of stones were knocked over. That happens with age and is understandable. In a strange way, the place was beautiful. Photography people could spend all day there. What was worth seeing for me was the more modern memorials to the war dead. The one for children really got me. It is worth going to but just be prepared that it isn't well taken care of.

4  Thank DONNA S
There are newer reviews for Jewish Cemetery (Cmentarz Zydowski)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is an amazing experience - especially because the kind man in the office was able to tell us where my husband's great grandmother's grave was located. He gave explicit directions and we surprisingly found it in good condition after 74 years.

3  Thank Phyllis1940
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We just roamed around on our own. Interesting, sad, scary, beautiful...all at the same time. I expect it would be great to do with a guide or on a tour but just as good as a random visitor. A memorable part of our trip to Warsaw. (Lots of mozzies)

1  Thank CathrynU
Reviewed June 25, 2013

You are surrounded by history. Take the time to read the headstones and the dates. There are not many Jewish sites still intact, and this is one that is.

2  Thank daylilly50
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a moving monument and gives a history of the Jewish people in Warsaw. The monuments to the memory of so many slaughtered innocents is particularly moving; despite all of the horrors and death there is a peace and tranquility about the cemetry and some of the carvings are amazing

3  Thank GalwayKilkennyDuo