Jewish Historical Institute (Zydowski Instytut Historyczny)
Ranked #109 of 364 things to do in Warsaw
Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“See the movie”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

If you want to understand how the Jews lived and died in Warsaw during WWII, go to this museum and watch the film. It is shocking, but we need to view the shocking if we are to witness a tiny piece of their pain so we make sure it does not happen again.
They also have excellent resources if you are trying to research family.

Visited May 2012

213 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 318 helpful votes
“Good film”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is a very strange museum for a city that had a huge Jewish population. There is an entrance fee, but
the guy at the desk was away, endlessly chatting with the librarian, so we just walked in. First floor had
a large area of photographs, nothing special. The second floor has a fabulous 20-30 minute film showing
Jewish life in Warsaw, and it's destruction. More photos on the third floor. Compared to other museums in
this genre in Poland & the Baltics, this one was very disappointing.

Visited May 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“History becomes real and contemporary”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

The Institute of Jewish History was the first stop on our visit to Warsaw. The facility is compact with a photography exhibit on the first floor dealing mainly with documents about the Ringelblum archives from the Warsaw Ghetto. Upstairs however is a 30 minute film with footage from the Jewish Ghetto. The whole history of the Jewish experience comes alive. The images are shocking and haunting as "modern", affluent, urban life degenerates to ultimate suffering. It is eerie to leave the Institute and step into the same streets and know what went on there. The movie is definitely a must-see and provides an appreciation of pre-war life in Warsaw and its subsequent decline. There was also an interesting temporary photograph exhibit upstairs.

Visited April 2012
Dana Point, California
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Disappointed with this facility.”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I was underwhelmed with this facility. I found the one floor of photos of the Jewish experience in Warsaw very interesting and was pleased that there were English translations for the captions. However, I wished there was more to the exhibition, My biggest disappointment was that I was unable to see the movie that previous reviewers found so extraordinary. I asked to see it but was told they would not play it for just one person, This dour woman made a bad impression, to say the least.

Visited September 2011
germany
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing, Moving account of Jewish History in Warsaw”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

This cultural center is hidden away and hard to get to but very much worth it. It has the most amazing and heartbreaking primary source documentation of the Warsaw Ghetto and the tragic Jewish history in Warsaw. There were only a few people there when we were there. We were invited to see in movie, in English. It was available in many languages. We had no idea what we were sitting down to but it was the most devastating footage of the horrors of the Warsaw Ghetto in the peak of the Holocaust. We'd heard what happened, visited Auschwitz, the Jewish Cemetery and numerous other sites, but this real life footage of people actually living and dying in the ghetto, this real documentation, followed by exhibits of photos and artifacts of the times, was so tragically moving. It gave us a much more complete understanding of what happened in this very city. I was there with my mother, who was alive at the time, in NYC and kept saying, "What did we know?"

I was able to bring this experience back to my students and relate to the reality of this experience and inform them of tragedies going on today, specifically modern day slavery. I ask my students, what do we know about what's going on today, and what can we do about it? This helped shape the beginnings of an important research project.

Warsaw's building a Jewish museum. Hopefully the moving exhibits of this out of the way cultural center will be part of their new museum.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank dondilyons

Travelers who viewed Jewish Historical Institute (Zydowski Instytut Historyczny) also viewed

Warsaw, Mazovia Province

Warsaw, Mazovia Province

Been to Jewish Historical Institute (Zydowski Instytut Historyczny)? Share your experiences!